8 Bolt Flex Plate/5R55S/PI Torq. Conv.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
It all depends on the converter you may have to trim the converter plate some if you use your stock converter, i think. Also the flex plate we use we re drill the holes for the mounting studs. Its a ford racing part #....

What do you mean "trim the converter plate"? I'll be using a stock or tci converter.

Also, what ARP bolts do we need for these. (I'll be using a 8-bolt, too.)

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
What do you mean "trim the converter plate"? I'll be using a stock or tci converter.

Also, what ARP bolts do we need for these. (I'll be using a 8-bolt, too.)
Both the OEM and TCI T/Cs use an adapter plate that bolts to the front of the T/C housing (that MUST be properly aligned). That adapter plate in turn bolts to the flex plate. The OD of that adapter plate must be machined smaller to fit with most aftermarket flex plates. Keep in mind the TCI T/C is nothing more than a reworked OEM T/C.

The PI T/C does not use an adapter plate as it has a billet housing.

The ARP part number for the 8 bolts for the flex plate is 254-2901

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score

I plan on selling the tci converter anyways at some point; it came with the tranny I bought. So will be going with a stock one (which I don't have) or a PI right away.

Other than the critical alignment of the converter bolts, what about shimming/spacing issues? Using the ford flexplate listed in this thread.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Thanks :) Other than the critical alignment of the converter bolts, what about shimming/spacing issues? Using the ford flexplate listed in this thread.

These 2 posts about sum it up

Jim III- if I'm understanding you correctly here's the deal:

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will work with the OEM (or TCI) torque converter if you trim the OD of the factory adapter plate and enlarge the 4 stud holes in the flex plate.

The FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate will also work with the PI T/C with no trimming of the adapter plate as the PI T/C doesn't use an adapter plate.

Questions:
Do you have to enlarge the holes in the flex plate for the PI T/C.
Any issues with using the OEM starter with this flex plate or any other modifications required?

Yes that is all correct and yes even with the PI converter you have to enlarge the holes for the converter studs. No issues with the OEM starter being used. No other modifications required!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Now that I have my PI torque converter and FRPP flex plate I thought I would share some first hand information on using the FRPP M-6375-H46 flex plate with a PI torque converter. As previously mentioned the PI torque converter doesn't use the adapter plate that the OEM or TCI torque converters use.

The attached pictures show the flex plate resting on top of the PI torque converter as it would in the vehicle. Just as Jim III stated earlier the mounting holes in the FRPP flex plate do align properly with the PI torque converter but are too small and must be enlarged for (4) the 3/8" -24 bolts supplied with the PI torque converter. The original hole size in the FRPP flex plate is just over 1/4".

Tomorrow I will take the flex plate to work and enlarge these holes using a radial drill press since I have access to one. This will assure the holes are not off center from the original bolt circle for a trouble/vibration free installation. This sounds like an absolute necessity, but as long as the holes don't get drilled off center this could be accomplished with any number of tools. I just wouldn't recommend doing it free hand with a hand drill or even a POS drill press.

Just a reminder, I am using the FRPP flex plate as I am not using it in a track application. I will hold up just fine at my power level and more. However, this flex plate is NOT SFI approved.

Attachments

• 102_0224_Vga.JPG
    102_0224_Vga.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 56
  • 102_0225_Vga.JPG
    102_0225_Vga.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 53

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
The stock ford V10 triton flexplate is 8 bolt and will bolt up to the PI convertor with no modifications. This is what I am using. I will post the part number for it later today after I go to the shop. I have posted it before in other threads or maybe PMs.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The stock ford V10 triton flex plate is 8 bolt and will bolt up to the PI converter with no modifications. This is what I am using. I will post the part number for it later today after I go to the shop. I have posted it before in other threads or maybe PMs.

I ask that very question at the beginning of this thread and almost everyone agreed that the V10 flex plate would work but no one could give me the exact year or a part number. Where were you then?

That is why I went the direction of the FRPP flex plate. The cost of the FRPP flex plate is very attractive and was recommended to me by JDM.

