Idle rpms on cammed cars. What do you prefer

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
Any vids of your car niner? How do you like the 127500s with the turbo, I am installing the same cams in my car.

Sorry, no video. The cams work just fine with the turbo, no issues at all. You will like them, I think they are the best overall cams for stock heads, N/A or turbo. Nice powerband and a great "cammed" idle!

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
127200's @ 750, tuned by WMS and idles/runs like a champ.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
You people that are commanding lower than stock idle settings "because it sounds mean" are considering oil pressure needs of the engine?

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
You people that are commanding lower than stock idle settings "because it sounds mean" are considering oil pressure needs of the engine?

I have not, I may need to think about this...

Sent from my helicopter

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
the man has spoken, I shall keep stock idle then :p

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

cell phone video not so hot but it's all i got

been running that way for a long time. i've had the cam covers off several times switching them out and all the lobes look pretty bueno

Last edited:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
The cams and idle RPMs that I have had in the white car.

Hot Rod's-850
127350-800
127550-950
Custom Crane 2000

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I was at 650 when I first did mine, but had really bad acceleration hesitation when I first started the car. It went away after it ran for a bit, but it bugged me. Switched it to 800 RPM's before it was high enough to help. Sounded pretty good to me.

Open Headers...

Full Exhaust....

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
B326 stroker thumpity thumpin with Hot Rods at 690.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
127400 cams. Mine is commanding 800 rpm. It idles at 800 rpm too.

Now I have Hot Rods. Playing around between 840 and 850. Still fine tuning the driveability. Trying to find the perfect balance between low speed shuffle and hanging rpms. I'm down to making 2% adjustments at a time which means it's pretty close.

I was stuck in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes and didn't have any stalling or driving issues except for the low speed (about 7mph and under) shuffle when idling. It's easily accounted for with clutch modulation but it sticks in the back of my mind as something that needs to be taken care of.

I think the sound is fine at 850 rpm, I've thought about bumping it up a little more so the car doesn't shake so much.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back