5R55S: She's Dead Jim. Or Maybe Not?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's what the roll bar is for. Sheesh, do we need to start from the beginning?
No, I have studied with the master:
"It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."
-- Fletch

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL.

Kinda off topic, but I wonder what Ford will say in the morning. I guess it really doesn't matter. I'll probably start calling Larry's in the morning. I would try and steal that yellow car again but it's owner is currently having fun at MY racetrack.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but I wonder what Ford will say in the morning.
Unless you like being pointed and laughed at - you might want to pass on that experience. Besides - that you can get here... :buttkick::roflmao:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless you like being pointed and laughed at - you might want to pass on that experience. Besides - that you can get here... :buttkick::roflmao:

Shouldn't you be flipping Krabby Pattys about now? When the car showed up (AGAIN) at the dealership the look on their faces was priceless.

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be flipping Crabby Pattys about now? When the car showed up (AGAIN) at the dealership the look on their faces was priceless.
Did you have a bag on your head? Did they offer you one? That would be the only right thing to do in that instance...

As for flipping crabby patties - it will take years of training before I am ready for that...

First I have to master optimism which isn't going well - so the search for the Zen of the Sponge continues...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks but it wasn't unexpected. Now you need to decide what route you want to go.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Bret.

As for what to do get one of those funny trannies that need your left foot to operate.
They're far more reliable than all of the other girlie options.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
As for what to do get one of those funny trannies that need your left foot to operate.
They're far more reliable than all of the other girlie options.

...................... :clap: here here.. we can do a conversion.. someone posted it up.

I say we pull screamn03 from the clutches of the pink stink and get dizzle and install a rebuilt one that can handle some hp!

Besides... we have the JDM Performance DVD to help us do it :laughlots:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but just think of the build thread you could do! And you would get to shift and play with a stick.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I prefer to get trophys.
I don't think they give torphies for blowing transmissions... You might be a "crowd favorite" if you walk away from trashing the car, but all you get is a bill for the damage and Ford service techs snickering at you... :flamethr::onfire:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You gotta pay to play. I drove the SYT to work earlier this week. It was a blast getting on the freeway. When I got to Sac and sat in the traffic, the fun was gone. I still don't regret getting the auto, it served me well and consistantly. Besides, it was always fun at the track to see boneheads walk by the car, look inside and then snicker "it's an automatic" to each other. 90% of the time said boneheads approached me later and asked how come I was so much faster than the other (S197) Mustangs. Not to mention the two recent Z06 kills notched on the dashboard...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how come I was so much faster than the other (S197) Mustangs.
Yeah - its strange for a lot of people that these new transmissions perform so well compared to the sticks. You have to be good with the clutch to keep up. So, I kid because I love...

Bumper to bumper or not - I just fall asleep driving an auto. Not only that, but it makes it more fun to go to the track and really have to work on your launch technique. You still have to work on with an auto, but its more cookbook - just getting the numbers right (stall RPM, tire PSI). With the stick, its more getting the feel right because there are too many numbers for the span of time. So, much as I may joke about trashing automatics as you might have noticed, I am always thinking about the auto options because I recognize they are very good now...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Besides, it was always fun at the track to see boneheads walk by the car, look inside and then snicker "it's an automatic" to each other.
LOL... I get similar reactions in the pits, except replace the "snicker" part, with, "Holy shit! That thing is an automatic? Wow!" hahah. They are generally dumbfounded... and I love it.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your tranny Bret. The symptoms are identical to what happened to mine. It was all caused by a blown rubber servo seal. I am extremely pleased with my new TCI built 5R55S. It feels identical to the stocker but I know it'll handle the power and abuse now. Call TCI and ask Stanley Poff about the options available now. I know for fact TCI bought 20 5R55S trannies about two months ago so they should be ready to ship by now. Kev

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. :beer:

Think I'm ready to pull a trigger (ANY trigger) but something else just jumped out at me. Torque Convertors. I can see how to pick a stall speed but my situation has changed somewhat. The blower will be put off for awhile. Should I just run the stock convertor until then?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would just ask for a 3000-3400 (just depending on what you want--I have a 3300) for a blower application. Keep in mind it also is going to depend on how much boost your going to run. Mine flashes higher now that I went to 16psi. But at 10psi lets say, a 3000 for a FI car would be like a 2500 n/a.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back