Stock 2007 Automatic 4.0L V6, and I want to install a twin turbo kit, any good manual transmission, and more. Would appreciate thoughts and help!

Elemayoh

Reaction score
Hey yall, I hope this thread finds you well. As the title states, I want to do a lot of modifications to make this car really stand out. I really have no intentions of selling my car, as I've done lots to fix it up nice, and it wouldn't command a good price even if I wanted to sell it.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I was thinking of ways to make this thing go quicker, be more fun (hence the intentions of a transmission swap), and look cooler (side pipes integrated into the side lip trim if possible). I don't want the Cervini side pipes, I don't like the look of those. What I'm looking to do seems to be pretty obscure. I want rounded rectangle exhaust side pipes, and I don't want my car's height off the ground to change as a result, so in order to do it, obviously there'd need to be heat shields and the side lip trims would have to be cut a bit near the rear wheels, but I think it'd look great in the end. I don't know if this is possible however, and if the frame of the car would get in the way of that or something.

I'd also like to have better suspension for more control, and a better ride. Some way to make the touch points of the interior less plastic-ey (also am in need of a new steering wheel, and being able to control the radio with it would be nice). Maybe even some insulation installments although this is a low priority. I don't intend to replace the radio unit, but the center console and everything around it could be made more modern (not sure if this is possible within a reasonable price).

Price isn't a huge concern. I just want to be able to make this car mine eventually. I want to know however, how much everything would cost, and I want the powertrain and exhaust to be modified the most at the moment.

I'd like to do as much myself as possible, but I am not the most mechanically inclined. I wired up a backup camera and bluetooth radio myself, but that's about it.

Not sure if I should stick with the V6 or not? I like the sound of V6's more than V8's.

Last edited:

drwells42

Reaction score
Hey yall, I hope this thread finds you well. As the title states, I want to do a lot of modifications to make this car really stand out. I really have no intentions of selling my car, as I've done lots to fix it up nice, and it wouldn't command a good price even if I wanted to sell it.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I was thinking of ways to make this thing go quicker, be more fun (hence the intentions of a transmission swap), and look cooler (side pipes integrated into the side lip trim if possible). I don't want the Cervini side pipes, I don't like the look of those. What I'm looking to do seems to be pretty obscure. I want rounded rectangle exhaust side pipes, and I don't want my car's height off the ground to change as a result, so in order to do it, obviously there'd need to be heat shields and the side lip trims would have to be cut a bit near the rear wheels, but I think it'd look great in the end. I don't know if this is possible however, and if the frame of the car would get in the way of that or something.

I'd also like to have better suspension for more control, and a better ride. Some way to make the touch points of the interior less plastic-ey (also am in need of a new steering wheel, and being able to control the radio with it would be nice). Maybe even some insulation installments although this is a low priority. I don't intend to replace the radio unit, but the center console and everything around it could be made more modern (not sure if this is possible within a reasonable price).

Price isn't a huge concern. I just want to be able to make this car mine eventually. I want to know however, how much everything would cost, and I want the powertrain and exhaust to be modified the most at the moment.

I'd like to do as much myself as possible, but I am not the most mechanically inclined. I wired up a backup camera and bluetooth radio myself, but that's about it.

Not sure if I should stick with the V6 or not? I like the sound of V6's more than V8's.

If you're looking to make significantly more power, your options for the Cologne V-6 are rather limited. I would think that it would be more practical to go the V-8 route.

That said, I have a 4.0 SOHC (the final version of the Cologne V-6) myself, so I've considered what the options might be.

Probably the easiest and most cost-effective thing to do would be upgrade the exhaust system. A set of headers and a full dual exhaust system would probably help. Side pipes are often impractical in the real world, (you have to be careful about getting your legs burned!) so I probably would not go that route.

FWIW, if you like the sound of your current setup, you might have to be careful about changing the exhaust. I have long suspected that the V-6 sound on the S197 Mustang was created (intentionally) by the exhaust system for marketing reasons. Historically, Cologne V-6s were nearly silent under normal running conditions, and only made a charming snarl when you stomped on the gas pedal. Changes to the exhaust system could substantially change the exhaust note.

If you could imagine a world with infinite money and infinite access to rare parts, you could attempt to make your own Cosworth FBD or FBF. Neither of these made it past the prototype stage, but if you have lots of money and time to look for them, the production DOHC heads from the Cosworth FBA (2.9 liters) could be adapted to a 4.0 block. Yes, you'll need a good engine builder.

The turbocharger route presents some comparable problems. I'm assuming that your engine has a lot of miles on it. Just throwing a turbo on it without a rebuild could lead to a short lived engine. Again, you'll need a good engine builder.

DRW

Dadasaurus_Rex

Reaction score
I applaud anyone for being ambitious with what they have but I have to ask about the internals on these Cologne V6s? I have zero experience with the 4 and 6 cars. If you truly want a twin turbo kit like your title suggests, I highly doubt the stock engine is built to handle that boost. You said price isn't a concern which is a broad statement. If it's not a concern we can give you ideas for a $100k build so I would be more specific there about what you're willing to spend. Also, is this your only source of transportation? Big builds like this come with downtime, especially since you stated you weren't that mechanically inclined for something like this. That means time at a speed shop and they don't generally just bring your car in and start immediately because they usually have cars ahead of yours. I would lay out a solid plan of exactly what you want first and how much at each stage you want to spend. Then, we can assist with finding the items that you might need step by step. I would definitely think transmission first for a build like this. Just get that done sooner rather than later because you will definitely smoke the tranny and clutch you already have.

It's cool to see something outside of the V8 norm so go for it if you have the means. You might make a magazine article someday with your build.

JimC

Reaction score
The 4.0 is a strong engine and will take a lot of abuse. I ran a 75 shot of nitrous on mine for 2 years. Then pulled the nitrous off and put the Xcharger Xtreme on it with 90,000 on the odometer, running 15 lbs of boost. When I sold it I had 203,000 miles on it, still running strong. The guy I sold it to then sold it with 245,000 on it, still running strong.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back