Good drag radial for 18x8 stock 2012 5.0 rims

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Probably beat to death, but I want a good hooking tire that I can use on my stock 5 spoke 2012 5.0gt rims, I'd like them to be at least 27" tall. Am I destined to buy a whole new set of wheels/tires just to get traction at the strip with tis car? LRS has 2 Nitto NT05's listed for 18" rims https://lmr.com/item/NTO-207050/Nitto-275-40-18-NTO5-Tire-Mustang-79-14,
https://lmr.com/item/NTO-207020/Mustang-275-35-18-Nitto-NTO5-Tire-79-14, but they're both under 26" tall, I'll be running these all the time, and the wheel opening on these cars is pretty big, and I'm not into dropping the car at all.

Again, I'd like to have a good hooking rear tire for every day diving, and not have to purchase another set of wheels to do so?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why ask about DRs and post links to street tires?

Did u search at all before u asked this question?

And lastly, you're looking for a unicorn

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Nitto Nt05's are a softer compound than the nt555r extreme drag radials, many use them with decent 60' times. I'll get a set of slicks with an extra set of dedicated rims to use just at the track. Didn't mean to offend anyone by asking about a good drag radial for stock 18x8 rims, thought it was straightforward, and somewhat simple question? Maybe someday I'll buy a GT500, and a big twin screw, so I can be cool too, hahahaha. That was free, and didn't even bother to do a search! If this makes you happy, it even says the word "drag radial" for ya https://lmr.com/item/NTO-315_35_17/315-35-17-Nitto-Nt555r-Drag-Radial, but it is also too short, and I'd put a 100 dollar bill that you couldn't 60' as good as the NT05's I listed above, even though the word "drag radial" isn't used in the add.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Nitto NT05's are relative shit.

Again. Looking for a unicorn.

And, yes, if you want to go fast you will need another set of wheels.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I'm guessing me and probably next to nobody will be lifting the fronts off the ground with nearly ANY drag radial, but a nice 1.6-1.8 60' wouldn't be too bad for me, and these tires won't do it? I've went from the stock continental street tires on our supercharged C63 with 60' times of 2.1-2.3 down to 1.7's on Nitto 555r's, nothing except better tires being the change. I have nothing against getting new wheels too, although it cuts into other go fast parts funding for me is all.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably beat to death, but I want a good hooking tire that I can use on my stock 5 spoke 2012 5.0gt rims, I'd like them to be at least 27" tall. Am I destined to buy a whole new set of wheels/tires just to get traction at the strip with tis car? LRS has 2 Nitto NT05's listed for 18" rims https://lmr.com/item/NTO-207050/Nitto-275-40-18-NTO5-Tire-Mustang-79-14,
https://lmr.com/item/NTO-207020/Mustang-275-35-18-Nitto-NTO5-Tire-79-14, but they're both under 26" tall, I'll be running these all the time, and the wheel opening on these cars is pretty big, and I'm not into dropping the car at all.

Again, I'd like to have a good hooking rear tire for every day diving, and not have to purchase another set of wheels to do so?

The links in this post are to the NT05. This is not a drag radial.

Nitto Nt05's are a softer compound than the nt555r extreme drag radials, many use them with decent 60' times. I'll get a set of slicks with an extra set of dedicated rims to use just at the track. Didn't mean to offend anyone by asking about a good drag radial for stock 18x8 rims, thought it was straightforward, and somewhat simple question? Maybe someday I'll buy a GT500, and a big twin screw, so I can be cool too, hahahaha. That was free, and didn't even bother to do a search! If this makes you happy, it even says the word "drag radial" for ya https://lmr.com/item/NTO-315_35_17/315-35-17-Nitto-Nt555r-Drag-Radial, but it is also too short, and I'd put a 100 dollar bill that you couldn't 60' as good as the NT05's I listed above, even though the word "drag radial" isn't used in the add.
No offended by the first post. U r being a smart ass with the wrong guy.

It is a simple question. One I gave u the answer for. 27" DR doesn't exist for a 18" wheel.

The link in the second post is a different tire all tougher.

