Squealing Pulley ?

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to eliminate everything else first. The surprise thing is these pulleys have only about 1500 miles on them.

Mine were less than a year old as well. But mine are stock pulleys. No fancy dual bearings or anything like that.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow Slofoot, that is some avatar you have there, hung like a ahh, well hung like me!!!

Josh@PMP

Reaction score
I noticed after I put the Super Tensioner on my car that I have a pulley squealing. IDK if it is the big pulley on the tensioner, or if I might have the tensioner cranked down to tight....

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Be careful about spraying WD-40 on your idler bearings! They are perminently packed with grease for lifetime use and WD-40 will dissolve the grease and cause them to have a shorter life.
And as far as the squeek goes, listen to the back half of the Alternator. The tolerences in there are super close and may be barely touching when cold. If you find the noise is coming from there, you can remove the plastic cover over the back of the shaft, use a 3/8" drive short extension as a punch, and give it a tap with a hard plastic hammer. I had to do this after clocking my alternator because of a similar squeek.

T

Tommy33

Tom,
I know how to fix it! spray some W/D 40 on the belt. After you do that I'll meet you at the track and kick your butt. Match up - saleen vs. KB with oily belt.
Anyway, had the same problem with my car. I gave it to jim that way and never mentioned it. I got the car back and the sound is gone. You might want to speak to him about the problem. Obviously they fixed mine.
Glad to hear you made it over.
Rick (was once the hogman)

Well I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is I feel like and idiot for thinking it was a pulley:hammer: . I asked JimIII, as stroker, formally hogman, suggested and he said try the belt first.

Now here's the good news, it was the belt:clap: . I had a couple of my buddies listen to it and they all thought it was a pulley.

If anyone is looking for a belt for a KB 8 rib set up, I purchased a belt through Napa. It is the Napa, Micro-V AT 25-081223 Yellow Stripe, which is manufactured by Gates. It was $48. I checked the cross reference on the Gates Site and everything looked good.

Thanks Don for the confirmation of the Napa belt.:beer:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back