What am I missing??

dventers

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hopefully someone can help me...i've got an 05 GT, rebuilt engine, Ford hotrod cams, Ford racing high flow intake, JBA long tube headers, BBK high flow cats and H pipe. It will start running crappy and throws code for bank 2 sensor 1, if I shut it off and restart it will run fine for a bit befor doing agin..i've changed all 4 sensors , changed intake gaskets , ran smoke test for any possible leaks finding nothing..so then I took o2 extensions and plugged bank 2 plug on bank 1 and bank 1 pigtail on bank 2 and still got same result with code bank 2 sensor 1again., at that point I thought since it codes same and didn't change sides short in wiring so found very low mile engine wire harness and switched them out..still same thing..my thinking was with all this the ECM must be bad. Went to ford and ordered a new one, took 7 weeks to get but finally got it, put it in, up loaded my tune and to my disappointment still does same...can anyone please think of what i'm missing and not doing....thank you for any input you can give..

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Also just a guess, I once had crossed the o2 sensor plugs and had bank 1 plugged into bank 2 and bank 2 into bank 1. Swapping them caused the car to run poorly since it didn’t know how to correct fueling. Like Crises said what do fuel trims look like?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hopefully someone can help me...i've got an 05 GT, rebuilt engine, Ford hotrod cams, Ford racing high flow intake, JBA long tube headers, BBK high flow cats and H pipe. It will start running crappy and throws code for bank 2 sensor 1, if I shut it off and restart it will run fine for a bit befor doing agin..i've changed all 4 sensors , changed intake gaskets , ran smoke test for any possible leaks finding nothing..so then I took o2 extensions and plugged bank 2 plug on bank 1 and bank 1 pigtail on bank 2 and still got same result with code bank 2 sensor 1again., at that point I thought since it codes same and didn't change sides short in wiring so found very low mile engine wire harness and switched them out..still same thing..my thinking was with all this the ECM must be bad. Went to ford and ordered a new one, took 7 weeks to get but finally got it, put it in, up loaded my tune and to my disappointment still does same...can anyone please think of what i'm missing and not doing....thank you for any input you can give..
Looks like you fired the parts cannon in desperation instead of performing proper diagnostics.
What codes is your ECU throwing?
If you have an OBD 2 scanner, I suggest you monitor live data (especially STFTs & LTFTs on both cylinder banks, O2 sensor voltages from B1S! & B2S1) so we can find out what's going on.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Bank 1 looks normal but bank 2 seems to alternate between rich and lean. Since there's no vacuum leak from the intake side. I reckon you might have a driver's side header leak, and you may only need to tighten the header bolts to fix it. Check also where the downpipe meets the header collector.

dventers

Reaction score
I just went threw and torqued header bolts to speck and not finding any leaks on downpipes , collectors or mid pipes, would you know if this could be due to the tune.?

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I’m just clarifying here.. you said that regardless of what sensor you plug into the harness for bank 2, sensor 1, it always shows the same code? For that specific location?

That would tell me the problem is upstream somewhere since the problem didn’t move around. If wiring is new too then it all kind of just leads back to the tune doesn’t it?

Did this issue come up after the motor rebuild or was it running fine and this just started out of the blue?

dventers

Reaction score
After rebuild ...and now thinking about it my stupidity can't remember if I put longtube headers down when I listed all mods on the tune request

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
What is the exact code(s) you are seeing? I didn't see that posted.
If it's slow response, that a tuning change to support moving the o2 sensors in the headers, farther downstream from stock location.
The code tells the story, especially since the fuel trims don't look too bad.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just a thought, Which sensors did you use to replace the old ones? I know I had issues with my sensors and then went back to the original ntk ones. In the ford book it has the same part number for front and rear sensors. This didn't used to be that way. When I was having some sensor and code issues my tuner told me to look up the old ntk part numbers and use those and I haven't had an issue since. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Autokyrios

Reaction score
I have no experience with NTK sensors but I know with the Bosch ones you have to be ultra careful to use the right ones. There's a front and rear sensor, they have different pigtail lengths, and I've never had any luck getting them to work in any position other than what they're supposed to be (despite some people saying it doesn't matter). I have had Bosch sensors in boxes that are the wrong sensor, making me think either Bosch's packing QC isn't that great or someone at the store is doing a slop job putting them back in the right boxes. Not sure I can find it but I have a picture of a Bosch sensor with one part number in a box with a different part number. Guy at the store tried to argue it but Bosch had my side.
That said, I've only ever had one Bosch sensor go bad, and it wasn't really that it went bad so much as evil things happened with the cat and slagged it.
Never tried NTK. Maybe I'll I'll give them a go next time I pull the sensors out.

FredB66

Reaction score
The Bosch sensors are identical with the only difference in the part numbers being the length of the pigtail.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back