You knew it was coming...Porsche Build Thread

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Update #3? 4? I forget already

Who thinks I needed plugs?

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Pulled these today just for shits and giggles, glad I did. Cylinder 1 Plug was nastiest, the car idles a bit better now, still a hesitation to the throttle but its not as bad meaning I have tracked down the problem, I am going to get new plug wires and then a new distributor if I need to.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Yes and misc. other gunk. The last owner replaced all the seals and gaskets but for some reason kept the original spark plugs in (135k miles)....wtf?

Last edited:

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
So i've been going through the car, making a list of what I will need to replace.

Ignition Wires
Idle Speed Controller Valve
Balance Belt

All I have found so far that I really feel needs replacement. This weekend i'm going to put the car on a jack for the first time and start removing stuff.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, haven't worked on the car in a bit, but I am realising that this won't be as expensive as I first worried. Really, the main things I need are Seats, Cage, Kill Switch, Fire Bottle, 5-point harnesses, window net, a couple other little things.

I found some seats, Cobra Monaco Pros, FIA Homogalated, and only $330ea.
4525006638_9d4b5f9f17.jpg

Pretty stoked about these awesome LEGAL race seats for such a cheap price. I was looking at some Sparcos and OMPs for $700. Planned to get the drivers seat in the upcoming week, passenger seat will come later. Found 5-point FIA Homogalated harnesses on fleabay, they are $99 for the pair. They will come next, finally Stable Energies is located in NJ, gonna call them up and order my cage and then go pick it up to save the $$$ from shipping.

Also getting a Momo Mod 07 deep dish wheel, deep dish will be sweet since it will raise the wheel up a bit, the car does not have tilt steering.

Now for the more fun part, PAINT and Paul-Walker-Go-Fast-Decals-to-impress-the-local-ricers stuff. I have decided (for now) on Porsche Orange:
926365.jpg

and I am going to do an all black interior (harnesses will be red or blue)

I also pulled off a few body panels the PO put on....with wood screws I might add...I am now left with a swiss cheese styled Porsche. I am trying to figure out a way of filling the holes, since this is a drive-way budget build and I fancy myself a bid of an urban cowboy/red neck I was thinking about grabbing my hand torch and some solder and filling the holes this way. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the steel bits, I solder it on thick then grind it down flat, primer and paint. If anyone has any input on this let me know. I have never done body work, but I have worked with metal and soldered stuff.

Also in lieu of trying to paint the car myself and fucking it up beyond all belief, i think I am going to prep the hell out of the car and tape it all off then drop it off at Maaco and have them do the cheap option. I don't car about how the paint really looks, its a track car, not a show car. Again, input appreciated.

I am still working on getting all of the glue and shit out of the interior, it is infuriating trying to get it out because I keep getting stuck to the car like a bug on a fly strip and I have to drag myself out leaving clothing, skin and hair behind. I plan to start with the hard chemicals this weekend to finish the job once and for all.

I've also been flirting with the idea of actually registering the car and making it a street legal race car, thoughts? I figure it would be easier and more fun to get a little tow behind trailer and drive to the track.

Like so:
MINIS0626trailer.jpg

I have found them brand new at around $400, used for much less.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
  1. Porsche Orange FTW.
  2. I hope you're not talking about electrical solder; it is very brittle. If you're going to patch it yourself, use alumaloy. (Technically that is a form of soldering.)
  3. A few guys in my autocross club use those little trailers. One fellow pulls it behind his Factory 5 Cobra. They are just big enough for 4 R-compound tires and wheels and a toolbox with jack and a few other items. I'm actually thinking about getting one for my 'Stang.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
  1. Porsche Orange FTW.
  2. I hope you're not talking about electrical solder; it is very brittle. If you're going to patch it yourself, use alumaloy. (Technically that is a form of soldering.)
  3. A few guys in my autocross club use those little trailers. One fellow pulls it behind his Factory 5 Cobra. They are just big enough for 4 R-compound tires and wheels and a toolbox with jack and a few other items. I'm actually thinking about getting one for my 'Stang.

