Axle Build Retainer Question

Autokyrios

Reaction score
So I'm having my 8.8 rebuilt (usually do myself but I don't have time this round) and I've got the option of sticking with C-clips or going to "bolt-in" axles.
I realized I don't actually know much about other types than C-clips so I'm asking for advice. These days I'm primarily cruising the roads but I'm going to get back into road racing (I think my drag racing days are behind me). I heard somewhere that C-clip eliminators were bad for the road. Is that the same as a 'bolt-in' setup? Thoughts?

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Think I answered my own question digging into it. Thought I'd post up here in parallel just in case. Still feel free to give feedback.

From what I found, 'bolt-in' is just another term for c-clip eliminator, and that while some setups do okay on street, they're prone to leak over time and do need regular attention. I think I'll be sticking with my c-clips for now.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
From what I understand there are two different types of ball bearing assemblies that can be used with the “C” clip eliminator plates. One has the sidewall of the races equal on both sides and is low friction but does not like side loads. The other has the races with one sidewall a little higher than the other and has slightly more friction but tolerates side loads. The bearing that tolerates side loads is the one that is included in kits that are recommended for street use. I am using the Strange eliminator kit without complaint and my experience is that if you fit the parts well and put sealant where it should be they do not leak.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I read a Camaro mag or website once, and one thing they envied about the Mustang was the 8.8 and its C clips. Irony abounds.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
C-clip + drum brakes, axle could come out if there was an issue with the clip- enter c clip eliminators.
C-clip + disk brakes, you will never lose an axle. Disc brakes eliminate the need for clip eliminators.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I’ve heard the disc break holding the axle in place statement before but I’m not sure that meets the criteria of a axle retainer as required by the NHRA and other sanctioning organizations. I would not trust it myself. At speed! Oh hell no.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
For the axle to come out with disk brakes: you need a c clip failure, and a rotor to explode. So, yea, I have no issues trusting it on a roadcourse.
NHRA rules are a different story.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I believe the NHRA requires eliminators past a certain time. Yes a rear disc will keep the axle in but the NHRA requires some other form of axle retention.

MrBhp

Reaction score
2.2 AXLE-RETENTION DEVICES

All cars, except some ET cars as noted in Class Requirements, must be equipped with a satisfactory means of rear-axle retention; minimum .120-inch (3 mm) aluminum retainer, or .090-inch (2.3 mm) steel bearing retainer is mandatory. Stock 'C' clip axle retention prohibited as outlined in Class Requirements.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just on the fence about if I want to change things. I could run a higher spline count axle (33 or 35) but there's no going back if I want to switch back to c-clips. If this was a dedicated track car, it wouldn't be a question, but these days I drive much more on the road.

MrBhp

Reaction score
The best thing, for me anyway, is to weld 9" ends on to your 8.8.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Unless you're putting down some serious power and/or launching at high RPM w/slicks, trans brake... a properly built 8.8 is stout enough to handle most common HP/TQ power levels.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back