Stock K Brace on Auto S197's?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I was changing the oil on the girlfriends '07 Auto GT and immediately noticed she didn't have a K member brace. Did auto's come with them as well or only stick cars?

The K member has the position and holes for the studs to run through. I've never worked on a S197 Auto before, so I'm not sure. Judging from the road grime build up, I'd say that if it had a brace, it hasn't been there for a while, if it is supposed to have one.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 didn't come with it either. Bought one on eBay for $2

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Trash? Why? Aren't these better than the top strut bars?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score

No luck, didn't see anything about the K-member brace. Or is that your point?

My 07 didn't come with it either. Bought one on eBay for $2

I may go this route. I considered a CHE for her, but in an auto I can't justify having the drive train vibration transfer.

My 07 manual vert had one, went right in the trash lol

Considering you have more piping than a submarine under your hood, I'm not surprised lol.

Trash? Why? Aren't these better than the top strut bars?

Because he has more piping than a submarine under his hood, and the brace eats up space where WHOOSH pipe can go! Strut tower braces perform a different function than a K-member brace. Most of its function is clearance woes, the remaining function is improved chassis stiffening in corners.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, that and I have an aftermarket K member. I didn't see any need for it anyway.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
My 07 manual vert had one, went right in the trash lol

Lol.. so did my 07 vert.. and so did mine (trash)

EDIT.. Come to think of it I think I actually may have that in storage with the stock K. If I do you pay shipping you can have it if in fact I did not throw it away. I will check this weekend if I can brave that place (and provided I do not end up in parts avalanche)

Last edited:

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
I have bmr and a arms drove without the brace for a while then I installed a steed G track and it did make difference tighter steering drives a lot better ties to a arms

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have bmr and a arms drove without the brace for a while then I installed a steed G track and it did make difference tighter steering drives a lot better ties to a arms

The stock one doesn't actually do much and doesn't tie to the a-arms is the problem. That makes sense for you, you likely lost some rigidity with the aftermarket arms, the lighter tube style ones are not as robust from my experience. A little front sway bar preload would have the same affect.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back