Trouble Shifting In and Out of Reverse with a Hurst Short Throw Shifter.

CopyCatCobra

Reaction score
Just picked up this Roush Supercharged 3V 2006 GT with a full Gt500 body kit on it. 480whp. The car has a hurst short throw shifter on it, it struggles to shift into reverse. It's super hard to get it into reverse and once you get it all the way seated into reverse, its extremely hard to get it out of reverse. It shifts through 1-5 flawlessly. I assume its a linkage adjustment issue or something, short shifters are new to me. My last S197 never had this issue. Anyone have any insight, or can point me in the right direction?

GT500REP.jpg

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hurst shifter is one of the first things I put in my car when I bought it, I had all kinds of shifter problems, and soon after replaced it with an MGW and had no problems after that at all

CopyCatCobra

Reaction score
How was it on the test drive?
I only had one opportunity to put it in the reverse on the test drive and it was a bit stiff but i was also on a steep decline. Otherwise the car runs great, the deal i got on it was so good i was not too worried about it. Just working out the kink now that its mine.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I only had one opportunity to put it in the reverse on the test drive and it was a bit stiff but i was also on a steep decline. Otherwise the car runs great, the deal i got on it was so good i was not too worried about it. Just working out the kink now that its mine.
So what clutch are you going to put in?

MrBhp

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that hurst shifter if it's in good working order and you know how to use it. I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with it. Missing shifts mostly. The shifter is a serviceable part. The bushings are poly. They have to be replaced occasionally. Mine started getting sloppy around 80k miles. By 95k I was missing shifts. New bushings fixed it. However, you need to find out for sure what the problem is before you start throwing parts at it. You need to make sure it's not a shift fork problem. Also, check the transmission lube. A low oil level will sometimes show up first in reverse.

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
I have a MGW in my '05 and have the same issue. If you have the owners manual, look in the chapter on how to shift the 5 SPD. On page 162. I couldn't believe it either, until I tried it. I often have to sit there and wiggle the shifter back and for in neutral and partially release the clutch in 1st to get it to engage.

IMG_20240803_092238.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back