Base Steering Wheel

v8venom

Face
Reaction score
I have for sale my Base steering wheel that came off of my 2011 GT. From what I understand this wheel will also work on 05-09 models as well. I am located in New Orleans and am looking for $40 shipped plus Paypal fees. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Mike

Attachments

• photo 1-2.jpg
    photo 1-2.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to make it fit my 06? And what all you have to do to get them switched out.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
Not a direct replacement. This strg wheel has the 10 pin clockspring, where the 06 uses the 5 pin clockspring plug. You would have to change the wiring plug to the 05-09 style or change out the harness from the 11 to the 06 steering wheels. Otherwise, they do bolt down the exact same spot and way. It's just the opposite of the 2011 up steering wheels into the 05-09's. You have to rework your cruise control wiring to fit the application.

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Not a direct replacement. This strg wheel has the 10 pin clockspring, where the 06 uses the 5 pin clockspring plug. You would have to change the wiring plug to the 05-09 style or change out the harness from the 11 to the 06 steering wheels. Otherwise, they do bolt down the exact same spot and way. It's just the opposite of the 2011 up steering wheels into the 05-09's. You have to rework your cruise control wiring to fit the application.

This is very simple, I've already done it in the opposite direction. The harness in the wheel is part of the button assy. Just transfer this from the original wheel to the new one. This is how I got that nasty rubbery thing out of my 2011 and replaced it with an 08 Bullitt wheel.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
This is very simple, I've already done it in the opposite direction. The harness in the wheel is part of the button assy. Just transfer this from the original wheel to the new one. This is how I got that nasty rubbery thing out of my 2011 and replaced it with an 08 Bullitt wheel.

That is what I am saying. It isn't a direct replacement as another said. You do have to modify or switch the wiring and some of the guys don't like doing wiring, so I was pointing out the problem they might have.

v8venom

Face
Reaction score
AKdoggie thank you for clarifying that. Like I said I wasn't sure if it was or not so I did not want to misrepresent the item.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
I didn't think you were. I just didn't want someone with no wiring savvy to try and do it, and get all upset that it wouldn't plug together. Love your avatar by the way.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
You don't need any wiring savvy. The wires are part of the button assembly. Just transfer the entire button assembly from one wheel to the other.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
You don't need any wiring savvy. The wires are part of the button assembly. Just transfer the entire button assembly from one wheel to the other.

How are you going to trade a single row switch with a double row switch? It can't be done. It doeen't fit the mount. 2011 have the double rows - 2005-09 have the single row. How is it done? The plugs are different between 05's up and the 2010 up. I just relooked at his picture, I've not seen a 2011 up with a single row. His has this. Hmmm. You would still have to redo the clockspring as the 0509 has a 5 pin cs. and the 2010 up has a 10 pin clock spring. How to switch that without rewiring?

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
How are you going to trade a single row switch with a double row switch? It can't be done. It doeen't fit the mount. 2011 have the double rows - 2005-09 have the single row. How is it done? The plugs are different between 05's up and the 2010 up. I just relooked at his picture, I've not seen a 2011 up with a single row. His has this. Hmmm. You would still have to redo the clockspring as the 0509 has a 5 pin cs. and the 2010 up has a 10 pin clock spring. How to switch that without rewiring?

My 2011 is single row, as are many others.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
Some reason, our dealer doesn't order many base models. They don't sell well here. Probably why i haven't run across many.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score

I have a base model steering wheel from a 2012 in my 05 GT. I just swapped out the wiring harness from my old unit to the new one. I left the buttons on there. The harness is what you need to change. Most difficult part is pushing down the little tab on the back of the switch to release the wiring.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
I have a base model steering wheel from a 2012 in my 05 GT. I just swapped out the wiring harness from my old unit to the new one. I left the buttons on there. The harness is what you need to change. Most difficult part is pushing down the little tab on the back of the switch to release the wiring.

Is the base wheel any different for 2012 than your old 05 wheel? What is different? I see in Venon's picture that it looks just like the 07 take off from my car.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
the only difference I can notice is the lights in the buttons are blue instead of green.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
the only difference I can notice is the lights in the buttons are blue instead of green.

Don't you have a 10 pin clockspring in your car? We only have a 5 pin in our 05-09s. That was my question on fitting. They are two totally different clocksprings.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back