Started a diy Paxton air to air intercooler

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The kit I ordered from cxracing arrived yesterday. Started putting it together last night, did some more today. Now I'm waiting for more parts to arrive so it will be on hold till they get here.

Here's the progress so far:

I didn't feel the supplied mounting hardware was stout enough so I bent up a couple of z brackets out of aluminum stock to help support it. Drilled all the way through the bumper and used the same bolts to secure top and bottom brackets.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

Got the bottom tubes on and in the right spots to get in the engine bay. The passenger side is through and waiting for the tb coupler and associated parts to get here. The driver side will take a little more thought but shouldn't be too big of a deal.

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

The extra brackets are tweaking the chin spoiler just a little. Everything still went back together without any hacking.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

That's as far as I can go until more parts arrive on Friday.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Looks fantastic!:clap:

I chewed up some drill bits drilling through my bumper to move my horn. That thing must be hardened steel!!! LOL!!!!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Going BT?

Not at this time. I'm keeping the boost low and it drives great as is.

Cx racing.

Yep, cx. I got the idea by searching paxton and vortech intercooler on this site. You and Greg had posted some info on an install and Silentscope had a thread too. Cx came up in both of them.

I tried to research sizing air to air intercoolers prior to the purchase but wasn't too sucessful. I went with a 31 x 12 x 3 with 3" tubing. Core size is 24 x 11.75 x 3. If I understood what I read correctly it should support up to 1100 cfm which is more than the throttle body will flow.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice job. I love mine.

Your passenger side pipes look a little low. Be careful... it'll mash the tensioner when you pull into a parking spot and hit one of those curb things.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Nice job. I love mine.

Your passenger side pipes look a little low. Be careful... it'll mash the tensioner when you pull into a parking spot and hit one of those curb things.

I hate those curb things. You sound like the voice of experience, lol. There is a plan in place to secure everything once all the parts are in. Clearance is pretty tight, I almost wish I went with 2.75" tubes instead of 3" for a little more room around the sway bar.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
So do it. Or give Marc a call and see what it would cost installed. It will make your wife happy.

its one of those shouldn't spent the money on it things. hopefully the pricing stays around the same for a little while longer.

yur2slo

Yur2Slo
Reaction score
not to thread jack but how well does a cheaper intercooler like cx or godspeed work? though about upgrading to a larger intercooler cause my procharger is so tiny. just worried a larger one wont be a effecient as the procharger one.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not to thread jack but how well does a cheaper intercooler like cx or godspeed work? though about upgrading to a larger intercooler cause my procharger is so tiny. just worried a larger one wont be a effecient as the procharger one.

These ar every efficient intercoolers for the price and work very well. They are straight line horizontal flow though vice the procharger which is vertical flow I believe. Not sure there is a direct swap. FYI procharger intercoolers are known to be some of the best out there as well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back