Good machine shop South side of Atlanta?

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for a good machine shop on the south side of Atlanta? I have a good one on the North side where I used to live (Goza Auto parts and machine shop in Acworth, GA) but I was wondering if anyone knows of one in the Fayetteville, GA area that is good with modulars. I picked up a set of low mileage 3V heads from here and I want them gone through, valves lapped if needed, new seals, retainers, and have them install my new springs and seats for my engine build.

Also...tell me about pricing? I was quoted $550 total to go through the pair, that's $450 for disassembly/re-assembly and $50 each to mill them flat. I would supply my own springs and seats, which I already own.

I don't mind driving, and may use Goza again since I am familiar with them, but they're 60 miles away from me.

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
You have some big dog racers in your area. Scott Milner Coupe Performance did some p&p heads for me that were fantastic. He did all the head work for some semi famous/ famous mustang drag racer in your area. The folks at MPS mustang salvage will know the racers name, it escapes my right now. The m sure they can point you in the right direction

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't find another one. 60 miles for a known good engine builder isn't that bad

BullittSS

Reaction score
You have some big dog racers in your area. Scott Milner Coupe Performance did some p&p heads for me that were fantastic. He did all the head work for some semi famous/ famous mustang drag racer in your area. The folks at MPS mustang salvage will know the racers name, it escapes my right now. The m sure they can point you in the right direction

Brad Brand, maybe -- 10.5 Outlaw drag racer -- if so, he owns Atlanta Chassis Dyno:

https://www.facebook.com/Atlanta-Chassis-Dyno-Inc-161283227226045/

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I found Dover Cylinder Head real close to me...They've been in business since 1941!

I spoke to them and for $350 they will go through both heads, hot tank them grind / lap the valves, mill them flat and re-assemble them with all the new parts that I provide, inspecting and replacing any guides that may need it. That includes installing my new Comp springs and seats.

I thought about dropping $5,000 and sending them to JPC/RGR for some all-out crazy heads, and based on everything I can read, since I am not after an all-out max-effort build, the gains from the heads on my already blown car represent a poor return on the investment. So...I am going to put this engine together with my Comp 127350 blower cams and these refreshed stock heads, put the car on E85 with the ID1000 injectors and KB dual BAP I already have and call it good.

I'll refresh my build thread once things start moving along. I started this project years ago but finishing my basement, work and life has gotten in the way.

I'll let you all know how Dover plays out.

Shane

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I found Dover Cylinder Head real close to me...They've been in business since 1941!

I spoke to them and for $350 they will go through both heads, hot tank them grind / lap the valves, mill them flat and re-assemble them with all the new parts that I provide, inspecting and replacing any guides that may need it. That includes installing my new Comp springs and seats.

I thought about dropping $5,000 and sending them to JPC/RGR for some all-out crazy heads, and based on everything I can read, since I am not after an all-out max-effort build, the gains from the heads on my already blown car represent a poor return on the investment. So...I am going to put this engine together with my Comp 127350 blower cams and these refreshed stock heads, put the car on E85 with the ID1000 injectors and KB dual BAP I already have and call it good.

I'll refresh my build thread once things start moving along. I started this project years ago but finishing my basement, work and life has gotten in the way.

I'll let you all know how Dover plays out.

Shane
good decision make sure they check the "collapsed lash adjuster gap" if they lap valves and grind seats, it can cause a world of problems if wrong. Ask me how I know lol. Its a tedious check and has to be done with a "solid" lifter, you can make one with your existing hydraulic lifters your machinist will know how. First page a little over halfway down on right gives specs

Attachments

• 4.6L 3V Specs.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 4

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
good decision make sure they check the "collapsed lash adjuster gap" if they lap valves and grind seats, it can cause a world of problems if wrong. Ask me how I know lol. Its a tedious check and has to be done with a "solid" lifter, you can make one with your existing hydraulic lifters your machinist will know how. First page a little over halfway down on right gives specs

Good gouge; I have some old lash adjusters I can destroy. I am assuming you simply compress a lifter so it is fully compressed and determine the height..perhaps weld it into the collapsed position or remove the springs and add washers inside of it to replicate the collapsed height, then install it...then measure the gap...and make sure it is within tolerance? Sound correct? If that gap is too big, I'm guessing stuff gets tossed about (like a follower) and carnage is made?

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Idk the guy that did mine took something apart on the hydraulic lifter that collapsed it and iirc I bought a replacement. You have to take measurement off back side of cam on each valve and the adjustment is made by grinding the top of the valve stem. You won’t be out of spec the other way after lapping valves and grinding seats. I actually don’t have first hand experience with the problems it causes, the machinist alerted me to it because he had big problems with a previous engine where he did not perform this check after a valve job.

Last edited:

BullittSS

Reaction score
Back