BRR-SCCA Autox - First time on hoosiers

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I don't know if that is the first time you said it or just the first time I read it, but the wheel and tire allowance in STX makes the most sense to me.

In reality, why not just open STX up, unlimited wheel width and 295 tires? I don't think the other cars can swallow more than a 275 anyways and then they can't bitch that the S197 guys got their own rules. Change STU to 295 as well, 265 and 285 are silly numbers anyways.

What makes 295 less silly of a tire width? There are even less 295's than there are 285's or 265's. Also, RX8 would benefit from wider wheels/tires. How much so I'm not sure but I remember they can fit some pretty stupid wide wheels under the stock fenders.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
What makes 295 less silly of a tire width? There are even less 295's than there are 285's or 265's. Also, RX8 would benefit from wider wheels/tires. How much so I'm not sure but I remember they can fit some pretty stupid wide wheels under the stock fenders.

That- and you'd still have the issue of similar tires on drastically differently weighted cars. There would be a ton more rubber per pound on an RX8, and we'd be right back where we are now.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Weight was discussed at length as being the trigger but the logistics involved were touted as being unreasonably burdensome during Impound to weigh two of the largest classes nationally. I have a solution to that which I have yet to submit to the SEB/STAC that would limit weighing only to cars claiming to be above the threshold to bear the burden of proof rather than the whole class.
Why not fix the maximum tire and wheel widths to the years, makes, and models in similar fashion to what G-Prepared's table accomplishes for several parameters?

Not writing it in terms of one specific chassis might find wider support (by sidestepping the "I-class" rebuttals), and it would open up the possibility of creating more than two sets of tire & wheel size limits. Write the AWD "penalty" at 20mm nominal relative to a 2WD car of similar weight.

The assumption that all cars can lose about the same amount of weight can't help but be better than assuming that the same fixed tire and wheel widths apply equally over the weight range of cars fitting into ST-whatever. So why not use mfr-listed weights and just write it all into Appendix A?

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back