How Much RWHP is your Built SB Making?

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how much power are your built short blocks are making? Is anyone making crazy numbers 750+RWHP? I dont think this is that uncommon in the 03-04 Terminator world. Why are our engines struggling to keep up?

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how much power are your built short blocks are making? Is anyone making crazy numbers 750+RWHP? I dont think this is that uncommon in the 03-04 Terminator world. Why are our engines struggling to keep up?

I don't think it's our engines that aren't holding up, it's the rest of the driveline. We have to upgrade the trans, rear end, etc... in order to handle those numbers.

I still haven't heard of anyone with a built motor breaking the block.

Isn't 169stang at around 800+ rwhp?

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah he said he was making 780RWHP that's the highest I've heard off. But he's the only one that I know of that is up that high. Most of what I'm hearing is around the 550-600. I'm surprised were not seeing higher numbers. I'm curious if we will see more post.

I think he has a custom 76mm turbo setup.
I don't think it's our engines that aren't holding up, it's the rest of the driveline. We have to upgrade the trans, rear end, etc... in order to handle those numbers.

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm surprised were not seeing higher numbers.
I'm not surprised at all. Making those kinds of power levels generally comes at a price. And I for one, am not willing to sacrifice the daily driver status of my car for a silly dyno sheet.

Also, I'm more interested in ETs anyway. And I've always wanted to get the target ETs with as little power as possible. It's just easier on parts that way. I'm already running too quick for the roll bar rule with only 450-ish. If I had 700 or more hp, then I'd probably be looking at 9's and that requires a shitload of stuff just to even make the car NHRA-legal. And I don't think the car would be a reliable, fun and streetable daily driver at that point.

I'll save the high horsepower and 9-sec timeslips until after I "retire" my car from the street. Once it's a track-only warrior, then all bets are off.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Burcham has his over 1000 rwhp now.

hoboattacker

Reaction score
Power isn't everything to get ET's. You have to put it to the ground somehow. There is a guy on a board I frequent that has a 1000hp 1100ft-lbs 1995 Turbo Mustang GT and runs 10's. It is so ridiculously powerful that he doesn't get traction. He built it as a roll-race car, but still, with that much he should be in the 8's or 9's.

don_w

Reaction score
Power isn't everything to get ET's. You have to put it to the ground somehow.
I agree 100%!! That's the reason I built mine the way I did. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get in the 10s someday and still have well under 500hp at the wheels.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I believe David's car has an iron block though.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
I believe David's car has an iron block though.
Blocks are a minor issue, I know there is the age old debate on which aluminum block is the best but you won't find anyone that has lost a motor due to block failure. Any modular Ford block will be fine for 99.9999% of people.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Blocks are a minor issue, I know there is the age old debate on which aluminum block is the best but you won't find anyone that has lost a motor due to block failure. Any modular Ford block will be fine for 99.9999% of people.

My thoughts exactly....It's the high dollars that come along with maintaining and operating a 700+ rwhp set up that keeps most lay-people in that 550-650 rwhp zone.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above! I really don't think the built engines on these cars or the platform is the bottleneck. All the big HP guys I know of in the Cobra world have replaced their trannies with glides or C-4's and fitted their cars with return sytle fuel systems. The power adders are where the big HP is. 76mm turbos and bigger or big azz prochargers with or without a shot of giggle gas are what is running in the nine's. Peter Del Pino laid down a 9.78 at 146 mph this past weekend in Atlanta but I doubt he's still on the stock tranny although I'd think the car is still "streetable".

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above! I really don't think the built engines on these cars or the platform is the bottleneck. All the big HP guys I know of in the Cobra world have replaced their trannies with glides or C-4's and fitted their cars with return sytle fuel systems. The power adders are where the big HP is. 76mm turbos and bigger or big azz prochargers with or without a shot of giggle gas are what is running in the nine's. Peter Del Pino laid down a 9.78 at 146 mph this past weekend in Atlanta but I doubt he's still on the stock tranny although I'd think the car is still "streetable".
Del Pino has been through more than a few 5R55S transmissions, he has a 4R70W in it now.

don_w

Reaction score
although I'd think the car is still "streetable".

"Streetable" is different than a "daily driver" IMHO. Many race cars are streetable, but only for a few minutes or miles. I put ~1500 miles/month on my car. Not many 9-sec rides can do that. And if they do, then they are most likely big blocks on nitrous, where they can drive around town without the juice.

travelers

Reaction score
"Streetable" is different than a "daily driver" IMHO. Many race cars are streetable, but only for a few minutes or miles. I put ~1500 miles/month on my car. Not many 9-sec rides can do that. And if they do, then they are most likely big blocks on nitrous, where they can drive around town without the juice.
Or on the back of a trailer.:rock:

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"Streetable" is different than a "daily driver" IMHO.

Very true Don! As well (IMHO) once you put a cage in a car it can no longer be classified as a true street car. It's all a compromise once you cross that 11.49/7.35 line as many of us have done.

V

VSOP

Sorry but 'i know DD that have cages certified to run 8.5 and the car runs mid 9's and now with the new tranny should be low 9's

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
So going back to the original post it's not the fact that power cant be made with these motors they can make the power but that extra power comes at a substantial price with all the other supporting mods. I was begging to think that these motors were some how handicapped when compared to other mod motors. The 3V heads are supposed to flow just as good as the 4v or close, the alu blocks aren't shabby either.

I know that the input shafts in the tranny are weak, the DS, needs to be replaced, stock clutch is only rated at 380ftq, differential and axles should also get swapped. Supporting suspension mods like LCA, UCA, Axle brace etc.. What's left? I mean if all these things have been replaced, why not crank up the boost a little? I guess one huge problem is traction if you cant get traction on the street with 500hp then what's the point of going for 700hp on the street.

don_w

Reaction score
Very true Don! As well (IMHO) once you put a cage in a car it can no longer be classified as a true street car. It's all a compromise once you cross that 11.49/7.35 line as many of us have done.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one. A roll bar (not a cage) with removable swingouts will feel and look virtually identical to what my car is like right now without the roll bar. It will still be my daily commuter, with A/C and a CD player, and will 100% drivable. I'll still put 1500 miles a month on it running 91 octane pump gas. To me, that's still a street car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back