406 RWHP - N/A 3V - Stock Shortblock

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
This is an old ass video. But in light of showing that 400+ hp can be made with 3V motors naturally aspirated, I figured I post this.

We did this back in November of 2005

http://www.blowbyracing.com/vid-406.html

4 years later that same car is making 392 on 93 octane with a street tune on a 70 degree day.

ALSO to add, another motor we just recent built for a customer up in Jacksonville, Florida. His car made 427rwhp N/A.

So, 400+ is very possible.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
400+ might be possible but how much $$$ would that cost? and im not trying to be a smart ass im just weighing my possibilites in months coming up...

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
it does cost alot to do it. But look at it this way. Some people (myself included) do not have the money to just go drop 5 to 10k on a decent blower. (and have it done right)........If you are going n/a, you don't have to buy everything at one time. You can buy it one at a time, and put it together piece by piece, the hardest being the heads.

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
silver explained it very well.....

Buy a rotating assembly....save some more money
Buy a block....save some more money
etc etc....

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
well I can tell you this. I have been building my car up over a period of a few years. I can't afford to buy a blower, no way. I put my car in the 11s VERY cheap. and easy. Now that wasn't n/a, but that lets you know you can go fast without a blower.

Back on topic. I'm currently looking to break the 400 mark this year. Have a custom set of P&P heads and Comp stage 3s. Waiting on the heads to get out of the machine shop. I have been working on doing this for a LONG time. I will still be cheaper off doing this than buying a blower. And N/A power is alot less stress on your engine. You don't hear about many modular guys slinging rods n/a.........the light weight "junky" factory stuff actually helps us. That might be one reason why the big heavy Forged N/A guys can't make decent numbers. I dunno JMO

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The way I've always looked at it was that if you look at the "average" person who builds up these monster FI cars, they get all the goodies (built SB, heads, cams, etc.) + a blower/turbo. That's all the same stuff you'd get if you stayed N/A, so I don't see the big issue with the cost. You are still looking at somewhere between 7-10K for a built longblock, depending on various factors.

The only thing I don't like is that if you go nuts on the compression (10-11+), you may cross the point of no return if you ever decide to go FI. Then it will get expensive as all hell.

Just my .02.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
well thats the thing, if your staying N/A, you dont NEED a big built shortblock with bad ass H beam rods, forged pistons, etc, etc.........thats actually hurting people more than they think. That stuff is HEAVY. A forged crank might help (rpm wise) but the other stuff is not REALLY needed IMO...........Put it this way, I have seen a few high compression strokers N/A, and they are making decent numbers. BUT people are surpassing them with a stock bottom end and simular heads and cams. Explain that to me. I really would like to be filled in on that part of it.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
thats what i'm saying john, you made pretty damn good numbers on a STOCK short block. Now why are there "race cars" out there only making 390s on a BUILT high compression motor with big cams and heads??? I don't get it. Maybe its dynos. I dunno. All I know is I get tired of the people saying 400 N/A is only possible on an EXTREME radical, Non streetable, high compression stroker motor. Thats not the case. Even though you did say THAT particular tune wasn't streetable. What happens with you throw an intake manifold on that car with a few other odds and ends?!

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Soon 400-430rwhp will become somewhat common for Bolt on/H/C cars. Then those people will buy an intake manifold to hit 450rwhp and the new goal will be 475-500rwhp, which IMO will only be able to be achieved with a very large and unstreetable custom cam and by shortbelting off the power steering.

xtreme02gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I put only 1 mod on my car and got 497rwhp :thumb:... Spent alot less money than it would have cost me to do all those bolt-ons

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
thats what i'm saying john, you made pretty damn good numbers on a STOCK short block. Now why are there "race cars" out there only making 390s on a BUILT high compression motor with big cams and heads??? I don't get it. Maybe its dynos. I dunno. All I know is I get tired of the people saying 400 N/A is only possible on an EXTREME radical, Non streetable, high compression stroker motor. Thats not the case. Even though you did say THAT particular tune wasn't streetable. What happens with you throw an intake manifold on that car with a few other odds and ends?!

It's in the tuning.

We've made this number on 2 different dynos.

1st one was at a performance shop in Pompano Beach and the 2nd was at our own facility.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well thats the thing, if your staying N/A, you dont NEED a big built shortblock with bad ass H beam rods, forged pistons, etc, etc.........thats actually hurting people more than they think. That stuff is HEAVY. A forged crank might help (rpm wise) but the other stuff is not REALLY needed IMO...........Put it this way, I have seen a few high compression strokers N/A, and they are making decent numbers. BUT people are surpassing them with a stock bottom end and simular heads and cams. Explain that to me. I really would like to be filled in on that part of it.

I'm no engine expert. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm not hung up on numbers, at least not those numbers.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
I am not hung up on dyno numbers either, I race my car. BUT they do give a decent idea of how a car will perform and the gains they achieved from a mod.

Xtreme02gt, Some of us can't afford to just go buy a HUGE single mod, its just not in our budget. You can build an N/A car piece by piece. Yeah it might cost more in the long run to build a strong N/A car, but at least I don't see the "hit" in the wallet all at once.

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Xtreme02gt, Some of us can't afford to just go buy a HUGE single mod, its just not in our budget. You can build an N/A car piece by piece. Yeah it might cost more in the long run to build a strong N/A car, but at least I don't see the "hit" in the wallet all at once.

Amen. There's also sometimes a bit more satisfaction in doing it with an NA car. In my opinion at least.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
DAMMIT!
now bbr got me hooked on the idea of 400rwhp n/a...oh well F the blower idea
looks like im going all out n/a, ill be contacting you in the near future for some nice p&p heads and some cams

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There's also sometimes a bit more satisfaction in doing it with an NA car. In my opinion at least.

why? not being a smart ass, I really just dont get the whole N/A thing....

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
DAMMIT!
now bbr got me hooked on the idea of 400rwhp n/a...oh well F the blower idea
looks like im going all out n/a, ill be contacting you in the near future for some nice p&p heads and some cams

I'm working on a upcoming killer package price on heads and cam package for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

I should have it all worked out by tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back