Saleen S/C Intercooler Plumbing questions ..

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
I emailed Saleen the following question and wanted to get you guys input ...

I just bought a Saleen SuperShaker for my S197 Mustang.

I am installing a aftermarket Coolant tank in the empty space left from the AirBox Removal and won' be using the Saleen Supplied tank.

Is it possible to install the Water Pump on the Driver Side instead of the Passenger side? The main question is it OK to pump Water into the LOW INLET of the heat exchanger and have it come out the HIGH INLET of the heat exchanger. I have been told that other manufacturers do this so the coolant stays in the exchanger a little bit longer.

Do you see any issue with me setting it up this way? I was thinking of just flipping the exchanger to move the HIGH INLET to the drivers side but the brackets are not setup to do this easily.

Another Question ... is it important to have a specific port in the intercooler be the INLET or OUTLET ??? In your directions the driver side is the INLET and the Passenger side is the OUTLET. I would like to swap them since I'm moving the Coolant reservoir from the Passenger side to the Driver Side ..

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Don't think either one really matters for direction. I am running the AFCO HE right now and am going "backwards". It is piping with air fins to move air over the tubing. I would think you would want to have the intercooler after the HE, direction doesn't seem to be important.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I'm going to use the Roush Coolant Tank which is larger than the Saleen tank and mounts next to the Radiator Coolant reservoir on the radiator support instead of all the way over on the passenger strut tower. It should majorly clean up all the hoses that Saleen uses and look much better.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am running a Gord's HE which is exactly opposite of the Saleen HE. I relocated my pump to the drivers side, and redid the hoses so that they route in and out (hi and low) the same as the Saleen setup did. I am also using a Metco coolant tank mounted to the drivers side shock tower that is considerably larger than that beer can that Saleen uses.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna need to change my plans a little.

JDM worked with Saleen and Saleen built me a Custom 2010 SuperShaker kit. They added the Shaker Scoop to a 2010 VI.5 Kit. The 2010 HE is huge .. almost same size as the radiator and mounts in front of the A/C condenser. Both inlet and outlet are on passenger side and according to the 2010 install directions .. the pump connects to the LOW inlet not the upper one like previous Saleen setups.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
sub'ed as well. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
The kit is supposed to be enroute so should have it soon ... here are the pics of the HE install from the 2010 directions that Saleen sent me today ... there are no pics of just the HE but it is almost as large as the radiator ...

This page is showing it being mounted in front the the A/C condenser ...

2010he.jpg

Back