my KB install thread

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
my KB install thread-WRITE UP WITH PHOTOS

I'm starting the install tomorow..also starting this thread and will keep updating it as I go.with photos,write up install and all that.I will also be posting Q's so for all the KB guys keep an eye on it since I'll have the laptop in the garrage:LMAO:I allready boght a 6 psi pulley(I'll up to the 9 psi that I have when get intercooled),HT0's from JDM gapped to 0.30,steeda's heavy duty tensioner.....so ...we'll se what happens:bigbeer:

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Good luck. Don't over-rev that bitch when it's done! Bottom-end rebuilds suck...

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
everything goes by the manual so far.Heater core hoses took me 1.5 hours to take those fucking things off.what do you mean dont over rev it.5k rpms?is that a lot.I'll post a lot of photos.everything so far fits like a glove.Good job KB.I also aded the steeda heavy duty tensioner...the wiring was nothing,puting all the wires back in the plastic shields ....that was a pain in the ass

Last edited:

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
everything goes by the manua so far.Heater core hoses took me 1.5 hours to take those fucking things off.what do you mean dont over rev it.5k rpms?is that a lot.I'll post a lot of photos.everything so far fits like a glove.Good job KB

I went .032" gap on the sparkplugs. I wouldn't go over 6.5K on the rpms, and it'll bounce of that, quick!

Yes, heater hoses where a beatch. Much easier once I got it figured out.

Watch the bolts on the alternator. I had one that was too short, had to get a longer one to get proper torque. Bolt from hell isn't that bad if you have a 13mm deep socket.

Whatever you do, don't start the car with the vent plug in the coolant crossover out, like the directions say. You'll have an angry yellow geyser when you start the car. I'm sure they've changed that in the manual by now.

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
DSCN0828.jpg

starting the disasembly
DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0832.jpg

still dissasembling....make sure you have a ford rebuild manual...kb manual is relly good explained too
DSCN0833.jpg

while I was at it I throwed in the steeda heavy duty belt tensioner
DSCN0834.jpg

make sure you tape all the holes...i droped a screwdriver tip and hardly took it out
DSCN0835.jpg

draining the coolant out
that's not all tough it will leak more....
DSCN0837.jpg

DSCN0838.jpg

old CAI K&N filter wrapped with heatshield tape
-4 SALE
DSCN0839.jpg

the heater core hoses was the thing that took us an hour and a half.....IT'S A BITCH...make sure you have somone to help you and make sure you have a mirror to see under the hose itself.MIRROR IS A MUST
DSCN0840.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

shit everywhere:LMAO:
DSCN0845.jpg

cuting the hole for the air filter intake
DSCN0846.jpg

done
DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

file it and tape it so the hose don't get cut
DSCN0850.jpg

DSCN0851.jpg

relocating the pcm,and installing the bracket

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
DSCN0853.jpg

just my retarded ass :))))
DSCN0855.jpg

the air filter installed in place
DSCN0858-1.jpg

rerouting the maf plug and the other plug that goes into the TB nothing really hard,just make sure you mark every plug (the plug itself and where you took it out of
DSCN0859-1.jpg

windshield wiper fluid tank installed
DSCN0860-1.jpg

one of the things that I broke was the headlight mountning peg.Nothing a lile epoxy cant fix:)))))
DSCN0865-1.jpg

manifold ...you need a hend with that...heavy
DSCN0866-1.jpg

fuel rails installed
DSCN0867-1.jpg

tadaaa manifold done

DSCN0868-1.jpg

the car all torn apart :)))

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
ok......now the cool stuf:beerdrink:

DSCN0869.jpg

the blower........aaaaaaah the blower:drool:
DSCN0870.jpg

changed the 9psi 3 7/8 pulley with the 6psi 4 1/8 one that I boght
DSCN0871.jpg

tuck the gasket good because when you take the tape it WILL come off
this lobes.......soooooooo cool
DSCN0873.jpg

in the updated instructions it does say,don't use the silicone there anymore because there's gasket now.....use it.You can allways re caulk it when you take it off
DSCN0874.jpg
wooooooooooo
DSCN0875.jpg

on the car...IT IS HEAVY AS SHIT....YOU NEED A HAND WITH THAT...YOU WILL HAVE TO TUCK IT UNDER FUEL RAIL BRACKETS
DSCN0876.jpg

AAAAAH BEUTY
DSCN0881.jpg

routing the belt according to the updated route was a bitch since in the instructions it tels you to take that idler ribbed pulley off...but when you run the belt it rubs right in that bump out mounting place...now in the belt bag theres 2 more diagrams,one of them the belt shows that pulley(ribbed) and the belt goes under it.The second diagram it shows the belt goes over it but it's replaced with a flat non-ribbed pulley...and in the other on it shows it deleted.....but the belt rubs.....so since it's just idler pulley i ran it like in diagram 1

thats how I routed it
DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

whoop there it is....
DSCN0888.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

this is the oil vapor separator,it catches all the oil from the air going in the blower you can drain it on the bottom
DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

BAP installed
DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

the vacum switch that they give you.Mine didn't come with the manual adjustable swich,but wit this vacum switch that you route the wire to it to the front of the car and tap the vacum from the baypass valve

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

tadaaaaaaah everything back together

I'll be updating that post when I install the intercooler down the road...I'll also post the belt routing too

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
OK.Thats the pix i have so far....everything pretty simple when you folow the directions...the heater core hoses were a pain in the ass...I brke the tap on mi right headlight when tried to put it back on...some epoxy and is like brand new :)..the other thing that I broke was the bolt that holds the driver side fuel rail bracke at the back...since the pipe that the fuel line clamps one was totaly on the way and the bolt was sitting on an angle...I figured I'll cross thread it since the manifold is aluminum and the bolt wasn't but....it snapped right in half...I took it out with the broken bolt removal kit that I have an had to go buy a flat head bolt for there anyway it's on.so now really what we have to do is the blower itself... so I'll keep posting

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
now my Q's

1...I totaly forogot that that tune was for 91....I have 93 octane gas there is that going to be a problem.....please tell me that I dont have to drain it!!!!

2...before I start the car how do I know is the coolant is enough?I saved whatever came out of the radiator but a shitload of it dumped between the heads.what's the set amount for that car/setup..

3...Am I gonna have to bleed it while it's running from that valve on the top of the crossover and pooring the coolant at the same time?

4...Does anyone makes a strut tower brace that works with that blower

5...How much oil do I have to really put in it.It does say...quote "put like half of the botle..." so that kind of not EXACT:LMAO:

Last edited:

SF BULLITT

Reaction score
Are you cutting into the radiator support in the last four pix, for the CAI?

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
Yes it is.It was a bitch too....

Last edited:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
I called JDM and I told them what do I ned the sparkplugs for and I told them that it'll be 6psi non intrcooled.They said that they find that the best gapping for that is 0.30 so that's how I got them.Pregapped.I'll trust them :beerdrink:

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
I'll keep updating the question post so,keep cheking it out guys!Thanks for all the tips and info.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back