Jmon992

Reaction score
I recently bought a SCT BDX pre-loaded performance tuner from someone. I’m new to these types of devices. I’ve read forums about different tunes from different places like Bama/AM, Brenspeed, and steeda. I’ve also read about some doing free tunes for life. I’m not sure which way to go or to go somewhere local and have it tuned. I’m just new to the whole tuning thing

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
BAMA/AM is the only one that offers free tunes for life after you've paid for the initial tune, but that's because they need a lifetime to get their tunes right. :lol: Stay away from them.
Steeda may still offer tunes for the 4.6 3V but since they only sold basic bolt ons like a CAI, pulleys, delete plates, and axle back exhausts, I doubt they'd have tunes for anything beyond those mods.
Another you could try is JDM Engineering. They're Ford guys and would certainly help you, but they're a bit far away in NJ.
Of all the US based tuners, arguably the top pick is Brenspeed. They've been tuning the 4.6 3V since it was launched and have tunes for almost every N/A and FI set up apart from possibly turbos. They have a shop in Texas so you could give them a visit.
However the most popular tuner is based in Caracas Venezuela and his name is Manuel Pazo. Everyone knows "the 3V Whisperer" as Lito. He's raced 3V Mustangs and can remote tune for every set up. Lito's email is [email protected] and his website is https://www.tudyno.com/ . He is THE MAN.

GriffX

Reaction score
Since BAMA offers a logfile feedback it is not true anymore, they changed everything I wanted within days.
They tell you what to record and how to drive for the log file.

Reaction score
I purchased a tune from Steeda along with the CAI back when they had tunes for life (I don't think they offer tunes for life anymore). The Steeda tunes worked fine.

I upgraded to DOB supercharger last year and worked with Lito to get the initial tune. The tune from Lito worked OK, but had a few problems that he didn't get sorted out. He sent several revisions that didn't really fix the problems I was having. I went to a local tuner that did a great job and fixed all the issues I was having.

I think a good local tuner is the best option, but it's expensive. I would come up with a plan and install all of your mods before getting it tuned so that you're not constantly paying for/troubleshooting problems with the tune.

Laga

Reaction score
Lito is the best by far. He also has the “tunes for life”, unless you go to E85.
He also fixed my tune that Brenspeed screwed up and told me “that’s how the tune works”. I couldn’t even back the car out of the garage for 10-15 minutes so it could warm up. Then it would die at a stop light. Once Lito tuned the car, the drivability was perfect, and it was a beast at WOT.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
When it comes to 'mailed' tunes, I'd say Brenspeed first, Steeda second (only because Steeda doesn't really do much tuning anymore). Brenspeed has a long and current history of working with Mustangs, including engine work and tuning.

If you really want a good tune, though, you need to find a reputable shop around you with an actual dyno. They'll put your car on their dyno and give you a tune specifically for your exact car and can actually see the results live and make adjustments real-time. They can make you specific types of tunes, too. For example, I have a custom tune for road racing and another for drag racing, neither of which I would want to use on the regular street, as they're dialed in very specifically for the type of racing.

Is it expensive? Not usually. I mean, you're probably going to spend between $100 and $300 depending on how much time you spend there and how much work you've had done, but a simple tune up and a couple bolt on mods is nothing for a good shop. They usually have a whole cache of pre-made setups for the popular things (like JLT intakes and the common cams and superchargers) and then just spend a few pulls buttoning things up. Also, if you have a tuner that's involved with your local Mustang club, they usually will go the extra mile. Develop a friendship with your tuning shop and they'll be less likely to throw an oxygen sensor at you when you ask for more adjustments.

MMR is another source for tuning, but they're primarily focused on engine building and they really don't do much for the S197 bracket anymore (...not that many do for some reason...).

MrBhp

Reaction score
I strongly disagree with the above info. A dyno tune is not the best tune, unless your car is going to live on the dyno. I have been down both roads. The dyno can get you close, usually. But you will still need to tune the car for real world use. If you have a local guy with a lot of experience on your specific vehicle, and he will continue to tune the car via datalogging after he has dyno tuned it, sure, go that route. It will cost more, but if you like to have a printout in your hand showing the absolutely predictable, and usually meaningless numbers, that might be the best route for you. But here's the thing. If you want your car to perform at it's best in the real world, datalogging while daily driving/racing is non negotiable. Triangle Speed in Bridge City, Texas tuned my latest project on their dyno. These guys have been the leaders in mod motor tuning. The car ran good. I later had Manuel (Lito) tweak the tune via email. I picked up 2/10ths and 3 mph in the quarter. While greatly improving driveability. The best takeaway from all of these replies to your query is this: Stay the hell away from Bama. They suck.

