to pulley or not to pulley?

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Different locations and exhaust will give different boost levels, with the 3.4 that is rated for 9.5lbs. i show 8.8 lbs. on the dyno.

With the 3.2 pulley rated at 11.5 lbs. I show 10.4 lbs. on the dyno.

I have long tubes and O/R H-pipe, near sea-level but high humidity.

Yours can very well be different.

Yeah i know people say that when you add long tubes it lowers your boost . I have mac 1 3/4 headers, so i wonder how much boost i would actually receive with the 3.4" pulley. IF the 3.4" pulley gives me 8.8 lbs, then i think my decision would lean towards it. Im in houston so we also have near sea-level and high humidity, not as much as in louisiana though.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Ah but rolling the dice is so enticing. After all, many a tuner will tell you that the products and packages they sell are "safe" on a stock motor. Given that and the fact that so many people seem to get away with it, as well as the fact there is no hard scientific data on how many don't, people are inclined to do it.

There is a guy on the other forum who has a vortech non IC and blew his motor. The car isn't even paid for yet and the blower was financed. He's also a college student.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would guess the 3.4 pulley with the brenspeed blower cams would put him in the 470-480 hp range.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
^^^^That should be a banner on the the top of the forum...:stooges:

I knew that before i got the blower though! I just need it to last me until the new motor later in the year. :thumb2:

Ah but rolling the dice is so enticing. After all, many a tuner will tell you that the products and packages they sell are "safe" on a stock motor. Given that and the fact that so many people seem to get away with it, as well as the fact there is no hard scientific data on how many don't, people are inclined to do it.

There is a guy on the other forum who has a vortech non IC and blew his motor. The car isn't even paid for yet and the blower was financed. He's also a college student.

There are people that blow it with 400 rwhp and people that run it with 500 rwhp, but there are just so many factors. The biggest factor probably being in the tune, thats why i am having such a hard time deciding who will tune my car in Houston.

I would guess the 3.4 pulley with the brenspeed blower cams would put him in the 470-480 hp range.

Yeah that would be way more than enough to run the car for now. Even with the 3.6 pulley i should be in the 440-460 range with the cams and 1 3/4 headers, which is way more than enough for the street and now. I just need to worry about hooking now!

Timbostang

Boost junkie!
Reaction score
Either way you go just remember that rpms plus torque kill the stock rods. I was running 12-13psi with the turbo and driving the crap out of it. But I never shifted above 6000rpm. You start twisting it above 6k and it starts putting alot of load on the rotating assembly. I know the sound of the cams is fun, but I would probably throw the 3.4 on with no cams so your power band stays lower. Then, put the cams in later when you build the motor. Just my $.02. Any way you go you will still be faster than me..........cause the turbo is OFF!!!!!!

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
I have hotrod cams with the twins pushing 12lbs on a conservative as all shit tune.. 492whp 506wht on a mustang dyno...
I also have a shortblock and heads so if and when she pops I am not running around with a chicken with it's head cut off!!

I say do the cams for sure... Pulley ehhh it's a coin toss... I beat the living shit out of my car because I built her to enjoy her and I plan on increasing the joy (mo boost) lol.. Do you want to relax and enjoy her for what she is or beat the piss out of her and go bigger?? Plan for the future and do things once right... <- sd beat that into my head with the amount of times and different ways he has of saying it..
It's all in the driver...

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Either way you go just remember that rpms plus torque kill the stock rods. I was running 12-13psi with the turbo and driving the crap out of it. But I never shifted above 6000rpm. You start twisting it above 6k and it starts putting alot of load on the rotating assembly. I know the sound of the cams is fun, but I would probably throw the 3.4 on with no cams so your power band stays lower. Then, put the cams in later when you build the motor. Just my $.02. Any way you go you will still be faster than me..........cause the turbo is OFF!!!!!!

Thats one thing i really didnt think about is that my powerband will be shifter up.I definitely will not be shifting above 6k rpms because it is too much stress on those crappy rods. I wonder how much the cams would really help me in 1/4 times compared to 3.4 pulley. Im sure the cams will net me 25-30 rwhp, but with the powerband shifted then i would be loosing some power in the low-mid range? I have 4.10's right now so that helps me get out the lower rpms very fast, but i even considered swapping to 3.373's because the car kicks out too much in low speeds.

Do you know any GOOD/Realiable person that could install NSR cams? It's not hard at all from instructions i read, but i dont know if i trust myself enough to dig inside the engine .

I have hotrod cams with the twins pushing 12lbs on a conservative as all shit tune.. 492whp 506wht on a mustang dyno...
I also have a shortblock and heads so if and when she pops I am not running around with a chicken with it's head cut off!!

I say do the cams for sure... Pulley ehhh it's a coin toss... I beat the living shit out of my car because I built her to enjoy her and I plan on increasing the joy (mo boost) lol.. Do you want to relax and enjoy her for what she is or beat the piss out of her and go bigger?? Plan for the future and do things once right... <- sd beat that into my head with the amount of times and different ways he has of saying it..
It's all in the driver...

Well both of you are running 12 lbs and i am debating between 8 and 9.5 haha. My plan is to run this setup for a couple of months and start building a separate motor on the side. :evillaugh: So i really want her to make it through until then. I will definitely be running the car hard at times, but thats expected when you first get boost! So many people push the limits and their cars hold up for a while. I just want mine to last until i have a new motor haha. I already have the cams so i am tempted to just put them on . I am now thinking about getting two separate tunes, one for 3.6 and one for 3.4 pulley. This way i can swap puleys and tunes if i am going to the track.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back