There is a girl in my area that has a Orange Porsche boxster like I posted, I don't like the Boxster but I love the color. I am going to try my hand at Bondo (ugh....), and for the track all I need is a set of wheels/tires and a toolbox for all my stuff.

Also, I picked up some 3m Adhesion Remover ($10 a can but worth it, works fast as hell). My lungs are on fire, I need a better respirator.

Last edited:

Infamousjim

forum member
Reaction score
Best advice I can give for bodywork is to find a friend who knows bodywork. It is an art and there are so many tricks, you'd do best if you can find someone who's been doing it for a while to give you some tips on the car.

another funny orange boxter story, saw one at a home depot in Berlin NJ, it's the exact color as their stores, I can only assume it was a manager/owner. I gotta dig up the picture I took.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Hey people, another Headless Seagull Racing update:

Well, I officially hate carpet glue, sound dampening, anything sticky in this car. After 2 bottles of good gone, 3 cans of 3m Adhesive remover, 13 pairs of gloves, and 2 Spackle knives, I am annoyed to say, I am STILL not done stripping the interior of the car, but damnit, I am friggin close!

The whole rear is done, that was the worst part, 3 levels of insulation and sound deadening, the silver stuff is metal tape, mixed with a tar like substance that is insanely sticky, like cartoon levels of stickiness, then there is insulation that must be chipped away inch sized piece at a time.
DSC03162.jpg

Here is the after result:
DSC_0003-4.jpg

The carpet padding on the backseat is a super pain in the ass but it comes off if you soak it long enough. I am priming everything with green self etching primer, its working very well.
DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Last picture shows the little bit more work I need to do.

Also fixed holes in my back bumper from the last owner.
DSC_0004-4.jpg

Started painting some interior pieces flat black, coming along nicely:
DSC_0001-5.jpg

All for now, started sanding the body, gonna primer it soon

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats amazing is that these cars were 2900lbs dripping wet with a ton of insulation, were made entirely out of steel and built like a tank.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Whats amazing is that these cars were 2900lbs dripping wet with a ton of insulation, were made entirely out of steel and built like a tank.

I enjoy expressing to skeptics how solid of a car it is by hitting it, no dents or damage just a really solid, "THUD". I believe other than the bumpers and targa top (fiberglass) the whole car is in fact all steel, although a few body panels appear to be aluminum because they have been exposed to salt air for sometime without any rust.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
were you using heat to break/bring up the insulation? My lemons team spent a whole day to do 1/3 of our similar year Audi Coupe, and once they discovered what a heat gun was the remainder of the car was done in 3 hours.

Seems like the adhesives and tars really don't like getting much hotter than 200* before just breaking down.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
were you using heat to break/bring up the insulation? My lemons team spent a whole day to do 1/3 of our similar year Audi Coupe, and once they discovered what a heat gun was the remainder of the car was done in 3 hours.

Seems like the adhesives and tars really don't like getting much hotter than 200* before just breaking down.

I did, then stopped. I would heat it up, it would turn to a gel like liquid, before I could clean it up, it would cool and make a bigger mess.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Front and rear bumpers are cast aluminum. Not sure about the roof panel. The hood and fenders are steel. Doors are steel. Fenders are steel and weigh nothing.

Everything on these cars is dipped in galvanize and epoxy primer from the factory.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Front and rear bumpers are cast aluminum. Not sure about the roof panel. The hood and fenders are steel. Doors are steel. Fenders are steel and weigh nothing.

Everything on these cars is dipped in galvanize and epoxy primer from the factory.

Huh...didn't know that, love learning new things, the galvanizing makes sense.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
One of the unlikely stickum-removers I have encountered is "Spray 'N' Wash" the laundry product. It works with enzyme action on anything based in biological materials. Spread it on, massage it a bit, and let it sit while the little chewers chow down. Most everything of a gluey nature yields to it, eventually.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back