Switched Power and Constant Power Fuse

Road_Trip

Reaction score
I apologize now if this is in the wrong section, or if it's been posted already; please feel free to move if it needed. While trying to install a dash cam today, I needed a switched power source and a constant power source. I scoured the Google and struggled to come up with a solid answer other than "grab a voltmeter and start checking." That's not overly helpful despite being a solid answer. Since I couldn't find the information I was looking for, I thought I'd post the answer to my own question.

On my 2010:

Fuse 33 (empty) 10A - Switched power. Only has power with key on (think of your power windows).
Fuse 38 (empty) 20A - Constant power. Has power with key off (think of your power door locks as a prime example of something that has power when the key is off.)

I know that's pretty plain English and definitely not meant to talk down to anyone in the audience, but it helps for me to put it in very simple terms since I'm not a very electrically inclined person. Hope this helps somebody in the future who is/was in the same boat as me today.

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
I apologize now if this is in the wrong section, or if it's been posted already; please feel free to move if it needed. While trying to install a dash cam today, I needed a switched power source and a constant power source. I scoured the Google and struggled to come up with a solid answer other than "grab a voltmeter and start checking." That's not overly helpful despite being a solid answer. Since I couldn't find the information I was looking for, I thought I'd post the answer to my own question.

On my 2010:

Fuse 33 (empty) 10A - Switched power. Only has power with key on (think of your power windows).
Fuse 38 (empty) 20A - Constant power. Has power with key off (think of your power door locks as a prime example of something that has power when the key is off.)

I know that's pretty plain English and definitely not meant to talk down to anyone in the audience, but it helps for me to put it in very simple terms since I'm not a very electrically inclined person. Hope this helps somebody in the future who is/was in the same boat as me today.
Good work. Yes, VOM's are your friend. And "Add-a-fuse" is likely the cleanest installation to add "accessories."

Back