broke all 8 plugs!

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
do you have any idea how much faster it would of been to just pull them like you would any other plug and then used the tool on the ones that break

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I just looked up my COP numbers last night on my '08, and was dismayed to find that I have the old style plugs. Shit. With 20k miles, I'm thinking it's time to do a plug change.

I would!!

Do it... I have over 76k miles on my car and have to do the job.... I'm going to follow the TSB, but fear that not all of them are going to come out. I shall be following the TSB to the T however.

Man, when I was helping a buddy of mine do his, it took us a LONG time to do them. But, we had a can of PB Blaster and every turn, from 1/8 up to 1/2 depending on how it felt, we would spray a little more on there and let it sit. By the time we would do all eight, we would sit back and watch the game for another 20 minutes, then go around them again. It took all afternoon, but we didn't break a single one and he had right over 72k on the clock and had owned the car since new. But we would turn the plug until we felt a sharp rise in torque and stop immediately. Spray a shot down in there and move on to the next one. There were two plugs that wouldn't turn more than 1/8" each time, which is why it took us so long to get them out.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I guess its just my point of view on working on things like that. if they are comming out, most likely they are being replaced and are therefore garbage anyways. though I will be dillagent in plug removal but if one of those things are gonna break I would rather just use the tool on it than make the job longer and increase my headaches further.

remeber, its the shield breaking off and not an issue with the threads. so its not like your gonna have to do any seriouse head work as a result.

like I said just my way of looking at the job.

schuhanks5.0

あなたのライサー!
Reaction score
i have never had a issue in a mustang. BUT the 5.4's in the f150s have given me more problems then i would like to have gotten. i have the spark plug removal tool and it was indeed a great investment. makes ya cringe alil when the porcelin starts to crack and break while using the tool lol

fordrocks

forum member
Reaction score
I need to do mine. I have 33k on the clock, now for the ones who performed this task, did y'all do it on a cold engine or warm, I was told by a mech to go beat up on the car for a bit and then attempt to change them. Kind of weird huh?

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
So some PB Blaster soak, and slow and steady? I think I'm gonna change them this weekend. Are you guys using Motorcraft replacement plugs, standard Autolites, NGK, Champion or what? Which do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

OU81

slow typical mustang...
Reaction score
Are there any good plugs from local auto parts or are all the good plugs an order only thing...

Boozshey

Reaction score
I broke all 8 also...

allplugs.jpg

success8.jpg

Synister500

Reaction score
That blows. I broke 5 with 50k miles. Rear ones took close to an hour each and a lot of language.

BJ

Drewskie

forum member
Reaction score
How much does the Ford Quicklane charge to change them? If they break do they charge you extra hourly?

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
Wow man sorry to hear that.

Do you think you gave it too much umph when trying to take them out?
Also when they bind you need to stop and soak those babies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back