How do my spark plugs look?

steinbergjonny

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2008 gt/CS with 130k miles (with the later head). No idea how many miles on the spark plugs - how do you think these look? Plenty of miles left on em Or swap em?

PXL_20240810_214830821.MP.jpg

PXL_20240810_221257455.MP.jpg

Last edited:

bambam 06

Reaction score
If you went to the trouble of removing them, i would replace them. Specially since you don't know the mileage.

Miker

Reaction score
If it's running good why toss 100 bucks? Clean them up, gap them and reinstall them.
Signed,
Cheap old school guy....
1723336546680.png

steinbergjonny

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too - I hate just throwing money at cars.

Speaking of... I got curious as what carbon buildup in the engine looked like and put an endoscope down into one of the cylinders and I don't think I liked what I found.... Anyone have any ideas what that the silver bits could be? Is my engine a time bomb?
What would you do to further diagnose?

2024-08-10  16h 38m 38s___1_s.jpg2024-08-10  16h 36m 47s___1_s.jpg2024-08-10  16h 42m 59s___1_s.jpg2024-08-10  16h 36m 47s___1_s.jpg

2024-08-10  16h 36m 52s___1_s.jpg

Miker

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too - I hate just throwing money at cars.

Speaking of... I got curious as what carbon buildup in the engine looked like and put an endoscope down into one of the cylinders and I don't think I liked what I found.... Anyone have any ideas what that the silver bits could be? Is my engine a time bomb?
What would you do to further diagnose?

View attachment 98896View attachment 98897View attachment 98898View attachment 98899

View attachment 98900
Looks like one of those fancy headliners! LOL
Actually kind of hard to see what that is showing. I know sometimes close up pics show stuff that you wouldn't normally see. That one part that looks peeled up is interesting.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Is that the cylinder wall? If so it looks like dirt fell in when the spark plugs were pulled and stuck to the cylinder wall.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Replace em on spec and be done with it. Gap em correctly. I used new Brisk plus on my 2010 GT, and gapped to .035" since I also have the small Roush M90 blower....(5 psi boost).
The misfires dropped to ZERO with the new plugs installed.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
If they all look like that you should be good to go. Clean them up with a brush and some cleaner and check the gaps but they don't look bad at all. I'm glad you pulled them to check on them. That's the best way of avoiding issues when it does con=me time to replace them be sure you put a bit of anti-seize on the barrels (not the threads) and you should be good to go. Also, next time, try some compressed air into the spark plug barrels before removing them. This will prevent so much debris in the cylinders.

brasil

Reaction score
..while reading here.. I am thinking that I should check my plugs too.... 16 years now. But only 20 k miles driven. This week I will pull them.

steinbergjonny

Reaction score
If they all look like that you should be good to go. Clean them up with a brush and some cleaner and check the gaps but they don't look bad at all. I'm glad you pulled them to check on them. That's the best way of avoiding issues when it does con=me time to replace them be sure you put a bit of anti-seize on the barrels (not the threads) and you should be good to go. Also, next time, try some compressed air into the spark plug barrels before removing them. This will prevent so much debris in the cylinders.
Thanks - yea I took my shop vac and blew everything off with the back end of it, but I think I'm learning the car was stored outside for some time. There was a bunch of debris that had gone in past the coil boots

if you clean the plugs..use a copper-brush ! Not a steel-brush. The steel brush can harm the porcelain
Good deal - k used brass, hopefully that's soft enough.... If not, too late now haha

DieHarder

Reaction score
..while reading here.. I am thinking that I should check my plugs too.... 16 years now. But only 20 k miles driven. This week I will pull them.
Plugs Not removed in 16 years? Really? You'll want to have the Lisle tool on hand and read about removing plugs in these cars beforehand. What year is your ride? Then I'd go for the one-piece Brisk plugs. Expensive, but worth it.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Plugs Not removed in 16 years? Really? You'll want to have the Lisle tool on hand and read about removing plugs in these cars beforehand. What year is your ride? Then I'd go for the one-piece Brisk plugs. Expensive, but worth it.
Does anybody actually still make a 2 piece plug ?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't know how many times I have said this on forums. "What happened to pulling and cleaning plugs as routine maintenance?" Pull your plugs once a year at least once a year to clean and inspect them. If you do this you will never have a problem with stuck pugs. When I was racing the car I would check plugs before and after every session. When not racing I pull them at least once a year.

bambam 06

Reaction score
I use E3-70 or Champion 7989, they cost me between $40.00/$50.00. I change them about every 14 mths. Well worth the money and saving if you break one, plus peace of mind, don't forget the anti-seize!

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have used Brisks before with great results.

Recently used auto light HT0 plugs. No issues.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back