8 Bolt Flex Plate/5R55S/PI Torq. Conv.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I have read through dozens of threads on several forms and I can't seem to find a single post that actually references the Ford part # for an 8 bolt flex plate that will work with a 5R55S transmission and a PI torque converter. Several threads refer to non OEM flex plates but that's not what I want. I don't need an SFI approved flex plate. The local Ford dealer is clueless as well - not surprising.

I have seen several threads that clearly state to use a Triton V-10 flywheel but don't include a model year or specific part #. Can anyone please give me the OEM part #?

Please help

hottcobra

come try to take my guns!
Reaction score
don't quite know what you need. I have a P.I. 3500 stall converter and it bolts right up to the to the stock flexplate. the adaptor that is on the stock converter in not used.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The stock flex plate bolts to the OEM crankshft with 6 bolts. I am upgrading to a forged stroker crankshaft which uses 8 bolts to mount the flex plate.

spyder7724

Reaction score
I just deleted the PM i had with the ford part # someone had sent me a while back. It wasn't cheap through ford ($250) so i got an aftermarket SFI 8 bolt flexplate off ebay( don't remember the name) that was about $80 and it was relatively easy to install but i did have to cut the extra threads off the studs that bolt the factory adapter plate to the converter and also had to remove the mid plate for proper converter end play. also had to shim the starter to compensate for proper engagement. sounds like a lot but it really only took about 30 minutes and everything works great.
i've heard one from a 99-01 windsor plant 2V mustang 4.6 will work as well since they had 8 bolt cranks but again it might be pricey from ford.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have read through dozens of threads on several forms and I can't seem to find a single post that actually references the Ford part # for an 8 bolt flex plate that will work with a 5R55S transmission and a PI torque converter. Several threads refer to non OEM flex plates but that's not what I want. I don't need an SFI approved flex plate. The local Ford dealer is clueless as well - not surprising.

I have seen several threads that clearly state to use a Triton V-10 flywheel but don't include a model year or specific part #. Can anyone please give me the OEM part #?

Please help

Call me in the morning todd, ill give you the skinny...dont remember part numbers and the details but ive got it all written down. Ive been through this many a time already!

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the converter you may have to trim the converter plate some if you use your stock converter, i think. Also the flex plate we use we re drill the holes for the mounting studs. Its a ford racing part #....

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
It all depends on the converter you may have to trim the converter plate some if you use your stock converter, i think. Also the flex plate we use we re drill the holes for the mounting studs. Its a ford racing part #....
Jim i was just going tell him to contact you since i had gotten all that info from you a while ago but couldn't find it....too many PMs in the box :)

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford Racing M-6375-H46 is the flywheel we use here. When you bolt it up though you will see the holes that line up to the converter studs are too small and they have to be opened up some. If your using a stock torque converter you need to trim the outside edge of the converter plate.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Jim III- if I'm understanding you correctly here's the deal:

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will work with the OEM (or TCI) torque converter if you trim the OD of the factory adapter plate and enlarge the 4 stud holes in the flex plate.

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will also work with the PI T/C with no trimming of the adapter plate as the PI T/C doesn't use an adapter plate.

Questions:
Do you have to enlarge the holes in the flex plate for the PI T/C.
Any issues with using the OEM starter with this flex plate or any other modifications required?

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will work with the OEM (or TCI) torque converter if you trim the OD of the factory adapter plate and enlarge the 4 stud holes in the flex plate.

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will also work with the PI T/C with no trimming of the adapter plate as the PI T/C doesn't use an adapter plate.

Questions:
Any issues with using the OEM starter with this flex plate or any other modifications required?

Yes that is all correct and yes even with the PI converter you have to enlarge the holes for the converter studs. No issues with the OEM starter being used. No other modifications required!

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Questions:

Hey man did you end up going this route I will be needing a 8 bolt here soon but same deal as you I really don't need anything sfi approved , also didn't someone say a v10 flexplate would work also ?

edit : looked at more threads in the search v10 will work lol

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Yes I purchased the FRPP M-6375-H46. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but if JDM says it will work with the modifications noted, that's good enough for me.

By the way I picked it up for $49.50.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes I purchased the FRPP M-6375-H46. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but if JDM says it will work with the modifications noted, that's good enough for me.

By the way I picked it up for $49.50.

link ? I found it a few places but all in the 60-65 range , I know 9 outta 10 it's just like every other part for ours and just went up since though

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I didn't post a link because they are not an official vendor for this site and I didn't feel it was fair to give away free advertising.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
I got mine from Livernois for $89

8 bolt FP for PI converter.... and I think it was 39 for the ARP bolts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back