2012 6A Transmission Whine

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Well I took the car into the dealer today for my transmission whine. Around the 6000 mile mark the trans started whining when I put the car in gear and you could also hear it when going down the road. They put the car on the lift and said it was either the pump or converter. I take it back next Monday and they said they would have it for at least one week to do the repair. The car is bone stock with the exception of the GT500 axle back mufflers. I'm pretty bummed out about this repair thinking I was upgrading from the junk ass MT82 trans that was in my 2011 car. I've read where a few others have had to have this repair done also. On the bright side they did say that I would get a rental while my car was in the shop. I just hope it doesn't come back to me with door dings and scratches and they get it fixed on the first try......

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Got the car back from the dealer 2 days ago. They say Ford says the whining is normal and is caused by slightly higher line pressure in the 6R80 Mustangs. Dealer said they compared my car to another 6R80 Mustang and that car had the whine but not as loud as mine so Ford says no further action needed at this time. I'm calling bullshit on this one, what do you guys think?

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
I might buy that if it was like that from day one. Not of it just started

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. I've owned quite a few mustangs or varying generations, all of which have made some form of whine, clunk or rattle.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Damn. Took them 3 weeks? I'd be pissed.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I might buy that if it was like that from day one. Not of it just started

My thoughts exactly. I explained to them it didn't whine in the beginning. I really don't know what to do next if anything. The service manager said well at least we have it documented......

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't settle for that answer. My trans doesn't make any unusual noises. It spends most of it's time around 7,800 RPM at the track as well. Time to contact Ford customer care and file a complaint.

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. I've owned quite a few mustangs or varying generations, all of which have made some form of whine, clunk or rattle.

this

i've had 20+ Mustangs of every generation except the Mustang II. they ALL make some kind of noise.

my 12 just recently started making a slight noise whenever the HVAC is on that my 13 doesn't make and im pretty sure the 12 didn't make it before a few weeks ago. the time/trouble to track it down and fix it isn't worth the effort. i just turn the radio up a notch and don't worry about it. i won't have the air on with the top down anyway :)

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
It's documented so just drive and enjoy it. My '09 has 18K on it and makes noises. These are not quiet cars.

J Tennu

Reaction score
I don't know how loud the whine may sound, but as long as you took it in to have it checked you should be good for now. Drive it!

Oh! And I have one of those so-called junk MT-82's... took it in upon hearing some sound after 1st oil change... they took too long to get a tech to check it, so I grabbed it back out. After 20k miles of beating on it, it's still going strong. I stopped being paranoid. MGW short throw shifter put on there, too!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back