14" Brembo brake clearance for 18" wheels

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
This is a debate thread about wheel spacers. Before we begin this debate it's important for those who do not understand how hard wheels are to find in the 18" size that will clear the 14" Brembo brakes on the GT500. You can find a few different types of 20" wheels, but 18" wheels other than the OEM type are rare. I want to keep 18" wheels on my GT500, and I have a new set removed from a 2008 GT that I want to use. The rears fit fine, but the front require about 7/8" spacer to clear the 14" Brembo brakes. I DO NOT WANT 20" wheels, don't bother suggesting it.

Now, on to the debate.

There are two types of wheel spacers that I am considering.

H&R 1" Hub centric adapter style spacers

or

Mustang Wheel spacers with replacement studs

I would use the 7/8" size if I use the replacement stud type.

Mustang Wheel 7/8" Wheel spacers

The Mustang Wheels Spacers say that the H&R style is the inferior design, and not as strong.

IMO, I believe it's easier/safer to check proper torque specs on the replacement studs style than the adapter style. You don't have to remove the wheel, test the torque on 5 lugs, reinstall the wheel, and re-torque the 5 lugs that hold the wheel to the adapter. You only have to torque the 5 lugs that hold the hub centric spacer AND the wheel. The stronger studs seem to be able to handle the stress.

Remember, this is for the front wheels ONLY, not the rear. The rear wheels bolt directly to the OEM hubs.

Discuss, which ones are safer and more dependable?

wheelspacers.jpg

wheelspacer2.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FWIW, I ran those H&R style spacers for a long time on my 10 sec '93 Cobra and never had an issue.

I really don't think you'll have an issue with either one.

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
at least here in Germany, one track wont let you run passive spacer, like the second ones you posted, but the H&R's that bolt on are fine.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
alot of tracks wont let you use the pass through spacer. i would go for the h&r or buy a set of steeda wheels in 18" that clear the brembos(they have plenty)...
also for big bucks you could get True Forged to make you a set of 18's that will clear the brembo's. it seems your trying to cheap out by getting spacers which is inferior to getting a proper set of wheels.

my 2 cents and take it for whatever you feel. was not trying to be rude with the above post.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention that most tracks won't allow you to run those. I used them on my car for the street.

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Are you wanted to upgrade to a NON OEM style rim..?? Or are you strictly set on the GT OEM rim...If your dead set I would stick with the H&R's there a great company and there products are very very nice - in any case here is a reference for you.....
NO SPACERS needed with 18" Saleens using the 99-04 offset with H&R SS

956546bbcd.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
alot of tracks wont let you use the pass through spacer. i would go for the h&r or buy a set of steeda wheels in 18" that clear the brembos(they have plenty)...
also for big bucks you could get True Forged to make you a set of 18's that will clear the brembo's. it seems your trying to cheap out by getting spacers which is inferior to getting a proper set of wheels.

my 2 cents and take it for whatever you feel. was not trying to be rude with the above post.

Not trying to cheap out at all. I have a very expensive set of wheels and tires (aftermarket) that I bought for the 2008 GT. Immediately after the purchase I found a deal to hard to pass up on a 2009 GT500. I kept the expensive wheels from the 2008 GT and traded in that car with the OEM set of wheels. I really want to use these wheels, and I don't really want to spare the cash to buy another set of wheels that fit. Transfer the tires and TPM sensors to the new wheels. Then I would have to sell these wheels. I don't want to go through all of that.

Also, my 2009 already has the OEM GT500 wheels on it. I'm already bored with the wheels and the OEM F1 supercar tires SUCK! PERIOD! Worse tire ever for a car like this.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
More aggressive offset worked for me, 26mm offset 03/04 Cobra style wheels.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
More aggressive offset worked for me, 26mm offset 03/04 Cobra style wheels.

They also make the front 24mm offset version of my wheels (mine are 38mm). This may be the answer, just buy two more wheels. Hmmm....

My calculations say the 24mm offset wheel would provide .55" more clearance versus the 38mm. Now I have to remove the SVT wheels and see if .55" will allow the aftermarket wheel to clear the Brembo caliper.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i really would sell the set of wheels you have and get some true forged. they are flat out the sickest sets of wheels out there. check out the chicane style or the "6" style. both look fantastic and can be had in multiple colors and offsets.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
About to install some Brembos on my car. I was also considering getting the pass through spacers with the longer studs, but $250 is pretty steep for a set of 4. I plan on running stock 18in wheels. I'm spacing the front and rear.

I was planning on running these for ease of install and cost. I don't really want to remove my studs and replace them if I don't have to.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-billet-aluminum-wheel-spacers.html

Does anyone foresee any problems running this style of adapter? Anyone ever have an issue with these? I don't like how they aren't hubcentric, but that shouldn't cause an issue if I pay attention installing them?

Just found these on eBay and they are hub centric. I'm generally leery of buying no-name parts on eBay though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-1-For...-Hubcentric-Fits-Mustang-Shelby-/261296091258

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I used a set of the H&R 25mm spacers like those you are looking at. They were excellent in accomplishing their purpose. I used blue Loctite on the car's studs, to add a bit of security. I did more than twenty autocross runs on R-comp rubber without them loosening in the least.

If the stock wheels you are talking about are like the GT/CS polished aluminum 18x8.5s, the car's studs will interfere with the wheels. You'll have to take off about five mm from the ends of the studs, or the wheels will not seat on the hub. The wheels I used were the "Fanblades", which have voids where the studs would make contact, so cinching them down was not a problem.

Here's one user's description of how he made his car with Brembos fit his wheels.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks a bunch man. Now I know I need to bring my grinder home when I go to tackle this project!

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
I would say as long as the spacers are centeric (hub or lug) and as long as the studs are specially treated you should be ok. I would say get the H&R kit or the hub centric spacers and replace your studs with the ARP/FR hardened/treated ones... American Muscle makes ok stuff, but this is one place its definitely worth the extra money.

Also, as others have said, there are other 18s that fit well... just depends on what you like. Saleens, Drifts (+26mm) etc fit in 18 with brembos.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back