Ticking Noise

SmokeOps

Reaction score
I started hearing a ticking noise from the engine a couple of months ago but it was faint and didn't sound like a valve or anything just thought it was an injector or something and it only started making noise when it warmed up. It started to get louder and louder until I thought it could be something bad and when I did an oil change I noticed material in the oil not a lot but a decent amount. It wasn't big chunks small enough to pass through the oil filter. I recently pulled both valve covers thinking it was a bad rocker arm eating a cam lobe or something. Unfortunately, it wasn't that and the cams and rocker arms were good. The ticking sound doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end but top so maybe it is an injector or something but that doesn't explain the material in the oil. I also inspected the timing chain which didn't look like it was rubbing the block or anything, the right bank did feel a little loose but not enough to skip or anything just enough play to wiggle the chain up and down so maybe that's just normal since I know timing chains have a side with more play than the other. I just send out the oil to a lab to see what the material is made of. I think it might be the rod bearings but I did an oil pressure test to see if maybe I have low oil pressure which would lead to excessive wear on the bearings but it seemed like I had ok pressure I think. (Cold Start - 75lbs) (Warm Idle - 22lbs) If someone else had a similar issue or could give me ideas on what it could be when I get the results from the oil sample I get in from the lab that would be much appreciated. The car currently has 114500k miles and is a 2006 Mustang GT

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I reckon you do have a slack timing chain that's worn through to the metal of a chain guide. That's probably where the glitter in your oil is coming from. The underlying cause is likely to be a blown tensioner gasket.
It's time to pull the front cover unfortunately.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back