who DD on drag setup?

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles are ya'll getting out of your tires & how is it driving on the freeway with skinnies? Also does anyone drive on the street with et street pros?

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
Not a full drag setup but for what it's worth.

I've run Mickey Thompson's street radials on my 03.
I got around 11k of worthwhile treadlife.
I figure if I lived somewhere with better roads, I may have gotten more.

Mind you I also put around 100 passes on them too back when I did such activities

As for driving with skinnies.
I'd personally say no to that in general.
That's little better than driving with two donuts up front.

Either way, a full drag setup for a daily is a very sketchy idea.
Rain and slicks.....not fun.
Especially if you need to brake suddenly.

But that's my opinion on the matter.
Hopefully someone else can chime in with more.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I ran 315/35/17s nitto DRs on my mach and got about 10k life out of each set - that was with 4.56 gears and a manual.

I ran 255/60/15 mickey thompson et street radials on the 13 around the time i put the blower on and after 3500 miles they were just past the cords and began to bulge out... I have had 325/50/15s nitto DRs on there now and aside from sticking out a fair bit they do seem to hold up better, 2k miles and still more than half thread. The 13 has 2x the power of the mach though, and it's through an auto with a torque converter, so it is not easy on tires...

I DD it in arizona and I do have other vehicles to drive in bad weather though.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Drove home from the track the other night and came through a small area where it had just rained. 25mph and the car was wanting to fish tail on R series DR's.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
How many miles are ya'll getting out of your tires & how is it driving on the freeway with skinnies? Also does anyone drive on the street with et street pros?
Maybe the question you should be asking is how long will those DR's stay as sticky as when they were at their best, when you're always driving on them. What's just a small loss of grip going to cost you in a close match-up at the dragstrip?

Norm

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Why would you DD on a DR setup?
Well, some of our daily driving activities aren't in the snow like your sig picture, hahaha! It snows here too, but mine is mainly a weekend warrior that I drive 100 miles to and from the track with in the summer months, and the quick time pros do just fine on the interstate. I just leave them on unless we go on a road trip, and for the winter I put my stock wheels / tires on so I can do a little tuning / testing during the winter.

When I had drag radials on the stock rims, they'd live there until dead and the M&H's actually did fine in the rain for me too, I'm not encouraging it, but it was literally no issue at all. I woulda pulled over with the quick time pros for sure in the same rain storm on the interstate.

Another reason why I always at least have drag radials on any performance car is because of safety, my wife and I have a supercharged C63 Benz that now only has at least drag radials on the rear, and one time we were forced to ride on the stock street tires and you'd literally end up backwards and possibly in the wrong lane if a street race happened to occur. It's not like it dead hooks or is impossible to wreck with the Nitto drag radials that it wears now, but the chances of getting totally out of control are decreased by a large margin imo.

Last edited:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I simply don't understand wanting to daily drive on drag tires. Why ruin reasonably expensive tires that don't last very long on the street?

As for "a street race happening to occur", simple solution. Don't street race. They make tracks for that.

46addict

Reaction score
I ran 255/60/15 mickey thompson et street radials on the 13 around the time i put the blower on and after 3500 miles they were just past the cords and began to bulge out... I have had 325/50/15s nitto DRs on there now and aside from sticking out a fair bit they do seem to hold up better, 2k miles and still more than half thread. The 13 has 2x the power of the mach though, and it's through an auto with a torque converter, so it is not easy on tires...
How did those 255 Mickeys perform on the track?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I drove on 3.5 fronts with 28x15 tires and 15x3 rears with 28" m/t et street radials...

Was just fine. I didn't really notice issues in decent rain, just drove carefully.

I lowered the car and no longer use this setup since the fronts are too big and the rears poke. >: (

If I could do it again I would go bias ply, 26" fronts on 17" rims and 28" rear on the 15x10's. I'd drive it to work and back same as ever... but it's only like 8 miles.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I simply don't understand wanting to daily drive on drag tires. Why ruin reasonably expensive tires that don't last very long on the street?

As for "a street race happening to occur", simple solution. Don't street race. They make tracks for that.

