Started a diy Paxton air to air intercooler

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Looks really good Bruce. I know you said the 3" piping was tight but what about that sized IC? Is there any room for a taller and or thicker intercooler in there? Good job.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Looks really good Bruce. I know you said the 3" piping was tight but what about that sized IC? Is there any room for a taller and or thicker intercooler in there? Good job.

Others have gone with a 4" thick version. There really isn't any more room height or width wise but there is plenty of depth. I was advised to go with the 4" but decided the 3 was better suited to my goals.

I've had to revise some of the driver side. Sharp right turns were pushing the pipes into the balancer because the tire would push on the tubes. The fix was easy, just cut down the first two tubes from the intercooler. I'll take some picks and edit the previous post with an update.

I picked up a muffler tube cutter today from China Frieght. This is the best solution to cutting tubes.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Haha on China freight. Pretty much spot on though.

wa2fst4u

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great and awesome write-up with pictures!!

This helped me a ton since I just started doing research for an A2A IC.

I just ordered the "kit" based on your description of what's needed. Slightly over $300 for everything (I upgraded some of the existing clamps to T-bolts).

Should be starting the install on (Oct 14-16th) - will add pics and more info to this thread (if that's ok).

Currently have the Vortech V3 Si (2006 GT).

Thank you again!!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments. Just got back from the dyno. I felt confident enough in the intercooler to raise spark advance to 19 degrees and command 11.9 for af. Once again Andy at The Mustang Shop did some final tweaking for me as the maf xfer had changed some. As much as I like making adjustments with prp it's alot faster and easier to turn him loose on tweaking my caveman tunes.

Here is the before. Notice without the intercooler it made 10.5 psi of boost at 7k. This was the glory dyno with an extended cooldown, the pull prior to this was 463rwhp.

PaxtonDyno.jpg

Now the after. No cool down. Only 8.1 psi of boost which means a little over 2 lbs was lost with the IC. Notice the IAT was 63-65 degrees during the pull. Ambient in the shop was 62. During normal driving I'm seeing 15-20 over ambient.

PaxtonAtoAIC014.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back