Motor mount removal, can get engine mount to move

Silversteed

Reaction score
I'm replacing my motor mounts and have all the bolts out, engine as high as it will go, andthe 4 bolts on the engine mount.

I'm trying to move the mount but it won't budge.

Any help in getting it to move so I can get mout out?

Thanks!

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've changed my motor mounts a couple of times but I only remember two bolts that go to the K-member.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Are you sure you’ve got all the bolts out? These mounts come off pretty easy. The two nuts holding the brackets down on the mounts on the k member, then the bolts holding the brackets to the block.

Could you post some pictures of what you’ve got going on?

Silversteed

Reaction score
I have 3 bolts and a nut out. Everything I read says that's all there is.

I quit for the night. Tomorrow I'll check if there is anything else. Hard to see anything because I don't have the car up very high and it's lowered.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Four bolts holding the motor mount to the block and one nut holding the motor mount to the rubber isolator that is bolted to the K member. The rubber isolator is bolted to the K member with two bolts.

AHaze

Reaction score
It's been said already, but for clarity:
There are four bolts holding each bracket to the block. Some of those bolts have threads above the head as well, onto which a nut is threaded to hold something else on to the engine. You need to remove the nut, then pull off whatever that "something" is and then go back in to get the bolt.
Once you remove all 8 bolts, the brackets basically fall off.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the stock rubber mushrooms in? Yeah, they can get kinda glued to the block from corrosion and other crud.

Long post but trying to address both parts.

First, don't raise the engine too much. Like, 1 inch max (I usually go just about 1/4in). You really don't need anything more than a thin gap, and you don't want to put stress on your bell housing.

Second, leave the motor bolts in and focus on just getting the isolators out first. Make sure you have all the bolts completely out. There's 2 actual bolts on the bottom of the isolator (isolator to frame) each side, and a nut on top that connects to the motor mount each side. Take them all the way out.

Lower the engine back down onto the isolators (assuming you still have the mounts attached to the engine!) then jack it back up and as you do watch and see that only the engine moves and not the whole car. If the whole car lifts, something's not right.

Is the car already up off its wheels? If not, when you raise the engine, you're effectively taking weight off the suspension and the car will lift up with several hundred pounds of force and you could pretty much lift the engine till your bell housing gives you the finger and phks off to hell.

In rare cases I have seen motor isolator tops so corroded they're essentially glued to the motor mount, but that's rarely both sides. If you think that's the case (I don't know the condition of the car) get a 2x4 and a mallet, sledge hammer or a friend's head and try to strike down on the isolator itself (not the motor mount). It really shouldn't take much to break free rust, though.

If you're sure the suspension/chassis is staying put while the engine is moving, you can lift the engine up an inch and then start going around with a pry-bar on the sides, working mainly against the k-member/frame and the isolator.

If all else fails, make sure the engine is secure and the car is secure on jack stands and then loosen the K-member bolts. There's enough thread to drop it by at least a 1/4 inch, maybe even a half, and that may help. Remember the goal is to just get a gap of any kind between the motor mount to isolator bit. Once you have that (or the isolators out even, then you can focus on the actual motor mounts themselves.

As for the mounts, there's (if my brain cells recall correctly) 3 bolts and a stud with a nut on each side. You want to make sure the bolts and nut are completely out. The stud needs to come out, too, as it's got a captive nut on it. If you're sure you got everything out, it just takes some mild foreplay violence at that point. A dead-blow hammer aimed front to back or back to front on the end of the arm, couple taps, then a couple taps up from the bottom on the end, and it should pop off. There's nothing really holding them in place (no gusset or notches) just ignorance and whatever cats are made out of.

Hope some of that helps.

And for the love of tacos take those stock isolators and give them to someone you really hate or abandon them on the side of a lonely road somewhere, and buy yourself some aftermarket replacements. I recommend either the Steeda mounts or the Prothane bullet mounts.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Oh, wanted to add that if you're planning to lift the motor more than just this one instance, I'd recommend getting an engine lift. There's the tool from Ford and a couple others that sit on the engine bay frame but what I use is the engine lift beam from Maximum Motorsports that bolts onto the strut towers (so it doesn't move, unlike other types) and you use regular ratchet straps to lift and hold the engine. Also doesn't take up as much room as other lifts.
For like $75 it's an easy custom tool justification.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back