P0012 + Dieseling + Short Terms

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Okay. I think I had the same problem. At idle it would trigger the VCTS and run like crap. I would turn the car off then back on and it was fine. I had to install lockouts. No problems since.

I noticed you said your tuner locked out the VCTs but do you have lockouts installed?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Okay. I think I had the same problem. At idle it would trigger the VCTS and run like crap. I would turn the car off then back on and it was fine. I had to install lockouts. No problems since.

I noticed you said your tuner locked out the VCTs but do you have lockouts installed?

I remember reading your posting about that a month or so ago and it's been stuck in my head. I don't have lockouts installed, and am waiting on tune change from my guy that zero's out the VCT's.

I'm a little leary about going to lockouts due to gas mileage. What's your experience?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
My computer says I am averaging about 15.7 mpg. Mostly in town short trips.

Not bad considering my set up.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, my steps ended up at #23, and today I progressed farther. Unfortunately, still not fixed.

As a recap,

---------------------------------------------------
Now, this doesn't start happening until the car reaches at least 150*. I did some troubleshooting without solving the problem, and went into full scale and detailed troubleshooting mode:

1. Reloaded tune - no change
2. Went back to stock tune, then reloaded tune - no change
3. Loaded my e85 tune - no change
4. Emptied all fuel out of car, and refilled with 93 octane - no change
5. Swapped drivers side (DS) phaser to passenger side (PS) - no change
6. Swapped DS VCT solenoid to (PS) - no change
7. Installed completely different phaser to passenger side - no change
8. Changed to another stock cam I've got - no change (journals looked good)
9. Moved DS injectors to PS - no change
10. Replaced spark plugs with new ones - no change
11. Moved COPs from DS to PS - no change
12. Replaced 02 sensor - no change (02 sensors at idle are changing and are within .005 or each other)
13. Replaced knock sensor - no change
14. Troubleshot wiring circuits for PS cam sensor, PS VCT solenoid, DS cam sensor, DS VCT solenoid - no faults found. All circuits have continuity and no shorts to ground or other wires in bundle.
15. Troubleshot crankshaft position sensor circuit - no faults found
16. Replaced crankshaft position sensor - no change
17. Installed completely different VCT solenoid - no change
18. Replaced complete PS head - no change
19. Changed oil pump - no change (did this one last night)
20. While changing oil pump, I also changed the tensioners and cam chains - no change.
21. Disconnected PS and DS VCT solenoids - no change
22. Disconnected PS solenoid - **change**, but not fix. Instead of going into diesel mode between 1300-1500 rpm, it moved to 2000-2300 rpm.
23. If I rev the car while dieseling and everything connected, the roughness goes away around 3200 rpm and car sounds great. Once I let off the gas and the rpms decrease to 1800-1900, the dieseling comes back.
-----------------------------------------------------------

24. Replaced Right Side Head with a remanufactured from Rockauto.com. Before installing it, I disassembled it, verified all valves were correct & had no binding, as well as checking the clearances on the cam journals and the cam that came with it. No problems and guess what.... No Change
25. Replaced entire engine wiring harness - no change
26. Took car back to stock on the tune, and then loaded in the "testing" tune I had that was used before my actual dyno - no change
27. Swapped 02 sensors - no change
28. Removed my KB Boost-a-Spark from the inputs - no change

I'm ready to blow this thing up. As before, it works great before reaching the 170* degree range. I can rev it up, let it roll back down without a single hitch. I can see the 02's change over well before the problems begin. The change over from open to closed loop isn't a problem.

But once it hits temperature, the passenger side still goes crazy with the short terms dropping to the 700-800's, while the drivers side stays nice and steady. This happens when I hit around the mid-1000's in RPM.

With 28 different troubleshooting steps, I'm ready to try the wild and exotic. Got any?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back