Cold start issues

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am on my second tuner and this was my fourth revision and I'm still having horrible issues with cold starts. I had one revision that idles around 14.4 on the wideband but the tip in goes so lean that it cuts out, it will fall on it's face or die. The latest revision idles at 10.1 on the wideband and does the same thing and that's where I left off with the previous tuner. The car runs damn near perfect when the engine is warmed up to operating temperature but I'm not sitting around for 15 minutes before i take the car for a drive. The first tuner told me this was normal for a car like mine but it's not that wild of a setup, keep in mind I'm on a stock long block.

Is there anything other than the tune that could cause the issue? I don't think there is but just want to make sure. I would like to figure this out before ruining another set of HT0's or wash down the cylinder walls from excess fuel.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am on my second tuner and this was my fourth revision and I'm still having horrible issues with cold starts. I had one revision that idles around 14.4 on the wideband but the tip in goes so lean that it cuts out, it will fall on it's face or die. The latest revision idles at 10.1 on the wideband and does the same thing and that's where I left off with the previous tuner. The car runs damn near perfect when the engine is warmed up to operating temperature but I'm not sitting around for 15 minutes before i take the car for a drive. The first tuner told me this was normal for a car like mine but it's not that wild of a setup, keep in mind I'm on a stock long block.

Is there anything other than the tune that could cause the issue? I don't think there is but just want to make sure. I would like to figure this out before ruining another set of HT0's or wash down the cylinder walls from excess fuel.

Do a search. Lots of info has recently been discussed about cold start issues. It's an easy fix in the tune.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Possibly but the reason for the thread is to make sure it couldn't be something other than the tune rather than keep throwing money at tuners in hopes that it will be fixed. I was confident this tuner would fix the issue with no problems so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I was just having the same issues...With it running 10's, its extremely rich. Its dumping too much fuel into the chamber and getting the plugs wet. Before it dies, does it start bogging like for instance go down to about 200 rpms and then jump up to around 1200 and then start choking and hesitating real bad?

The tuner needs to adjust the cold start fuel tables and lean it out on cold start. My tuner did it for me over the internet. It's not 100% fixed, but I would say 94%. Im going to meet with him this weekend to finally get dyno tuned so I shouldnt have anymore issues

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was just having the same issues...With it running 10's, its extremely rich. Its dumping too much fuel into the chamber and getting the plugs wet. Before it dies, does it start bogging like for instance go down to about 200 rpms and then jump up to around 1200 and then start choking and hesitating real bad?

The tuner needs to adjust the cold start fuel tables and lean it out on cold start. My tuner did it for me over the internet. It's not 100% fixed, but I would say 94%. Im going to meet with him this weekend to finally get dyno tuned so I shouldnt have anymore issues

The car falls flat on it's face and sometimes dies when trying to take off from a stop or when easing into the throttle.

Time for a new tuner for sure! What are your mods btw?

Not much, they are a Paxton 2200, 39lb injectors, delete plates, JPC intake and Kooks headers with off road x.

jobeonnet

Reaction score
i recently did an auto to manual swap and every since i am experiancing this same stuff (lean tip-in)when cold, the first tuner has tuned over 200 cars with my exact set-up and couldnt do mine(6 email tunes and 20 datalogs)so i loaded up the car and dropped it off at the second tuner and got a call last week that my engine has gernaded while they were fine tuning, so im at a stand still until i get a new bottom end..
i recently ran across a thread on a differant fourm that sounded pretty close to what i was experiancing, he fought it for a year and it ended up being the PCV in the valve cover. i didnt get a chance to check mine but it just creates a vacuum leak. i think to check it you could just plug the PCV line that goes from the passenger valve cover to the intake tube on the intake side. im not mechanic so maybe someone will chime in.
good luck with your issue, maybe this will help.

Kirk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back