Mutha thumpers botch install?

whitmanink

Reaction score
Hey guys.. installed my thumpers and did the timing while i had the engine out.. when i did timing i did just as Ford mikiluko described.. i followed it step by step as i did my timing... the marks were all on point before and after i pulled the tensioner tabs ... got my lito tune .. started it and got codes once i hooked up my scanner.. i asked lito if he thinks timing somehow jumped,, altho not sure how.. he said it might be alternator problems since i did get that code as well with the first scan.. i saw a post on here with someone with almost the same codes.... i did put diffrent cam sensors on both sides and still get the code.. anyone with any insight because im trying to figure this out and lito is trying hard as hell as well .. this was after a revised tune i still got codes.....thanks guys

Screenshot_20240531-092516_BlueDriver.jpg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If a bad alternator diode was allowing a small AC current to trickle into the main harness and interfere with the cam sensor signals, you can easily find out by performing an AC ripple test using a digital multimeter. I hope that IS the issue 'cause it would suck to have to remove the timing cover all over again to recheck the cam timing.
Does the engine run rough or make any ticking noises?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Do you have the old cam sensors you removed? If so, try those.

On the Alternator, most modern computer-controlled cars are extremely sensitive to voltage irregularities... Dino is correct (as usually) ;)

whitmanink

Reaction score
Yea as much as i dont want to admit it .. somehow a tooth must be off.. but y no timing error cel?

FredB66

Reaction score
I had my timing jump a tooth and didn't get any codes. I think pulling the valve covers is the only way to know for sure.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Is there a timing mark on the front cover and harmonic balancer so you can use a timing light?

FredB66

Reaction score
This is mechanical timing, not ignition timing so no timing light. The R and L should line up when the crank is in the right position keeping in mind that it happens every other rev of the crank. The colored chain links won't necessarily line up. The links eventually will line up if you keep rotating the motor but it's many revs between each occurance of the R, the L, and the colored links all coming together.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
To be sure, the best way to verify cam timing is to remove the front cover and valve covers and see the marks are in the correct place. You can collapse the tensioners and reset the timing chains. If you remove the tensioners, purchase Fel-Pro gaskets for the tensioners.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back