5R55S: She's Dead Jim. Or Maybe Not?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The skinny: Car has 51k+ miles, n/a with the usual assortment of bolt-ons and 140+ passes at Sacramento Raceway (1/4 mile).

Last Wednesday, I pulled two dumb-ass moves, I launched with the tranny in 1st and then backed that up with another run where I launched in 3rd. As the night went on the tranny started acting up on the return road. As it topped out in 2nd there was some hesitation, then the RPMs would surge and the tranny would "slide" into third. Right before the final run of the night, the car would not go into reverse.

After I went to the tower to collect my winnings, I re-flashed my tune. Car seemed fine, drove it home but the 3rd gear slide happened again right after I got off of the freeway (about 40 miles later).

Car seemed ok Thursday and Friday. Friday night it would not go in any gear. Saturday morning - same. Had the car towed to Ford. They called me later that afternoon and said that the car did work at one point during the day, but then started acting up again.

Monday afternoon Ford called, said my fluid was burnt. I asked them to replace it and that I would be over before they closed. Lostsoul and I went over to chat with them late that afternoon (I wanted a witness). I tried the car, still no gear. I left the car there and started doing my research on a replacement tranny.

Yesterday morning, I was ready to pull the trigger on this. Before I could commit to it, I went back over to Ford to try one last thing, re-flash the tune again. When I got there they told me that the car had worked again but they could not find the reason for the intermittent problem. I checked the car and it ran fine. I decided to just bring it home.

View attachment 1266

I drove it several times last night and again this morning, no signs of trouble. My question to you is this; Did I dodge a bullet or do you think I'm sitting next to a time-bomb? A deep tranny pan with a dipstick is going to be a lot cheaper than a replacement transmission...

TIA

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost to just get that trany rebuild as apposed to a completely new one?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost to just get that trany rebuild as apposed to a completely new one?

To have it re-built to stock would be between $1800 and $2500. But then I would be right back where I started (or where I am now).

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was no metal in the fluid and the car seems pretty solid now. I remember when the bands were slipping in my Goat - they never got any better until I replaced the tranny. I'm really wanting to take it to the track tonight...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was in this position not to long ago. Not sure to just get it rebuilt, or go with a AODE / C4. In the end I decided to get mine rebuilt by Tony at Larry's Transmission in Corona. He did upgrade the trans, although stock bands are still being used. Mine started acting up after 61K miles and alot of nitrous passes at the track, so if the stock one can last that long I thought I would give Tony's trans a try. Also, I didn't feel like getting a new driveshaft, trans crossmember, new shifter, etc.

So far so good, but I have only driven roughly 1200 miles and made 14 passes at the track so far.....and it cost me $1700.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I can't make the decision for you Bret, but I can tell you what I'd do... I'd probably drive it until it breaks once and for all. It might be good for thousands more miles, or it might take a shit tonight. Who knows? But, since you've already contemplated the worst case scenario (buy a new trans), why not get eveything you can out of it? If/when it dies, then you can weigh the options of having it rebuilt (with better parts where available), or doing a complete trans swap to an AOD or something.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And if it does last another month, TCI's performance clutches and bands should be available by then, as well as their race version of the 5r55s.

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Cranked up the pressure to the tranny, WAY up, and I broke the input shaft and fried my 3rd and overdrive....... Went back with a used stock one ($1100) and a TCI converter($489 ebay) and it works very well!!!

Launches around 3000 rpm's...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To have it re-built to stock would be between $1800 and $2500. But then I would be right back where I started (or where I am now).

I was thinking more along the lines of psfracer and getting it rebuild with upgraded parts.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of psfracer and getting it rebuild with upgraded parts.

That's what I'm starting to lean towards, then the blower fund doesn't take such a hit.

Don - you had me at "drive it until it breaks". I'm leaving for the track in a few minutes. If I'm not back before late it'll be because 1.) I'm winning or 2.) I'm waiting for a tow truck.

don_w

Reaction score
Either come home ealry, or come home a winner. The other option kinda sucks.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm starting to lean towards, then the blower fund doesn't take such a hit.

Don - you had me at "drive it until it breaks". I'm leaving for the track in a few minutes. If I'm not back before late it'll be because 1.) I'm winning or 2.) I'm waiting for a tow truck.

Or 3.) Come home early on a flat bed. :furious:

Got about 30 miles up the road, took my exit off of the freeway and as I slowed down the rear end started making some noise. Continued on the country road and the noise got louder. The noise changed with tire rotation/DS rotation, not engine RPMs. Turned around to head home. About 15 miles shy it was getting so fricken loud I couldn't take it. That and I figured if I pull off now, I still have a choice where to wait for the tow. Pulled into a parking lot and called the same company that towed me Saturday. Hey! They answered the phone again! As my son and I were waiting, I decided to re-position the car so that the Sun was at our backs. I moved the car, got out to smoke a fatty and then looked down to see a nice puddle where I was originally parked. Looked under the rear end - nothing. Looked under the tranny and WTF do you think I saw?

don_w

Reaction score
Man that sucks, but it's not like you weren't kind of expecting it. But I know that doesn't make it any easier. The only thing I can say is do some research before you decide what's next. Nothing worse that dropping a few grand only to regret it later.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look at Don acting all innocent... The "Enter" key from his "ah, just drive it till it breaks" post is still warm...

Again - all sarcasm and kicking you while you are down aside - this blows - sorry to hear it... :buttkick:Now back to our regularly scheduled cruelty...

p.s. on the bright side - it did not happen 1/2 way down the track at 80mph and send you into the wall...

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
Ture... but at least quote me correctly. I was saying what I would do... and I'm a tick off center.

but I can tell you what I'd do... I'd probably drive it until it breaks once and for all

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I shit you not, I had Chinese food for lunch today and this was encased within my dessert...

View attachment 1269

If anyone wants to PayPal $500 to me I'll let you know the lottery numbers from the back of it. I am a verified PayPal user and credit cards are OK.

And I don't believe in hitting these "walls" you speak of. I would simply fly over them.

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I shit you not, I had Chinese food for lunch today and this was encased within my desert...
You might want to avoid ladders, black cats, broken mirrors and Hollywood hookers for a little while - you seem to have a hex on you...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And I don't believe in hitting these "walls" you speak of. I would simply fly over them.
a. that can happen too - but then you hit the bleachers - that's bad form...
- hair, teeth and skin can be a bitch to get out of the radiator...
b. generally you only fly over it after tumbling for a bit - also ill-advised...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back