help! I need to replace the bolt that connects my linkage to the transmission!

Mike Haigler

Reaction score
I have a 2009 mustang gt 4.6 liter with manual 5 speed tranny. this morning on the way to work the bolt that holds the linkage to the transmission backed out and is gone,I have a part number from ford to replace it but nobody has the part in town,the part they say it is, w710540s439 and its a 12mmx55mm bolt. I need to get a bolt from a hardware store so I can get the car home until I can get the proper bolt,has anyone had this issue before? and what bolt did you use? what is the thread pitch? please email any helpful info please, [email protected]
thanks mike

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
You might have to hit your local junkyard, I broke that bolt doing a shifter install back in the day, and had to buy a whole new shifter assembly from the dealer to get the bolt.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
You might have to hit your local junkyard, I broke that bolt doing a shifter install back in the day, and had to buy a whole new shifter assembly from the dealer to get the bolt.
The link I sent says they have it in stock.

GlassTop09

Reaction score

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine loosened up on my stock shiter as well. Car had maybe 15,000 miles on it when it happened with my car. I caught it before it fell out so I got out the red loctite but wish I'd used the blue as it made it a bitch when I went to change the stock shifter for a Barton.
I seem to remember quite a few 2009 GT's that had this problem back in the day.

Mike Haigler

Reaction score
well! I found it wasnt that bolt! it was a smaller bolt/pin that had broke. I will try to explain this the best I can so maybe it will help someone else down the road.
the linkage that connects to the gear shifter handle where it attaches to the transmision there is a knob that comes out of the transmission and it has a hole through it from top to bottom,and there is a metal sleeve/bracket that slides over the cylinder shaped knob and it has a threaded hole in the top of it that has a bolt that threads into it and a smooth shaft shoulder that goes through the cylinder knob and thes connects the gear shifter linkage to the tranny,well the smooth shaft/pin broke off the end of the bolt and allowed the linkage to hang freely under my car.I ended up using a bolt and a nut the connect everything back together to get the car home and I went to the hardware store and got a grade 12.9 bolt and had it machined to replace the original bolt that was only a 10.9 bolt so I should be good to go now!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back