Volume or Pressure???

07 Boss

Reaction score
So I have had a busy week plus it’s been too hot out (I’m old). But with some monsoons rolling through the last couple of days it’s dropped it down to like 110* so I can get some work done.

Well I got the cover off and was met with this.

And then I saw the wonky angle of the chain and saw the tensioner had come completely out. That’s effin weird. Can’t remember if I used any thread locker.

I’m thinking about just checking the timing and putting new tensioners on that side and calling it a day.

But I’m in this deep already. Might as well throw the new pump in, huh?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yes do right the first time so you don’t have to do it again. My .02 cents.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
So I have had a busy week plus it’s been too hot out (I’m old). But with some monsoons rolling through the last couple of days it’s dropped it down to like 110* so I can get some work done.

Well I got the cover off and was met with this.

And then I saw the wonky angle of the chain and saw the tensioner had come completely out. That’s effin weird. Can’t remember if I used any thread locker.

I’m thinking about just checking the timing and putting new tensioners on that side and calling it a day.

But I’m in this deep already. Might as well throw the new pump in, huh?
Hey 07Boss,

Am I blind or did those B1 chain tensioner bolts actually shear off leaving pieces of bolt shank still threaded in the block?
I've always pondered if this type of damage would\could occur w\ these chain tensioner bolts................now I know.

That's got me to thinking to get new chain tensioner bolts to replace the old ones when I do mine as this damage looks to be fatigue related from heat cycling\high side loading from chain\phaser operations as well as tensile loading from EOP over time (high mileage) to my eyes.......................I could be wrong though.

Is the B1 tensioner plunger stuck fully extended (won't collapse)?

Curious is why I asked..............

PS edit-------You wouldn't by chance have a 2-step setup currently installed or had 1 installed\used for staging while drag racing? Or did you use foot brake only up against the converter?

I can see 2-step usage being a contributor to what I'm seeing w\ the B1 side...............

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I second glasstop on busted bolts. Looks like the whole assembly was lose for some time, see the damage to the left/upper hole.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Wow. I noticed the crack guides and missing tensioner but YES that looks liked snapped bolts!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Shit. I noticed that this morning. Not sure how I’m gonna take care of this now. Might have to take it somewhere. I could try an easy out maybe. Never had much luck with broken bolts.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Go with an easy out first. If not, drill it out and helo coil it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Shit. I noticed that this morning. Not sure how I’m gonna take care of this now. Might have to take it somewhere. I could try an easy out maybe. Never had much luck with broken bolts.
Get left handed drill bits. Easyouts suck.
Go slow on the drill, it should back out the broken bolt as you drill into it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Get left handed drill bits. Easyouts suck.
Go slow on the drill, it should back out the broken bolt as you drill into it.
I got this. Never used it. Gotta wait for some shade now. Couple of hours and I’ll give it a go.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have used easy outs without any issues. Even used a center punch tapping the broken bolt out counter clockwise. Left handed drill bit might work if the bolt is not cross threaded. Good luck buddy.

07 Boss

Reaction score
We have achieved two successful broken bolt extractions. That Kobalt set is janky. Comes with right hand drill bits??? I started to drill the pilot hole and the bolt almost went through the block. What’s on the other side? Oil galley? I wonder where it would go if it went all the way through the head?

Anyways. I don’t care what people say about harbor freight, they have always come through for me.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Now for this rounded off tension guide bolt. I’m not sure how this got effed up.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Oh man, missed a bullet right there. This thread has me about to order parts and do the guides in my 07. It’s got 220k miles and it just now started to give a quick rattle on start up, just every now and then.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah I am at 120K and will be doing this soon...

JC SSP

Reaction score
Thx buddy. I have been looking for tricks and how-to on this for about a year. I think I have a good handle from other forum members and YouTube, but still a little leery of taking the front end apart. Please post as many pics as possible especially of the oil pump and pick up replacement. Great job too!

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
This is my second go around with this. Be sure to get one of these thingamajigs. Locks the phaser in place so you can wrench on it.

Holy crap! I’ve never seen that! I’ve probably done 50 timing chain jobs on modulars and I’ve never seen that.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I checked on Arp’s web site today, they got every bolt, stud or fastener available for every important component in these Ford 4.6L Modular engines…….except for these chain tensioners………

So it looks like Ford is it. I wonder if the chain tensioner bolts for a 03-04 Terminator or Mach 1 4.6L are of a stronger material since these engines have 4 cams thus a larger potential loading on the chain tensioners?

Gonna check into this when I get back home…….on vacation starting today.

I also agree……Harbor Freight does have some good stuff for very reasonable prices………

07 Boss

Reaction score
I’m stumped on the pick up tube. Can you do this without dropping the oil pan. Can’t seem to be able to deal with one of the bolts with the pan in the way. I might just do the timing and button her back up. The pump is still good.

I’m gonna search/post up in the tech section.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I’m pretty positive the 2, 3, and 4 valves all had the same tensioner bolts.

You could get a generic arp bolt that is the correct thread and length and give that a shot.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back