GriffX

Reaction score
Bama has a logfile procedure to drive in steps of 500 RPM, hold 10 seconds, 500 RPM more, and so on. Which is not so easy to drive even on the Autobahn with no speed limit. But, I'm really happy with the adjusted tune afterwards.

DieHarder

Reaction score
If you go down this road start with an SCT-X4 and AFS that can datalog (I went w/AES). You'll also need a laptop (and a couple of specialize cables) to load tunes to the X4 and capture/email datalogs for your tuner. There's a whole section somewhere on this site that I used and worked fine. Like MrBhp I went w/Lito when I installed a DOB/supercharger kit. He walked me thru the setup and within 3 tunes the car was running well. In fact, it's always run well. After that only a smog/non-smog tune and that's all she's needed going on 5 years now.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
I strongly disagree with the above info. A dyno tune is not the best tune, unless your car is going to live on the dyno. I have been down both roads. The dyno can get you close, usually. But you will still need to tune the car for real world use. If you have a local guy with a lot of experience on your specific vehicle, and he will continue to tune the car via datalogging after he has dyno tuned it, sure, go that route. It will cost more, but if you like to have a printout in your hand showing the absolutely predictable, and usually meaningless numbers, that might be the best route for you. But here's the thing. If you want your car to perform at it's best in the real world, datalogging while daily driving/racing is non negotiable. Triangle Speed in Bridge City, Texas tuned my latest project on their dyno. These guys have been the leaders in mod motor tuning. The car ran good. I later had Manuel (Lito) tweak the tune via email. I picked up 2/10ths and 3 mph in the quarter. While greatly improving driveability. The best takeaway from all of these replies to your query is this: Stay the hell away from Bama. They suck.
Tuning the actual car from the car's own data is better than taking generic numbers part per part from a mail-in tune. That's the point I was making.
If you're data-logging and sending back to a person to adjust numbers, you're essentially doing the same thing as a tuner sitting next to the car. It's basically custom tuning by proxy. Only difference is the conditions (dyno being like a lab environment with the noise cut out).
You're right that actual data-logging from a conditional event is better than a tune from a pull on a dyno, but a dyno tune will always get you better than a generic off the shelf tune.
Personally I tend to do both. Dyno tune to get it stable and close, then fiddle with logging to dial it in.
I don't trust any "canned" tunes for anything beyond maybe a CAI, and things like tire changes.

To the OP's question, I still stand by what I said. Get a mailed tune from a shop that will make a decent tune for your setup and not just some drop-down selections. Step up from there to get into active tuning with someone who can pay attention to your car specifically.
I know Brenspeed will make you a mailed tune for your setup and then make corrections if needed if you're having trouble, so they're good in my book for that. Their initial tunes will get you good enough to run reliably. If you want to really dial it in, it takes time (whether that's mailing logs back and forth, taking the car to a tuner, or better yet, getting someone to sit shotgun with their laptop and play).

And yeah, IDK if it's still the thing but we used to call Bama "Scama" for a reason. :)

Reaction score
Sounds like people are getting mixed results. I originally had Lito do my tune after installing the supercharger from DOB. I believe he did 3 or 4 revisions, and it still wasn't right. I tried to get another revision, but he never did respond. I took it to Blankenship and he fixed all the problems I was having with the Lito tune.

I'm not trying to give Lito a hard time...a lot of people have had good results from him, but it didn't work out for me.

Windy_3V

Reaction score
As many have already said in this thread, Lito is the BEST tuner for 3 valve mustangs. Very detailed, step by step process and I’ve been running his tune in mine for almost 2 years now with no issues. Bought my car with a Bama tune and the difference from their tune to his was night and day. Highly recommend him for any tune you want.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like people are getting mixed results. I originally had Lito do my tune after installing the supercharger from DOB. I believe he did 3 or 4 revisions, and it still wasn't right. I tried to get another revision, but he never did respond. I took it to Blankenship and he fixed all the problems I was having with the Lito tune.

I'm not trying to give Lito a hard time...a lot of people have had good results from him, but it didn't work out for me.
I had a similar experience. He may be the best there is but his reputation on this board is a bit much.

Where can I go to get help with sct x4 startup? I want to adjust gear and tire size. unsupported vehicle pops up.
Do you have a local tuner/shop that may be able to help? Where did you get the X4 from?

the sandman

Reaction score
Apocalypse Performance. I want to be able to operate the x4 myself. I need someone to help me get started, my current tune on the car is FPAFOA3 Does that sound like a stock tune? thanks

the sandman

Reaction score
Ok I have a brand new tuner SCT x4 and it's useless. I got on their site to update and I can't use my computer it's not compatible. Now I need a new computer(it's not 6 months old). How can you buy a brand new $400 product and it's not useable. Man this is starting to get to me. Guess who doesn't have a phone number. SCT

JC SSP

Reaction score
What SCTX4 do you have? Post pic of mode number and what does it say when you plug it in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back