Noise From Steeda Rear Chassis X-Brace

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
I was in the trunk trying to track down a creaking noise that is coming from the right rear. Thought it was from a loose upper shock nut because it was indeed loose. After tightening it, I discovered it is actually from the Steeda Rear Chassis X-Brace, specifically the bar that goes to the right rear shock. Attached are two photos showing each upper shock nuts. The left rear isn't nearly as compressed as the right rear yet the noise is coming from the right side. Could the noise be from a bad weld in the brace itself? Should I try greasing the bushings?

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 8

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PM Steeda, they are good about supporting their stuff.

Stripped nut or shaft?

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
I did indeed email Steeda, just waiting to hear back from them.

The flat sides are fine, the rounded edges look a bit rough yes.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Please email me your contact info & write-up too - I can send it to our install dept.

Best Regards,

TJ

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I spoke to our installer & this is what he recommended:

Yes, he can grease the bushing, but there is nothing about the X brace that will cause a creaking sound. I would have him reinstall the entire brace so that it's square in the car.  One bushing shouldn't be more compressed than the other

Let me know if that helps with the troubleshooting efforts.

Best Regards,

TJ

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the quick reply TJ. I loosened the right rear shock nut by about a turn and a half and the noise went away. Haven't been able to take it on a proper test drive, will do so later today. Since the right rear bushing was over compressed, do you recommend that it be replaced? If so, is that something you sell or do I need to go through my local dealership?

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Jon,

We don't sell the bushings ... please call your local Ford Dealer or Energy Suspension for an upgraded version.

Let me know if I can assist further!

Best Regards,

TJ

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back