Disappointed Dyno

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
Had my first Dyno run today and I am little disappointed at the results (based on the mods installed). The one difference is I installed the Bama 93 octane race tune. Mike at Dayton Performance said that I should be getting better results than this and suggested a dyno tune. To be honest, I had nothing to really base my expectations on but from what I have been reading in multiple forums.

So, the questions is...are these results typical for the mods installed?

2012-04-28_14-03-46_470.jpg

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
seems kinda low... my 4.6 made 308whp 320wtq with just a jlt intake, cut/clamp xpipe, axle back, underdrive pulleys, and a 92 octane performance tune from bama. stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats, stock cams, stock tb, no delete plugs...

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Don't let the dyno # dissapoint you.
Mine dynoed @ 275/275 LMAO but still runs 12.6~7 @ 110.
We have similar mods minus the cams and throttle body.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think it's a little low considering what I've seen from other 4.6 'Stangs with like mods. I'm not sure if the tune is the reason for it either since you did pick up a nice bit of horsepower, almost 40. Not sure why the torque is down unless it's the cams. I would of expected about 325hp/320tq with your mods, give or take, at that temperature and humidity.

Some engines just don't dyno as well as others. A guy in my local Mustang Car Club has a 2012 GT with the same mods as I have. Exactly the same down to the exhaust setup. Same dyno, same night, within 30 minutes of each other with me going first and him second, I hit 419/393. He got 390/377. I had 17k miles on my car and he had 15k already.

I told him to make sure his AdvanceTrac was completely off and do the pull in 5th. His numbers went up to 402/385. The only thing I could come up with was that he has stock wheels/tires and I have after market wheels/tires with about 40lbs less rotating mass.

The most important indicator of how well your car is performing is from the drag strip. What times have you put down before? Compare those to your next trip. I wish your dyno graph showed RPM instead of speed.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A decent tune should get you about 330 with your mods. The local dyno datalogs and displays values during a pull. A local guy with hot rods, o/r pipe, and cai got a whopping 300rwhp. The bama tune was only advancing the spark 27 degrees and a/f was 12.5 at the tailpipe.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with that's low, that is close to the numbers I was making before I went FI; I had the HR cams/Kooks LT's, etc but I am an automatic so I would think you would have had better numbers but the 410's do hurt some ion the dyno.

Do you have larger than stock rims/tires?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First pull was 5000 and second was 5800.

And there you go, you would need to rev to 6500-6800 to see peak gains/power.

Probably pick up another 15-20rwhp revving it higher.

Last edited:

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with that's low, that is close to the numbers I was making before I went FI; I had the HR cams/Kooks LT's, etc but I am an automatic so I would think you would have had better numbers but the 410's do hurt some ion the dyno.

Do you have larger than stock rims/tires?

I still have the stock tires but purchased aftermarket rims.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so no 20's or anything like that....got it.

Is your H pipe catted or no?

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
And there you go, you would need to rev to 6500-6800 to see peak gains.

He said the RPM was up to me, but I really don't know what it should be. Mike at Dayton Performance originally said 6000 & 6500. The tech mentioned that any changes to the valve chain would impact the RPM limit. I mentioned that I had Detroit Rocker CAMs and he said he didn't know the limit. Mike then changed it down to 5000 & 5800.

If the CAMs are the limiting factor then how do I find out the correct RPM?

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so how do you determine the RPM level with your mods? Are the CAMS the real limiting factor?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He said the RPM was up to me, but I really don't know what it should be. Mike at Dayton Performance originally said 6000 & 6500. The tech mentioned that any changes to the valve chain would impact the RPM limit. I mentioned that I had Detroit Rocker CAMs and he said he didn't know the limit. Mike then changed it down to 5000 & 5800.

If the CAMs are the limiting factor then how do I find out the correct RPM?

The higher lift, longer duration and tighter lsa of those cams shifts peak torque down and peak hp higher in the rpm range. You are going to want to rev to 6500ish to take adavtage of those cams. I would set your rev limiter to 6800 and rev to 6500-6600.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back