Might be go big or go home time on my '06

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe progress is going faster than we both thought. The owner of the performance shop sent me an email, he was visiting the machine shop and my engine's being assembled now (short block machined and fully assembled, rest of assembly continues this week). Machine shop said it could be ready for pickup on Saturday, and if that holds, then they could be installing the engine on the Tuesday the 14th.

Seemed like it was a lot of draaaaaaaagging on and on like this was going to take till the fall, and both me and the performance shop were in limbo. Now all of a sudden the machine shop is almost done. the lack of transparency on the part of the machine shop kinda pisses me off. Got a lot of questions out to the performance shop about where we are w/ the valve covers, harmonic balancer, and various other little things that need to be done before the engine goes back in.

image0 (1).jpeg

IMG_3551.jpg

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Well aint it fun....

Was stopping by the shop this afternoon and noticed a small tear in the car cover. Out of OCD, I went ahead and checked under the cover, maybe...it's fine....ok ok .... just in case....

GODDAAAAAMNIT.

PXL_20240506_171415139.MP.jpgPXL_20240506_171438095.MP.jpg

I went in and told them about it, they came out looked at with me and said they'd take care of it. They've got a security camera right in front too so they say they can probably figure out who dunnit too. No doubt whatever scumbag did it felt they hit it too.

At least the paint isn't scratched (cover probably saved it) and there aren't any creases in the metal. I'm hopeful paintless dent repair will be able to get this out. I've seen some pretty gnarly stuff online get pulled out.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Just dropped off the stock intake manifold this afternoon, talked to the owner.
> Positives:
>> engine is still on track to be done Friday, if so they'll pick it up Saturday
>> They'll start installing early next week, should take the mechanic (or wizard as far as I'm concerned) 3 days to put everything back together
>> could be ready for pickup as early as the end of next week.

> Negatives:
>> the shop's insurance is saying no-go on covering the damage since none of the shop staff hit the car and the spaces out front of the shop is "public space" and its out of the shop's control. If the insurance was going to cover it he said he'd have no problem paying for it
>> he said they've been doing everything they can to control who parks in the vicinity of the front of ther shop and have chased people away before, but they can't control every minute 24x7
>> he did point out on every printout they did have a disclaimer saying they're not responsible for what happens to the car while it's parked in public spaces (yeah ...sadly that's true it's been on every sheet)

> Silver linings
>> He agrees that should be pretty easy for paintless dent repair and is going to hear back from a trusted place he's used on his personal vehicles
>> Especially in light of me being a 16 year customer, and the fact that this is a big job and we're going to be doing the supercharger next year, depending on what the cost of the paintless dent repair is, he'll see what he can do about making it right. I'm not expecting miracles but if they can at least meet me halfway, it's something.

Unrelated to the dent, they got the blue powdercoated valve covers in and yes they are b-e-a-utiful. Wish I'd gotten them years ago. Now how to keep them clean?
We're also going to put in the GT500 fuel pump now to lay some of the groundwork for the supercharger. Plus when I had the car tuned in 2015, the mechanic said my stock fuel pump was at 90% duty cycle which was going to be a problem if I tracked the car. (said when the engine starts getting really hot, the ECU will start dumping in more fuel for a cooling effect)
ATI harmonic balancer is getting ordered.
On the fence about the upgraded fuel injectors now, or wait for the supercharger. Wondering if big injectors will cause idling problems on a mildly cammed motor (like trying to mist with a garden hose)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back