Long Tubes

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
So, do long tubes actually do anything on HP gains for the car? Theoritically, they should add 15-30 RWHP. At least thats how much they can add on the LS1s. :clap:But I've heard from some local shops that they only add 2RWhp max on the s197. Then again this came from the same shop that didn't know my car was an A5, not an A4. :hammer:

BUstang

<font color="pink"><b>Pigg</b></font>
Reaction score
probably see 10-12rwhp. I think that's reasonable.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the shop might have been confused with shorties. Shorty headers give minimal gains if any. LT's with a midpipe can see anywhere from 10-30 RWHP, depending on the power adder, etc. This is what I've read again and again!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a dyno sheet comparing a car before and after a longtube install? Do they add a significant amount of low-end torque and power? Peak numbers aren't as important as where it makes it, at least to me.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
shorties will gain next to nothing, but a goodset of LT's can gain an average of 10-20hp or so N/A with more gains with a power adder like a S/C

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So what are the best L/T's out there? What are the differences between them? Are coated better?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the best LT's IMO, because everyone will have a different opinion here, are the American Racing Headers. They are 304 stainless, as opposed to the JBA's, hookerswhich are 409 Stainless. there is less ferrous (sp) metal in the ARH headers which causes them not to rust liek the others. IMO, the ceramic coating is garbage and tends to flake and chip over time. the only coating you might want to consider is the JET Hot Coating to minimize heat from the headers.

don will disagree with you there as his high flow cat from dynatech blew apart, strangled half his motor and caused a complete engine failure. and apparently hes not the only one. someone else took apart their high flow cats from dynatech and found the cat broke and a piece jammed in the pipe

Last edited:

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the others I have heard and read about are the Dynatechs...(This did not show my full post??) I also said the following...what happened
I stated
there are 3 best headers IN MY OPINION. american racing, which are a true full length LT...Kooks which are tech mid length (I have kooks by the way) and the others I heard about were dynatech which I know nothing about..except that I heard some who said they were bad and have blocked up somehow....
this is weird..I wonder what happened to the rest of my post that stated this...I did not jsut say the other one were dynatech..thats weird

Last edited:

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a dyno sheet comparing a car before and after a longtube install? Do they add a significant amount of low-end torque and power? Peak numbers aren't as important as where it makes it, at least to me.

with a CAI and tune I was getting about 270 RWHP and 274lbs torque. when I added my headers with teh catted x pipe and a new tune I went to 300.8 rwhp and 304 lbs of torque on my 05 auto gt...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with a CAI and tune I was getting about 270 RWHP and 274lbs torque. when I added my headers with teh catted x pipe and a new tune I went to 300.8 rwhp and 304 lbs of torque on my 05 auto gt...

I think I had similar results but my before and after was at the track. My et dropped 2 full tenths at Irwindale 1/8th mile with no other changes. I have no doubt this would equate to at least 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile. This was with a 1 3/4 primary pipe header with N20 as a power adder.

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes I will!!

DON'T BUY DYNATECH!! :kill:

what happened ...I never even quoted in my post that Don will disagree...how did that happen...plus the rest of my post disappeared...I personally dont know or like dynatechs....I just know about the 2 top IMO...Kooks and American Racing

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the best LT's IMO, because everyone will have a different opinion here, are the American Racing Headers. They are 304 stainless, as opposed to the JBA's, hookerswhich are 409 Stainless. there is less ferrous (sp) metal in the ARH headers which causes them not to rust liek the others. IMO, the ceramic coating is garbage and tends to flake and chip over time. the only coating you might want to consider is the JET Hot Coating to minimize heat from the headers.

don will disagree with you there as his high flow cat from dynatech blew apart, strangled half his motor and caused a complete engine failure. and apparently hes not the only one. someone else took apart their high flow cats from dynatech and found the cat broke and a piece jammed in the pipe

Ron,

Now that I've sold the turbo and have a KB, I'm definitely regretting selling my L/T's...:hammer:

Anyway, I better get em' back on with the KB so got a link for a good deal on the ARH?

Mark

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I think the shop might have been confused with shorties. Shorty headers give minimal gains if any. LT's with a midpipe can see anywhere from 10-30 RWHP, depending on the power adder, etc. This is what I've read again and again!

+1 Yeah you will see a reasonable gain in hp and dont forget sound!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what happened ...I never even quoted in my post that Don will disagree...how did that happen...plus the rest of my post disappeared...I personally dont know or like dynatechs....I just know about the 2 top IMO...Kooks and American Racing

my fault man i hit edit instead of quoting you

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron,

Now that I've sold the turbo and have a KB, I'm definitely regretting selling my L/T's...:hammer:

Anyway, I better get em' back on with the KB so got a link for a good deal on the ARH?

Mark

i called nick at AMerican Racing Headers direct and Got a great price. Also try jared at lethal or Josh at PMP

BUstang

<font color="pink"><b>Pigg</b></font>
Reaction score
I love my JBA stainless, they sound/look great. I've driven them for 4000 miles in humid/wetass texas and they still look brand new. If u dont have the money for american racing, go jba.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back