Odd loud bang from roof? Rear? What?

Earthworm

Reaction score
Good day all,

Curious of anyone has a clue to the random loud bang that sounds like a person elbow dropping the sheet metal on my roof. Happened once turning into parking lot at 20. And again later 30 on a straight away. No hard accel, happens randomly.

2007 gt auto

Any clues?
thank you!

JC SSP

Reaction score
Not much in the roof area? Check your spare tire in the trunk. They are known to come loose and make noises.

Earthworm

Reaction score
Not much in the roof area? Check your spare tire in the trunk. They are known to come loose and make noises.
The noise just sounds like if someone jumped on a car roof type noise/bang. It is loud and jarring. But sounds toward the rear. Spare is tight and I made sure nothing in trunk could move. I am perplexed.

Earthworm

Reaction score
I think it maybe back firing? Think my buick made same noise before. But no lights or anything. Did plugs 4 months ago and since drove 6k on it. Gettin better mileage atleast

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I went through this with my 2012 Mustang for a considerable period of time. Had everything looked at under the car, trunk and convertible storage well. Tire was tight as well. Finally, ask the tire shop to raise the mat, removed the tire and take out the jack. Fortunately, the guy doing it spotted the issues immediately. The bolt that comes up through the middle of the tire, holding it, jack, etc had punched a hole through the fiber board between the tire and the carpet. Prior to my owning the car someone had failed to put the black cap on the end of the bolt, thus allowing it to push through the cover and bounce all over.

You can see the black cap lying to the side. To totally deaden this, I added the yellow rags. In because the bolt had drilled a whole through the hard board, I added a plastic cap off a spray can of paint so it would be larger than the hole.

Trunk noise.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back