Of course neither are SFI approved

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry but there are times when I am not on the board for a month or so. I just went to ford and ask for the V10 truck flexplate and I think there is only one part number listed for all years. ordered it 2 1/2 years ago and only got it installed this last summer.
I thought I posted the number when I was having thrust bearing issues and thought it might be from clearance issues from the flexplate but it turned out to be the crank was just too tight. 5 thousands clearance may be in spec for a stock motor but you need to be on the high end of spec when you are pushing 600 hp or more. I now have .013 clearance on the crank and no more thrust issues. Now just have to get the 5r55s to hold up. Lost third gear again even with the TCI billet servors.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I went to Ford and searched through all years of the V10 and there were several part numbers for the flex plates.

Concerning 5R55S failures I've been there and done that - twice. Once due to the installer of the first TCI torque converter not having the adapter plate aligned properly and it trashed the trans pump in less that 30 miles. Second time was a 3rd gear failure as well. When we disassembled the transmission, we also found the input shaft twisted but not broken. This time around I will be using a TCI billet input shaft, PI torque converter and JDM tune. If the transmission was out I would upgrade to TCI's billet servos but for now I'll just have to take my chances. Transmission failures are the main reason I do not want more than 550 RWHP at this time as I don't want to upgrade to a 4R70W.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I too am getting the FRPP flexplate and plan to use it with a PI converter.
Tmcolegr, in the pics, you have holes marked with an 'x' and next to those are studs sticking through; which are the holes needed? Seems the studs or bolts are at an angle.

(I dont have my plate or converter yet so I can't just go out and try it yet.)

And my tranny is out; would upgrading to the billet servos potentially help? Considering also an entire rebuild with the hardenned input shaft.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
in the pics, you have holes marked with an 'x' and next to those are studs sticking through; which are the holes needed?

Don't be confused. In the first picture the bolts are only sitting on the flex plate outside of the 4 holes marked with an "x" that will need to be enlarged. The PI torque converter doesn't use studs - only the 4 bolts in the picture.

would upgrading to the billet servos potentially help? Considering also an entire rebuild with the hardened input shaft.

While the motor is out I will be installing a TCI hardened input shaft and of course the PI torque converter. If my transmission were out I would upgrade to the TCI billet servos as well.

IMO anything you can do to help the 5R55S live longer in a high HP application should be considered whenever possible - most importantly the tune.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I too am getting the FRPP flexplate and plan to use it with a PI converter.
Tmcolegr, in the pics, you have holes marked with an 'x' and next to those are studs sticking through; which are the holes needed? Seems the studs or bolts are at an angle.

(I dont have my plate or converter yet so I can't just go out and try it yet.)

And my tranny is out; would upgrading to the billet servos potentially help? Considering also an entire rebuild with the hardenned input shaft.

Want to know the easiest way to have it modified correctly ? It's real easy call jim@jdm order this part and for another 50 bucks they will trim the ring and drill the holes .... I figure I rather spend the 50 bucks and let someone who has done it a million times do it instead of me F'n it up and be SOL when it comes time to install mine .

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
It's real easy call jim@jdm order this part and for another 50 bucks they will trim the ring and drill the holes

With the PI torque converter there's nothing to trim as it doesn't use the OEM adapter plate - just need to enlarge the 4 bolt holes

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know but I will be using a re-stalled stocker for now , depending on how it works I may keep it if not I will step up to a P I

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
not trying to:deadhorse:

but the ring that must be trimmed is the adapter plate that bolts to the front of the OEM torque converter. So you will either have to ship that to JDM, have a local machine shop reduce the OD, or do it yourself.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I dont think you're :deadhorse:
It's now clear to me what needs to be trimmed: that adapter plate you bolt to the front of the stock converter or to the front of a TCI converter.
Yeah, trimming it would be critical for balance I would think.

Would the V10 flexplate not require trimming of the adapter plate? (for others' interests)

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not trying to:deadhorse:

but the ring that must be trimmed is the adapter plate that bolts to the front of the OEM torque converter. So you will either have to ship that to JDM, have a local machine shop reduce the OD, or do it yourself.

Hmmmmm ok , auto shit is Chinese to me I guess I have to get with jdm in the morning and see wtf I paid them 50 bucks for then . They told me they would modify what I needed the next day and send it out to me asap .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back