This. ^

That's why us folks who are serious about corner carving have a second set of wheels for our "track" tires. Even if the tread looks good, driving on the street could heat cycle the tires and make them less sticky. And drag radials are a VERY soft compound that can heat cycle extremely easily.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run M/T DR's in the warm months but I don't run skinnies up front. I run the DR's on the rear because it's actually safer than a street tire. With the DR's I can actually get some traction for rapid acceleration, now whether that's just for fun or getting away from a dangerous traffic situation, it's still much safer then sitting there spinning the tires. I don't drive that many miles, so the 12000-15000 that I get from a DR is adequate for me. I have another set of wheels and tires that I run in the colder months because DR's don't like cold temps and the regular tires become safer to drive on.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Drag radials are ok as long as youre smart and dont drive like an idiot in the rain. From my experience the nitto 555dr is the best to drive on the street as far as being "ok" in the rain

A straight up drag tire on the street is dumb, imo. unless maybe its just to go to a meet/track or a quick outing. Better hope there isnt rain too.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score

I usually take it out of town, and the nearest track to me is over 100 miles away, so I will street race from time to time..

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
I run sve 17x4 front wheels with the MT 28" 10ply(55psi max) at 45 psi these have about 5k on them and show lil to no wear- run a sve 15x10 with a 275 PRO on the rear and they have about 1800 miles and 50 passes on them. They will probably make it 3 k(or till the end of October) but will be toast by then- front runners will make it at least another year or maybe 2. I don't drive car in rain, but have gotten caught once or twice- regular 275's are way better than pros in the water. I can not say enough about the MT heavy sidewall front runners- no tire roll or body flex at all- heavier than a traditional full drag tire but awesome on the street- handles corners way fast than they should. And I have no front sway bar but a extremely stiff rear sway bar.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
And I have no front sway bar but a extremely stiff rear sway bar.
That would be a truly evil combination if you didn't have such an horribly unbalanced tire combination for cornering. Fortunately, not a whole lot is going on at the 0.3g and under cornering that covers most peoples' street driving.

Norm

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've run DR's or R-compound tires on my car since I got it. I run them all year long. I have a separate set of QTP's that I run to, at, and home from the track. But my daily duties have always been on DR's. I've run The triple 5R's, NT05R's, MT Street R's and am currently on the MT Street Pros. I run them for the sake of the enhanced traction over a regular street tire. Makes a big difference. So strictly street driving and no track time I have had them last 8K miles (MT Streets) to 12K miles for the NT05R's to 16K with the 555R's. Traction or performance is a directly inverse of tire wear so I found the MT's to be the best and the 555R's to be the worst.

As far as running skinnies up front, my main concern would be braking. I have run skinnies on the street before but I always had a proportioning valve and could increase rear brake bias to compensate for the reduced braking up front. It will still have an increased stopping distance over full size tires but it helps. I suppose the ABS will help equal out the braking bias under extreme situations. Just use caution and insure proper gaps and enough room to slow down. It does take a conscious effort though.

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
I run sve 17x4 front wheels with the MT 28" 10ply(55psi max) at 45 psi these have about 5k on them and show lil to no wear- run a sve 15x10 with a 275 PRO on the rear and they have about 1800 miles and 50 passes on them. They will probably make it 3 k(or till the end of October) but will be toast by then- front runners will make it at least another year or maybe 2. I don't drive car in rain, but have gotten caught once or twice- regular 275's are way better than pros in the water. I can not say enough about the MT heavy sidewall front runners- no tire roll or body flex at all- heavier than a traditional full drag tire but awesome on the street- handles corners way fast than they should. And I have no front sway bar but a extremely stiff rear sway bar.

That's what I was pretty much looking to hear thanks.

Is you car a stick shift or auto? I'm asking because i'm running 275/60/15 pro on my car (stick shift) I know what people say about manual transmission and DR don't go together. Is a bias ply really necessary?

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
I've run DR's or R-compound tires on my car since I got it. I run them all year long. I have a separate set of QTP's that I run to, at, and home from the track. But my daily duties have always been on DR's. I've run The triple 5R's, NT05R's, MT Street R's and am currently on the MT Street Pros. I run them for the sake of the enhanced traction over a regular street tire. Makes a big difference. So strictly street driving and no track time I have had them last 8K miles (MT Streets) to 12K miles for the NT05R's to 16K with the 555R's. Traction or performance is a directly inverse of tire wear so I found the MT's to be the best and the 555R's to be the worst.

As far as running skinnies up front, my main concern would be braking. I have run skinnies on the street before but I always had a proportioning valve and could increase rear brake bias to compensate for the reduced braking up front. It will still have an increased stopping distance over full size tires but it helps. I suppose the ABS will help equal out the braking bias under extreme situations. Just use caution and insure proper gaps and enough room to slow down. It does take a conscious effort though.

Thanks I've been running the rear tire, but I never driving with a skinny before. My skinnies just came in today via UPS. So I was wondering if anyone has ever daily that setup.

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back