Driveshaft Help

TFish2607

Reaction score
I recently purchased a one piece aluminum driveshaft from a guy locally. I bought for cheap and it was listed for a 2005-2009 Mustang GT.

Based on the extremely low price he wanted, I purchased it however, when I did, I noticed it did not have the correct yoke to mate up to the rear end of the car.

Upon some research, I believe I found the correct yoke. I wanted to get opinions to ensure this is what I will need to correct the issue prior to installing it in the car or having to go another route. I’ve attached pictures of the driveshaft in its current state and a link below with what I believe is the correct part I need.

Any help appreciated!

IMG_3251.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

TFish2607

Reaction score
Gotcha. He informed me it was a Spydershaft which was, from my understanding, sold by Steeda. I could be wrong in this so if I am, forgive me.

Really just making sure I order the 6 bolt yoke from Summit, it is all I need. I think I’ll have a local driveshaft shop install it and replace the other u joints
As well before I install it just for piece of mind.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Maybe a Dana Spicer.

If it’s Steeda call them, they might be able to identify it for you.

TFish2607

Reaction score
Upon some additional investigation, I was able to find "Spicer" stamped under the yokes on the ends. So now comes the part of figuring out why it has a 4 bolt yoke instead of the 6 bolt. As I continued some research, I found the link below.

It appears this yoke is for a 8.8 rear end from a Mustang. It begs the question, will it bolt up / work or do I need to get the 6 bolt flange?

Edit: It appears the above link is for a 1996-2004 Mustang yoke. This driveshaft did come out of a 2005 model car. Still needing to figure out some of this out.

TFish2607

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the numbers stamped in areas of the driveshaft.

Also, checked the overall length and it’s the correct length. I’m starting to wonder if I should buy the correct yoke and run with it. Assuming someone changed it out for some unknown reason.

IMG_9535.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg

IMG_9532.jpeg

IMG_9531.jpeg

IMG_9530.jpeg

IMG_9529.jpeg

Miker

Reaction score
I wrote that same thing yesterday. "will it fit with the current yoke and 4 bolts?" I then erased it before posting as the round flange does insert some into the diff connection if memory serves me right. That doesn't mean it wouldn't bolt up but I am sure that interference fit with the round yoke was deemed somewhat important.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 4 bolt yoke and the adaptor plate. Two bolts go through the plate and attaches to the pinion yoke. Tehn two bolts go into the plate. Tehn there are 4 bolts that go from the adaptor to the pinion yoke. So the four bolts connect the driveshaft to the plate and 6 bolts go from the adaptor to the pinion with 2 of those connecting both. Does that make sense?

bambam 06

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 4 bolt yoke and the adaptor plate. Two bolts go through the plate and attaches to the pinion yoke. Tehn two bolts go into the plate. Tehn there are 4 bolts that go from the adaptor to the pinion yoke. So the four bolts connect the driveshaft to the plate and 6 bolts go from the adaptor to the pinion with 2 of those connecting both. Does that make sense?

Huh. I wonder if I can find the adapter from the 4 bolt to the 6 bolt? Anyone have an idea if I can still get one somewhere?

TFish2607

Reaction score
Thanks! Now to see if I can track one down somewhere. I'm guessing if I can't find one, I may need to just buy the Sonnax Yoke with the 6 bolt pattern?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back