One quick search is no effort at all. This forum doesn't spoon fed, we expect some effort on the members part, if you want to continue being an ass..... Try me.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Sorry big mad moderator, I thought it was a simple question, which you actually answered in a nice manner the second time around. All I can say is that it sucks there's no decent drag radial for the stock 18x8 rims that came on the bare bones model 11-14 5.0 stang, and it's actually hard to believe, as an owner of many stangs over the years, but it is what it is I guess. And between just you and I, who's really being an ass here? Your first response was a smart-ass comment/question, here it is as a matter of fact "Why ask about DRs and post links to street tires"?
Uh oh, and this other site actually refers to Nitto NT05's as "drag radials" so can the cool-kid stuff and you do a search

http://www.americanmuscle.com/nitto-nt05r-285-40-18.html

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing me and probably next to nobody will be lifting the fronts off the ground with nearly ANY drag radial, but a nice 1.6-1.8 60' wouldn't be too bad for me, and these tires won't do it? I've went from the stock continental street tires on our supercharged C63 with 60' times of 2.1-2.3 down to 1.7's on Nitto 555r's, nothing except better tires being the change. I have nothing against getting new wheels too, although it cuts into other go fast parts funding for me is all.

More reading, less posting......

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

That above 315-35-17 requires an 11" wide rim. A 285-40-18 needs a 10" rim. The 285-45-18 needs a 10" rim. You can't do much with a 8" wide rim. A 305-40-18 needs a 11" rim. the 305-45-18 needs a 10" rim. Replace your 8" rims with something wider on the rear.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually there is a tire that many use on the stock 18x8 including myself. The M&H 275/45/18 fits the rim perfectly..

agreed a great tire, however not the 27" he's looking for, I run the 325/40/18 on my car so I can be one of the cool kids....

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Actually there is a tire that many use on the stock 18x8 including myself. The M&H 275/45/18 fits the rim perfectly..

Those look great, Do they bite pretty good? I just wanna make sure because they are 327 a piece at jegs, and I actually had a set of 28" tall M&H's on my 04 Cobra, and although they hooked the best out of several DR's I had on that car, they actually had really bad run-out, and bounced my car down the road, and made it feel like a POS, but I could chalk that up to bad luck if I hear some good feed-back on these

agreed a great tire, however not the 27" he's looking for, I run the 325/40/18 on my car so I can be one of the cool kids....
It can be a 28" tall tire, I just wanted a 27" minimum, a lot of the drag radials that would work on these rims are in the 25, and 26" range which is plain too short, for traction and looks imo.

dude, i'm going to do you a solid. buy these from bruce. he's a great guy and these are great tires. this is a good deal man, you'll hook and you won't be disappointed. i would buy these, but i have other financial goals i need to stay disciplined with.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117059
Thanks, that is a good deal. I wish my other two rims were chrome so I wouldn't still have to buy 2 more tires and rims aside from those.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score

What chaps my ass is that you joined a few days ago and obviously didn't read the forum rules - i.e. your first thread was posted in the wrong section and it wasn't an introductory post.

So instead mouthing off to someone who does his best to keep our tech section clean and searchable, try a little due diligence.

Welcome.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can be a 28" tall tire, I just wanted a 27" minimum, a lot of the drag radials that would work on these rims are in the 25, and 26" range which is plain too short, for traction and looks imo.

I see, I guess that could have been a bit better communicated then, I know you said min 27"

Anyway.... you found your solution.

BTW - if you order off M&H's site you can find discount codes online

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The M&H 275/45/18 are sticky tires. IIRC the code "dakota-durango" will get you some money off from M&H.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate not having to buy 4 new wheels / tires instead of just 2 drag radials that will fit these rims to have a decent 60' time at the track.

BTW - if you order off M&H's site you can find discount codes online

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads-up.

They gave me 1.5 60's and we're also great in the rain.
That's pretty impressive for a street legal tire!! And this was on the stock 18x8 rims to boot?

Last edited by a moderator:

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate not having to buy 4 new wheels / tires instead of just 2 drag radials that will fit these rims to have a decent 60' time at the track.

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads-up.

That's pretty impressive for a street legal tire!! And this was on the stock 18x8 rims to boot?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back