Pinion nut size?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Anyone know the pinion nut size that I have to remove to put in this new driveshaft? I don't want to climb under there without the right tools.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Anyone know the pinion nut size that I have to remove to put in this new driveshaft? I don't want to climb under there without the right tools.
its 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" i always grab both when i do them and never remember which one it is.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
I don't remember the size off hand, but it should be replaced any time it is removed.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used a 27mm socket.

Most everything on this car is metric from what I have seen, but maybe this big nut is a holdout? (used to be a frustrating grab bag of both)

At any rate..
27mm is 1.063in (1.0629921249)
1 1/16 would be 1.0625

So 1 1/16 should work given the slight play on the 27mm...

Last edited:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, 27mm...got everything tore apart except for that. I forgot my brother-in-law took my impact gun and compressor yesterday.:tdown:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking glad you confirmed it, it is indeed a standard nut as it has remained the same for over 40 years (it's the same nut that a 9" uses).

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, 27mm...got everything tore apart except for that. I forgot my brother-in-law took my impact gun and compressor yesterday.:tdown:
Oh c'mon - man up and get out the torque enhancer (heavy gauge metal pipe)...

Having just done this rear on the lift (in fact I just tore it down again yesterday after I bent some parts at the track), I cannot recall how the !@#$ I did that on the garage floor many times in the past? I know I took the rear out a couple of times. Maybe I am just getting old?

p.s. DeWalt 18V battery powered impact gun is "the bomb"... I sleep with it under my pillow now and my compressor spends most of its time releasing the air latches on the lift...

Last edited:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
LOL, don't worry. Going out there right now to try to get that muther off. Worse that can happen is round the nut.:beerdrink:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, don't worry. Going out there right now to try to get that muther off. Worse that can happen is round the nut.:beerdrink:
I have found that the wrench popping off and your clenched fist flying up and punching the sharpest metal component on the bottom of the car is actually worse than the rounding...

On the bright side, other than tetanus, most of the stuff on the bottom of a car is relatively antiseptic...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Well, got it in the ole fashion way...busting myself in the nuts. That was the first time i've ever come close to throwing up from a nut shot. 1/2" rachet between the legs...had one leg on the lca pushing and one hand on the rachet..slipped off and hammered myself right in the nuts!
:puke:
Anyways, got the damn thing in now.:clap: No chance to test drive because the wifes mother dropped the kids off. Have to do it tonight when the wife got home. Lost about 3 oz of rearend fluid...hopefully not too low. I have to drive my car to work in the morning. I'll upload the pics of it quick. BTW, there is no cross brace on the 07 to remove.:rock:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Wow... you really did get hammered. Yuck.

Damn it don..lol. Normally I'm the one busting people when they say stuff like that..can't believe I set myself up for that on.:beat:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, got it in the ole fashion way...busting myself in the nuts. That was the first time i've ever come close to throwing up from a nut shot. 1/2" rachet between the legs...had one leg on the lca pushing and one hand on the rachet..slipped off and hammered myself right in the nuts!
:puke:
Anyways, got the damn thing in now.:clap: No chance to test drive because the wifes mother dropped the kids off. Have to do it tonight when the wife got home. Lost about 3 oz of rearend fluid...hopefully not too low. I have to drive my car to work in the morning. I'll upload the pics of it quick. BTW, there is no cross brace on the 07 to remove.:rock:

I wonder why my asshole just puckered up into a figure 8 when I read that and my voice went up 3 octaves!!!

OUCH!!

Mike

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pinion nut

Why do we need to replace the nut every time(the pinion nut)Where do you buy new nuts & how much should i pay for a new nut?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back