You knew it was coming...Porsche Build Thread

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
*Updated July 28th, 2011 - See Post #77*

Well the day has arrived, I took ownership of my first Porsche today. It is a 1987 Porsche 944, 5-speed, power everything, Silver/Red. It sure isn't a looker but its a real straight car, body on it is good. Haven't found any real rust on it, the engine is good minus a minor bearing that I need to replace. Transmission shifts like butter, handles good. Has new rotors, pads, hoses, fluids, water pump, fuel pump, belts, idler pulleys, Tires have good tread left on them. Shockingly, and I say this quietly, all the electronics on the car work.

Now for the battle plan: I want to run in the SCCA ITS class and in the 944Cup as well as in some PCA events. I'll be honest, this is going to take me a while since its a budget and I am doing everything myself. I am hoping the car is ready for next season ('12)

Here are the parts that I need to get (Nothing is for definite, and I am trying to get everything used from forums or fleabay):
Autopower Bolt-In Cage
OMP RS-P.T.2 FIA Race Seat OMP-HA/762
5 Point harnesses
Fire suppression system
Sparco steering wheel
Misc. Switches and gauges (I love data and so it looks race-carish)
A/C delete
gut the interior minus the dash.
New pulley bearing ($25 part, don't need it but the noise is just annoying)
Fancy suspension parts
Sticky tires
A whole lot of other shit I can't think of right now.

Also, who likes the name of my race team? Check sig.

Here are a few pictures of the car:
DSC03145.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know about SCCA but NASA requires SFI rated seats. Last time I checked Corbeau seats are not SFI rated. NASA has a pretty good 944 group as well.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know about SCCA but NASA requires SFI rated seats. Last time I checked Corbeau seats are not SFI rated. NASA has a pretty good 944 group as well.

Yea, I wasn't sure about that either. I'll probably try to pick up a set of Sparco Evos on ebay.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to review the official rules when doing a full build and there are plenty of resources in their forums but like here make sure you do some searching before posting questions. Not trying to push NASA but it's the one I'm familiar with. If you're in Joyze you'd be in the Northeast division which is run by really good folks. The chief tech inspector is Dave Deerson (T&Z Auto Service in South River).

Hope this helps.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules
http://www.nasaforums.com/

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to review the official rules when doing a full build and there are plenty of resources in their forums but like here make sure you do some searching before posting questions. Not trying to push NASA but it's the one I'm familiar with. If you're in Joyze you'd be in the Northeast division which is run by really good folks. The chief tech inspector is Dave Deerson (T&Z Auto Service in South River).

Hope this helps.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules
http://www.nasaforums.com/

I have been reading the SCCA General Rules booklet like a bible, I've also been skimming the Nasa rules and 44cup rules. Making sure I don't go outside the box anywhere along the line.

As for getting the roll cage welded, I can get a unpassable deal on a bolt in cage, so for now it will work but down the road i'd like a 8pt cage with nascar style doors.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Alot of these 944's at my Local Autocross events, the guys swear by them and they post some serious times. Looking forward to seeing your progress. COngrats.

sean858

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. I always told myself if I ever get my comp license I wanted to build a NASA spec944 car just so I could say I have a Porsche race car.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I envy you in a way: building your own racing car from a stock item is both a challenge and a mighty rewarding experience.

The "in a way" is because I did that some time back, and I learned too late that the best way to get into a racing series is to save up so you can buy an already-"experienced", developed, built-to-the rules car. Outlay for item-by-item improvements will quickly surpass the true cost of a second-hand racing car.

I did it the way you are talking about, because I rationalized that I couldn't afford a built car, and I could afford the "items" one or two at a time. I thought it was the only way I could do it at all. And it was, but it cost more overall than a comparable built car would have.

Buying a second-hand car carries its risks, as well: unless your are very familiar with the marque's specs and needs, you might not be able to choose a good one. Even if you have a friend who is expert, it's chancy: I know of one case in which a fellow and his marque-expert looked in detail at a very successful car, paid a premium price for it, and when it arrived after cross-country shipping, found that many of the especially exotic and valuable parts had been removed and replaced with run-of-the-mill items.

