Stupid Newbie Tune Question

m18e

Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 GT and I'm looking at re-doing the timing chains, tensioners, and phasers. I figured it'd be a damn shame to go through all that work and leave the stock cams (and intake) in, but all the cams (and decent intakes) I see say that they require a tune.

What degree of tuning is needed? Is it just a matter of hooking up one of those SCT gameboys and calling it done? Or do I need to get it dyno tuned by someone who has experience with these cars? I've read ... mixed reviews about the companies that offer email tunes.

(I'd like to get a proper dyno tune, but I also don't want to need to get one done to get back on the road)

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Once upon a time I ran Detroit Rockers from Brenspeed. I purchased the cams and the tuner loaded with three custom Brenspeed tunes direct from Brenspeed. My car run very well on any of the tunes with no bad habits. It had a nice little bump ity bump idle and gained a few hp from midrange to top end. I also installed Kooks headers and a cold air intake at the same time so the tuns was designed for the package. I was never sorry I chose those cams and Brenspeed had them figured out. My experience with a known package and tune to match is very favorable. There will always be someone who had a different experience with the same tuner.

JonathanMCC

Reaction score
If you REALLY don't want to get it dyno tuned....

You can use Eric at http://efidynotuning.com . This guy is a master at tuning Ford mod motors, he will write you a custom tune for your car based on your needs and offers lifetime tweaks and changes for $500.

HOWEVER..... When you will be spending a few thousand dollars on parts and 10-20+ hours in labor... You really ought to consider getting a dyno tune for optimal performance, but that's just me.

Laga

Reaction score
Lito. Nobody else.
I did exactly what Midlife crises did with Brenspeed. Only my tune was shit. I could barely back the car out the garage. Then I found Lito. He fixed it just by changing the tune.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I'll third. Or fourth. Lito is the dude.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Once upon a time I ran Detroit Rockers from Brenspeed. I purchased the cams and the tuner loaded with three custom Brenspeed tunes direct from Brenspeed. My car run very well on any of the tunes with no bad habits. It had a nice little bump ity bump idle and gained a few hp from midrange to top end. I also installed Kooks headers and a cold air intake at the same time so the tuns was designed for the package. I was never sorry I chose those cams and Brenspeed had them figured out. My experience with a known package and tune to match is very favorable. There will always be someone who had a different experience with the same tuner.
I've been seriously eyeing those DR cams. Maybe after I finish my suspension rebuild (not done screaming at my wallet).
Unfortunately I can't do long tubes here.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles on the car? You should definitely think about replacing all the rollers while you're in there. I had a few seize up on me at ~ 115k, ate my cams, and I ended up doing a full rebuild.

m18e

Reaction score
150k miles or so. I've got the Ford camshaft drive kit already, I'm going to do it all at once, along with the lash adjusters and rocker arms.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back