Returning tune

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll try to do a short summary sometime in the future of the whole rebuild... but for now, here are a few pics of the bare teksid block, the internals (JE pistons, Scat Rods, Cobra crank), the shortblock and the final product:

DSC06822.JPG

DSC06824.JPG

DSC07589.JPG

DSC07596.JPG

DSC07598.JPG

normal_6-12-06_shortblock.jpg

6-12-06_engine%20sideview.jpg

DSC07624.JPG

DSC07651.JPG

DSC07680.JPG

I learned a lot reading about your build on the other site. Having a summery of it on this site would be a deffenate asset to the members of this site.:rock:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Don,
What was done to your block besides hot tanking to bring its like new appearance back?
I was thinking maybe a media blast if all machined surfaces were protected but I'm not sure.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Hey Don,
What was done to your block besides hot tanking to bring its like new appearance back?
I was thinking maybe a media blast if all machined surfaces were protected but I'm not sure.
Adam painted the outside of the block.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So if I were to plan an engine build, and I could find a Lincoln Mk VIII for cheap, that would be the source for a Tekside block? Do the cylinder iners allow for boringo out? What do y'all estimate would be the maximum displacement I could acheive by boring the block and using a stroker kit when building the engine? The reason I ask is I'd rather have more cubes and remain NA.....

Thanks for your time and patience.:hammer:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So if I were to plan an engine build, and I could find a Lincoln Mk VIII for cheap, that would be the source for a Tekside block? Do the cylinder iners allow for boringo out? What do y'all estimate would be the maximum displacement I could acheive by boring the block and using a stroker kit when building the engine? The reason I ask is I'd rather have more cubes and remain NA.....

You just ask away! It's fun to learn and think through these things. There's a few here that are stroked and We'll have to let them step up with their set-ups and answers for you.

Our engines have sensitive electronics to monitor the cylinder dynamics (knock sensors to sense detonation) and when this engine is stroked the piston/rod geometry "can" induce "noise" mistaken for pre-ignition et cetera and the PCM will pull timing unwarranted. THere are things done to overcome this. Piston design and PCM setting and some have even gone to shutting off the knock sensors in their tune.

I don't know enough to get into this much farther. But to get you thinking I wanted to jump in.

Someone will post up the truth for ya!

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You can go upto 0.030 over but I'm keeping it to 0.020 over.

There is not much displacement to be had only 4 cubic inches.
You can increase the stroke to 3.750 which combined with the 4 extra cubes will give you a 302.

You can go wet sleeve which stroked will give you 324 but you're talking around $2,500 for a wet sleeve kit installed.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ahh, the old bore and stroke debate... :sick:

I'll try to stay out of the theology and just state my observations of industry "best practice"...

Going beyond ~300 cid generally requires bore and stroke and thus re-sleeving the engine (see www.vtengines.com)... They get out to 324...

The ~300 cid engines are generally all stroke - for example MMR shows 3.552 bore and 3.750 stroke (vs stock 3.552x3.543). The Livernois and JDM setup are similar from what I recall, but their numbers were harder to find when I typed this...

VT shows a 302 stroker with "stock" bore as well...

Boring out beyond the typical rebuild/resurface weakens the walls which is why VT re-sleeves for the 324...

Stroking is not risk free - you are likely to get some piston slap unless you are extraordinarily careful and many will tell you that a stroked engine will not last as long as a result - that said, you would not be the first/only to do it...

Depends on what you goal is as to whether you _need_ to do it... With head work, cams, exhaust and a bump in compression, I don't see any issue taking the 4.6 to 400HP or beyond... N/A of course requires a little more finesse and planning than F/I to get to that range...

p.s. looks like thump beat me too it and as always used far fewer words ;-)

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Don,
were those pics of just the block taken in your kitchen. Thats usually where I open all my toys........lol

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GIG4FUN, Thump and Cekim; thanks for the education. :thumb: and :clap:

My long term goal is for ~400 hp NA, and I say long term because I'll probably wait till I have 60,000 mi on the engine (expiration of the pwrtrn warranty) to do the actual swap-outs...but I was thinking of starting by getting me a Teksid block, then slowly buy the pistons, conrods, heads, cams, headers, X-pipe, high-flow cats, etc, etc, etc and have the thing built and ready to swap out at that time.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but I was thinking of starting by getting me a Teksid block, then slowly buy the pistons, conrods, heads, cams, headers, X-pipe, high-flow cats, etc,
Don't be in a rush to buy parts if you are not ready to use them... There is still quite a premium built in for 05+ newness...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back