Any road, I've always wanted a good 944: I like their looks, and the way they work. When you graduate from yours, maybe I can buy it (with all the good parts!) and go racing?

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Alot of these 944's at my Local Autocross events, the guys swear by them and they post some serious times. Looking forward to seeing your progress. COngrats.

Surprisingly no one around here runs a 944 that I have seen on any road race events. So its one more reason I want one.

Awesome. I always told myself if I ever get my comp license I wanted to build a NASA spec944 car just so I could say I have a Porsche race car.

Haha, I love Porsches and I don't want to say its the only reason I bought one but I do love to say, "I own a Porsche" and soon can say, "I own a racing spec Porsche"

I envy you in a way: building your own racing car from a stock item is both a challenge and a mighty rewarding experience.

The "in a way" is because I did that some time back, and I learned too late that the best way to get into a racing series is to save up so you can buy an already-"experienced", developed, built-to-the rules car. Outlay for item-by-item improvements will quickly surpass the true cost of a second-hand racing car.

I did it the way you are talking about, because I rationalized that I couldn't afford a built car, and I could afford the "items" one or two at a time. I thought it was the only way I could do it at all. And it was, but it cost more overall than a comparable built car would have.

Buying a second-hand car carries its risks, as well: unless your are very familiar with the marque's specs and needs, you might not be able to choose a good one. Even if you have a friend who is expert, it's chancy: I know of one case in which a fellow and his marque-expert looked in detail at a very successful car, paid a premium price for it, and when it arrived after cross-country shipping, found that many of the especially exotic and valuable parts had been removed and replaced with run-of-the-mill items.

Any road, I've always wanted a good 944: I like their looks, and the way they work. When you graduate from yours, maybe I can buy it (with all the good parts!) and go racing?

Yea, I have heard this about a hundred times, and I know its the truth. I actually was on my way to buy a second hand Spec44 car but the guy sold it as I was driving up (After which he said he would not sell the car until I got my fair bid in for it as well) so I did try but I figure this will be a fun project and I love working on cars so this would be a fun, relaxing thing to do. Also, if you google Franck Fréon, I had him look at the car and he said for the price you can't beat it. I also would never buy a car without test driving it and running through it with a fine tooth comb, my father did as well, hes owned 3 944s and 2 924s so I trust his judgement.

On a final note, after I build this up and do some track events in it over a couple years and get bored of this. I will post it up in the classified section here, amongst other places.

On a final, final note: I plan to get some parts first before gutting the car. (Seats, cage)

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Surprisingly no one around here runs a 944 that I have seen on any road race events. So its one more reason I want one.

944's are pretty common at NJMP. You live in Somers' Point? I used to see one in a driveway coming into Ocean City right of the Parkway exit. Not sure if he still has it though.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
944's are pretty common at NJMP. You live in Somers' Point? I used to see one in a driveway coming into Ocean City right of the Parkway exit. Not sure if he still has it though.

I do, and yea I remember that car, he sold it forever ago. I know they are common at NJMP but I never really see any doing SCCA events. There was a PCA event a couple weeks ago and they must have been 9 944s there. Maybe I just go to the wrong events.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Love mine! ;) The only think I have driven that comes near the balance, precision and steering feel is a new cayman. (which is haunting me to buy one night and day)

Forgot to mention! I am not sure how familiar you are with 944's but there are two things every new owner should know.

1) When was the timing belts and water pump last changed? If the answer is unknown, change them. Old timing belts +interference engines + german parts =$$

2) Change the fuel lines under the hood. There is a pressure and return line as well as a short feed line that has burnt many a car to a flaming mess.

3) www.rennlist.com Good group of guys in general.

Have fun!

Last edited:

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Uh oh! The NASA AZ 944 contingent is HUGE! Should make for some competitive racing.

That was the thought. Just want to work on the nut behind the wheel, and I thought the playing field and participation in Spec944 (944 Spec, or whatever its called these days) seemed like a great fit (hopefully one day campaign a mustang in a larger class once I'm honed in some more).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back