Coolant / Antifreeze brand to use

Max70

Reaction score
Hi,

Before I get jumped upon, I tried to look in this forum, but I had no success in finding what I am going to ask, so kindly reply to my questions or redirect me to a post that can answer my question.

I have a 2006 V6 4.0 (hence this section) and I'm about to change the engine coolant, since it is green and starting to turn brownish, flushing it with distilled water and at the same time changing the thermostat housing to the aluminum one, but I need to know the brands and products that are good for my engine.

The first and most important thing to say is that I live in Europe not in the USA, so products that are easily found in USA are not found in Europe, this is why I'[m asking which products I can use safely. First I checked which type / color of coolant goes best in my engine and most of the results were YELLOW, but for example when I went to the brand FUCHS, the match for my car was BLUE, so that got me confused. Others told me that the best to go with is the RED coolant from Toyota, again another non matching answer. I went looking for Valvoline and showed me ZEREX ORANGE formula.

At this point I got more confused than where I started from.

I kindly need some technical replies, not answers shot at random based on suppositions, as I do not want to make any damages to the engine.

I appreciate your replies.

Thanks

Max70

Reaction score
Can't you simply get the Motorcraft coolant?
I would have to ship it from USA to my country and will cost me alot between shipping, tax and duty costs, just to give you an example, when I got the rear bumper that costs 400 USD, I ended up paying 800.00 USD between shipping costs , tax and duty. (total 1,200.00 USD)

This is why I am trying to find a substitute locally.

I know that VALVOLINE and FUCHS are available.

I tried VALVOLINE 874734 AntifreezeG13 yellow, but its not available at the moment
I am trying to see if VALVOLINE Zerex G05 is available
When I went to FUCHS and checked with their database, they told me the BLUE is suggested, which I cannot relate to yellow or orange coolants as normally used in this engine.

So I am still asking around to see which brands (and colors) will be good for my engine.

Max70

Reaction score
Can't you simply get the Motorcraft coolant?
In the mean time I checked how much it would cost me to get 3 gallons of Motorcraft GOLD, total including shipping (cheapest shipping cost available ) 125.00 USD and that is without tax and duty.

Miker

Reaction score
I just had to put a radiator in my wife's 2020 Durango. Trying to find an antifreeze was so confusing I just went with the Mopar coolant. I can certainly feel your pain having limited options.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I know your 4.0L engine block is cast iron but the cylinder heads, radiator, and soon to be thermostat housing are aluminium.
Therefore Prestone green coolant or indeed any green coolant for aluminium engines will do. I also live in Europe and I use this green coolant concentrate mixed with distilled water which I religiously change every three years.

1722409313114.png

Last edited:

Max70

Reaction score
If you need the Motorcraft Gold, BASF glysantin has a compatible variant available. The RAVENOL TTC CONCENTRATE PROTECT C11 works also.
Don't know where you live, but take a look https://ato24.de/de/auto/kuehlmittel.html

I live in Malta (Island) so everything here is limited, you cannot find all ranges, the agents import some staff which know they will sell in bulks but do not bother about the rest of the ranges.

GriffX

Reaction score
Maybe you can get Glysantin G05, it is used in trucks in Europe.

The price jump has become sky high for BASF products, not long ago it was 70€ /20l, now it's 120€

Max70

Reaction score
I only managed to find Glycol G48 based coolant, I was told that it is also good for the Ford Mustang 06. Other than that I donno what to do :( the valvoline one and another one from FUCHS but both the same bluish green coolant.

Capture.JPG

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back