turbo car blowing smoke

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
If my car sits for a long time I get water blowing out of my exhaust.
how long does it blow water for?

Check the piping on the exhaust side and see if there is any oil residue.
its clean

You can also pull your plugs and check them. I know my problem is on the hotside of the turbo cause I can go 10-15k miles and they will still be clean as a whistle. If you are burning oil on the engine side it will show up on the plugs.
ill do that friday with him, although it will probably give skewed results since it was blowing black/blue from the first 150 miles

01mingreyvert

forum member
Reaction score
We pulled the drain line on mine(3/4) from the oil pan and crunk the car up. The oil was coming out of the drain in a 3/4 inch stream. Just like what comes out of a water hose at your house. We put a .060 nos jet in the feed line and it cut the 3/4 inch stream down to about a 1/4 inch stream coming out the drain. Hooked the drain back up and the smoke was never seen again.

01mingreyvert

forum member
Reaction score
The water in the pipes would be normal from setting all winter even after a couple of days.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OP the squeal sounds more like it is coming from your altenator

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
If that was a 6.0 diesel I would say you had a blown head gasket haha. Degas bottle caps can "whistle/squeal" like that if you have too much pressure in the cooling system.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Water spitting is not common???
When I was N/A I did it and now that I am TT I do it a little for noticeably. I wont make a puddle but it will spit enough with the lobe of the cams to make it look like it rained on anything in a 3X1 foot distance..

I also have side pipes though...

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
mke sure you have a good sized oil restrictor, mine equaled a 1/16th drill bit,i think there are usually 2 different sizes to choose from.

3/4 drain line, no kinks and should be on the driver side of the oil pan to prevent the crank pressure from pushing oil back up into the drain line....if its on the driver side, the rotating assembly will act as a vacuum and pull oil from the drain hose.

catch can on the valve covers,im actually using a smog pump from a GM car to help pull the vapors with a boost switch,so at 2 psi it kicks on and pulls from both valve covers,also got a hose just before the turbo so @ idle the turbo pulls the vapors.

water is normal with a turbo....you ever see water in a compressor after you run it? same thing is going on in our pipes, your compressing the air, which creates condinsation....so on start up, you may see some smoke,thats usually from all the water sitting over night.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
catch can on the valve covers,im actually using a smog pump from a GM car to help pull the vapors with a boost switch,so at 2 psi it kicks on and pulls from both valve covers,also got a hose just before the turbo so @ idle the turbo pulls the vapors.

water is normal with a turbo....you ever see water in a compressor after you run it? same thing is going on in our pipes, your compressing the air, which creates condinsation....so on start up, you may see some smoke,thats usually from all the water sitting over night.

I have been looking for the correct smog pump to use but have had no luck... Willy do you have a link to the one you used... I did not want to spend the 400 on a moroso setup so I was going to use a air pump but mess with the internals so it would create vacuum out of the valve covers...

Yea I new water was normal... I tell all my boys to make sure to move their cars before I start up if they just cleaned them cause I will hit windows and paint lol...

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
well i noticed something today. we swapped out the oem mufflers for the corsa one. the oem mufflers have a lot of crap on the inlet side from before the catch can. im pretty confident they can be cleaned up and saved. in place of those, we put on some corsa mufflers. i could not get the car to smoke at all. im not saying that was my fix all for the smoking issue.....but it appears to be a good start if nothing else. i tried multiple times to get it to smoke with luckily no luck. ill put some more miles on the car tomorrow and see where that leads me. i am also currently running a stefs oil/air seperator.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have been driving trucks (Peterbilt cat550 twin turbo, Kenworth 475 cat twin turbo) now for 7 years. I depend on these motors to make my living. With that said, I am for sure you have a bearing going down in your turbo. Also another member on here said it too, I have built up too much oil pressure going to the turbo and had oil to seap around the seal and get burnt/blown out the exhaust. I would be calling garret. My experience, hope it helps. I have also had those impellars to break loose, and get blown/sucked into my motor. Thank god for cat warrenty :)

Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have been driving trucks (Peterbuilt cat550 twin turbo, Kenworth 475 cat twin turbo) now for 7 years. I depend on these motors to make my living. With that said, I am for sure you have a bearing going down in your turbo. Also another member on here said it too, I have built up too much oil pressure going to the turbo and had oil to seap around the seal and get burnt/blown out the exhaust. I would be calling garret. My experience, hope it helps. I have also had those impellars to break loose, and get blown/sucked into my motor. Thank god for cat warrenty :)

wow thats nasty stuff. last fall i put my 150 miles on the car after the install. when i realized it would take some investigating to find the problem, i put the car down for the winter. during that downtime, garrett checked the turbo and gave it a clean bill of health. when march rolled around, i drove it straight to the chassis shop. he did his thing described in post 1. the smoke seems to have worked itself out, but im going to put some more miles on it toay, to see if its clear, or just a fluke. the inside of the oem mufflers were gunked up anyway. when listening to the turbo with a screwdriver, it is quiet. im not saying its impossible for that, but due to it being quiet now, not smoking, and getting checked by garrett id like to believe its ok.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These engines have very high oil pressure on startup. I'm hoping the scavenge pump that I'm having installed will cure most of the smoking issues.

You have no idea... My JPC/RGR 3V motor is always at 100 psi oil pressure at idle!!!!:omfg:

Scavenger pump will be awesome but I would not be surprised if his (OP) turbo seal is already toast. I have 0 smoke on my car other than a very small exhaust amount when I leave the line off the trans brake at full power. A little 'puff' then but other than that, I never see smoke anywhere after the scavenger pump.

It also makes a HUGE difference where the turbo and scavenger pump is mounted in relation to the pan and feed lines.

Last edited:

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I hope it was something that simple. My luck just isn't that good lol. But if a bearing does go down on it. It sounds just like that when your at the big end of your boost. High pitched metal on metal whistling sound. Your ears are you best friend when it comes to saving your stuff before a major break down happens. Good luck *Peterbilt*

Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
You have no idea... My JPC/RGR 3V motor is always at 100 psi oil pressure at idle!!!!:omfg:

Scavenger pump will be awesome but I would not be surprised if his (OP) turbo seal is already toast. I have 0 smoke on my car other than a very small exhaust amount when I leave the line off the trans brake at full power. A little 'puff' then but other than that, I never see smoke anywhere after the scavenger pump.

It also makes a HUGE difference where the turbo and scavenger pump is mounted in relation to the pan and feed lines.
no smoke today or the day before, must be muffler related, and that stuff was clearing out slowly

I hope it was something that simple. My luck just isn't that good lol. But if a bearing does go down on it. It sounds just like that when your at the big end of your boost. High pitched metal on metal whistling sound. Your ears are you best friend when it comes to saving your stuff before a major break down happens. Good luck *Peterbilt*
the noise is only at idle very intermittently

Timbostang

Boost junkie!
Reaction score
I just put the .065 restrictor in mine and it didn't help. I think my hot side seal is just gone. It doesn't smoke at idle or start up. Only after boosting and letting off. My turbo is directly in front of the motor, and my drain hose goes in the drivers side of the pan. I know I have some extra drain hose that goes a little horizontal to make it over to the side of the pan. Maybe I will shorten it as much as I can without it kinking and try again. Only other option is to pull the turbo and take it to M&D diesel and have them rebuild the turbo.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back