Stock Clutch Question

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Now dont get me wrong, I plan on upgrading the clutch asap, but how long would the clutch last once I added a turbo, say 450rwhp or so. I have enough to boost, but not wanting to add clutch and stuff for extra atm.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Every setup is different, some last for awhile, some go the first time out.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Alot would depend on how you drive it. You could make it last quite awhile. Others have. My experience wasn't as good. At 408 with a twin screw it started slipping in 3rd at wot. I know people who have ran over 500 with a centri and the stock clutch held for awhile.

As long as you don't put drag radials on your car the tires will probably spin before the clutch slips.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Every setup is different, some last for awhile, some go the first time out.

I dont plan on tracking the car until I have the clutch/fly beefed up, so hopefully it lasts.

Alot would depend on how you drive it. You could make it last quite awhile. Others have. My experience wasn't as good. At 408 with a twin screw it started slipping in 3rd at wot. I know people who have ran over 500 with a centri and the stock clutch held for awhile.

As long as you don't put drag radials on your car the tires will probably spin before the clutch slips.

It will be on street tires until they are beefed, so I hope so!

Good question, but you'll never do a turbo :p

We shall see Dave!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Mine would last forever. Yours? a day or three.
chirp.gif

LOL!

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Word. Man, if I can get this turbo, I really hope the motor doesnt go boom, and the clutch holds

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Good luck. I need more power soon. The cams aren't cutting it anymore. I'm hoping once my 4.10 goes in, that will tide me over for a minute. The cams were actually fun for almost a year haha.

08redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Torque is what will cause the clutch to slip (horsepower being a product of torque anyways) that's why centris can hold the stock clutch for so long. Im at 410wheel but only 350 torque, clutch is just fine for now

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
My stock clutch was slipping noticeably in 4th at WOT. The car actually drive fine around town and in low gear would accelerate hard without any indication (seat of the pants). It wasn't until I installed my Exedy that I knew how bad the sticker was slipping. I am at 482 WHP and 460 WTQ.

A country worth living in is a country worth fighting for.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Over 12K miles and 75 passes on the stock clutch with the M90 blower. Most of those passes were on MT ET Street radials and the last 15 or so passes were on Hoosier QTP bias plies. Stock clutch is still in excellent shape with a total of 28K miles. I plan on upgrading at some point but I'm in no rush.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back